N64 Power supply problem

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

ryan123
N64 Power supply problem

Post by ryan123 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:57 am

For the past 4-5 days, I have been having some trouble with my N64 power supply, and before you ask: Yes I did check the troubleshooting thread.

My actual problem with my PAL AND NTSC N64 is that whenever I switch on the plug and turn on the power, the red light turns on for a split second and then goes off again. I am 100% sure it is no issue with the jumper/expansion pak or controller, or any other accessories.

I replaced the power cord of my power supply with another one, and surprisingly it worked - only for about 2-3 days though. Then I ran into the same problem.

I've tried to get rid of any possible humidity in the power supply, cleaned it, verified the outlet works fine so I'm clueless as to what the problem is. Getting a new N64 isn't an option, they don't sell them here anymore and I don't want to get one off eBay or whatever. Any ideas as to what I could do?

I have a PlayStation power supply and I heard there was a way to make use of that as an N64 power supply? Is it reliable and worth the risk? If not, then please tell me what I could do.

ryan123

Re: N64 Power supply problem

Post by ryan123 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:54 am

Well after several attempts I managed to get the red light to turn on. However, after about 30 seconds, it turned off again.