Ah! I shorted my battery.. now I can't reset the protection

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lucidPerspective
Ah! I shorted my battery.. now I can't reset the protection

Post by lucidPerspective » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Heya, i have THIS battery ..while testing some voltages I bridged positive and negative from my battery. the protection circuit kicked in and now I can't get it to snap out of it :|

when I test the battery voltage I get a reading of -03.4mV ..standard voltage is 9V to12.6V ..when the protection kicks in in a way that it resets itself by turning the battery on then off, the voltage is around 3v.. it's a 3 cell battery. Also plugging it into the charger doesn't fix it..

Anyone have any idea of a fix? Aside from this battery problem, and my lack of a controller, my N64p is basically done, so would really like to get this sorted :)

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: Ah! I shorted my battery.. now I can't reset the protection

Post by blaze3927 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:50 pm

i had this occur multiple times,
try reflowing the solder/adding more to both circuits
removing the circuit completely and leaving for a few hours
removing the batteries and just attatching charger

following these steps did the trick for me
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Lame.. I was hoping there would be a way to fix it without removing it, the whole back side of the portabe was done and hot glued into place..hopefully I can remove the battery without causing major damage lol. guess it serves me right.. I should've only hot glued when everything was there 100% working :|

Hopefully your suggestions bring my battery back to life :)

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 pm

I fixed it :D and I didn't even have to unglue it.

what I did was.. solder a cable direct to the battery (with a resister on the positive to limit the current to 100mA), bypassing the protection circuit, and then plugged that cable into the charge jack (that goes to the battery, but through the protection circuit) ..so kinda charging the battery from itself lol, left that on for 30 seconds, quickly unplugged it and plugged the normal charger in. and it's fixed! yay me :D

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:01 pm

okay not working again.. turned it on, worked. turned it off. turned it on again, nothing. battery voltage is back at 03.4mV ..I didn't touch anything between the two times of turning it on.. think the battery is broken?

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:10 am

^^highly doubt it, i have this much fun when putting mine in xD

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 am

They're such a pain! lol, I can't believe you recommended them to me :P

OK! the battery's protection circuit was at fault. managed to get it to reset by removing the + and - wires. connected it back to my N64p, N64 red LED comes on for 2 seconds then goes back off again, battery back in protection mode..

I then checked all my wiring, even replaced my PTH08080 regulator with a new one (wired much neater) ..still this battery goes into super protection mode when I connect it..

I had bought 2 of these batteries, so I hooked the one up that was still closed up in it's metal box thing and it works fine connected exactly the same way to the N64p.

From that I concluded that the protection circuit on the battery was at fault. so I checked over all the connections, checking for bridges etc..two of the chips had 2 pins bridged (later found out they were meant to be lol) , I couldn't get them to unbridge, so I desoldered and resoldered them. everything looked fine to me.. but still over protective :shock: sooo, I give up :D I'll just take apart my other working battery and chuck it in there. waste of $30 though :( ..guess I can just buy a new protection circuit for the cells, but still :o

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 am

^^ they only stuff'd up after you initially short them :P
but i will admit i did also buy two and swap out the protection board, but the board that i thought was at fault works perfectly fine.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:41 am

Haha, it's true.. but it's not a very good protection circuit if it breaks when it's tripped :wink:

..wait, so you swapped out the board with the other one, and it worked. but then the board you took out still worked? ..These are WAY too temperamental lol

blaze3927
Portablizer

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:53 pm

the one ive got in there now has been flawless for the past few months, once re-wired and i havent needed to touch them again.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:07 am

I hope my ones the same :)