Partway through my portable but have some questions

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Kickbut101
360 GamerTag:Kickbut101
Partway through my portable but have some questions

Post by Kickbut101 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:03 am

Okay to start off I have gotten about halfway through my p64 (hopefully) but I would like some things cleared up that I really haven't been able to find answers to on google or here so here it goes
-How do I attach the two parts of a case together if I end up making a custom one in a vacuum former?
-Whether or not I need to have a fan in my case I don't plan on it being extremely crowded in there so if I have decent heat sinks I should be okay right?
-How do I keep the buttons securely against the inside top half of my case?
and
-How to secure the different boards and screens inside the case, just so that they don't touch or rub against one another?

If this is just a stupid thread with easy answers I'll just delete it but otherwise any help would make this a whole lot easier :D
Thanks for looking!!

MarioOwnsAll

Re: Partway through my portable but have some questions

Post by MarioOwnsAll » Wed May 11, 2011 2:28 pm

1. Some people use screw shafts (it's just a pole with a screw in the end) and they just secure it inside the case and use the screw to hold it together or you could use little plastic tabs along the edge of the case with screws to hold it in place (the first method is a little more reliable but takes up more space).

2. A fan isn't something that you need but it's always nice to have, if you have replaced the heat sinks with copper ones and have good ventilation on the case then I would say you don't need one.

3. There are 2 ways to mount the controls for you portable, you can cut you the button holes from the controller you are using and cement them into the case using bondo and then use the screw shafts that came with the button holes to hold the buttons securely in place or you could get a bunch of momentary contact buttons from radioshack and just drill hole in the case and drop them in and use the bolt to secure them from the back and then you just solder the two leads to ground and to what ever button you want on the controller board.

4. If you are using a psone screen, the case comes with screw shafts to mount it securely in place, the n64 mobo has mounting holes on the sides which you could just fashion some pegs to hold that in place and the controller board weighs barely anything so you could just use some electrical tape to hold it to the case.

Hope that helps :D

MarioOwnsAll

Kickbut101
360 GamerTag:Kickbut101

Re: Partway through my portable but have some questions

Post by Kickbut101 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Thank you!!
I ended up not using the fan I put in. I am using a tupperware container for a case so I just use the bottom lid to close it up, and as for securing stuff inside, I just hot glued the screen in place and everything else is kinda just squished inside and the friction keeps it in place, theres pieces of paper in between each board too. oh and the controller, I hacked and chopped up the controller I had and cut holes in the case and then used plastic epoxy clay-like stuff to secure it in place.

haha it looks super ugly, but it wasn't made to look perfect, it was made so I could get the hang of portable builds, my next one will be for looks