PAL-compatible portable SNES clone

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

LogicalUnit
PAL-compatible portable SNES clone

Post by LogicalUnit » Thu May 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here! :D

I have a large collection of Australian PAL format SNES games. I'd love to be able to play them on a portable device. Sure, I could run an emulator on my laptop, but I want to HACK something!!

After searching the internet for a couple of hours, this forum seemed the most promising place to start. I've read in a few threads that the Yobo FC-16 Go can be modified to use PAL output by soldering some jumpers, adding a CIC chip, and a capacitor.

Can someone explain this process in detail? I have a degree in engineering and I'm handy with a soldering iron, but step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

In return, I could test all the games in my collection, and help compile a list of compatible PAL games.

Cheers everyone! :)

LogicalUnit

Re: PAL-compatible portable SNES clone

Post by LogicalUnit » Fri May 11, 2012 7:53 am

I've done some more research, and there are currently 3 portable SNES clones on the market:

Yobo FC-16 Go
Retro Duo Portable
Supaboy

All of these seem to be NTSC format. According to other posts on this forum, the FC 16 Go can be modded to use PAL, but this results in a black and white video output. This is because the screen doesn't support the 50Hz PAL signal.

Elsewhere, I have found that the Retro Duo (non-portable) can be modded with a 50Hz/60Hz switch. PAL games can be played on an NTSC screen by booting the system with the switch set to PAL, and then flipping to NTSC mode.

Here's my crazy thought:

Can we mod any of the above consoles with a PAL/NTSC switch, so that PAL games pass the region check at boot, and then switch the output a 60Hz signal?

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun May 13, 2012 8:48 pm

I have an F16 Go, which I have modified to have a PAL/NTSC switch, you can get color on PAL by turning it on with the switch turned to PAL, then after it's on switching it to NTSC, it works exactly like your bold text

the only games that dont work are SA-1 games (like Super Mario RPG and Kirby Superstar) but you can get around this by modifying the individual cartrages: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/mariorpg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can have my FC twin if you want $35

LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit » Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 am

Diminuendo, thanks for your post! Can you please provide instructions for your mod? :)

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri May 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm busy at the moment, when I have time I'll find you a picture of the board and draw up a diagram

LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit » Thu May 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Argh!! I just successfully soldered on an NTSC/PAL switch, but then snapped it off, taking the pads with it!! Should I try again? Does anybody want to buy my spare parts?

LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:15 am

Okay, I can CONFIRM that this hack works. I was able to play Secret of Evermore (PAL) in colour on my Yobo FC 16 Go today. However, I broke the damn switch. Again. So there you go: a PAL-compatible portable SNES clone. :)