Nintoaster 64 Help

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

FreakSheet
Steam ID:FreakSheet
Nintoaster 64 Help

Post by FreakSheet » Fri May 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Greetings, inspired by Vomitsaw's Nintoaster video I have embarked on a similar endeavour, The Nintoaster 64. (I will assume you understand which poor system I am destroying by the title.) However, I have run into a slight... complication.

The power supply, while looking for a suitable area to attach an LED array, got... shorted :facepalm: . Saddened, but not discouraged, I drew up plans for a circuit to replace it, but something about it just does not seem right. According to the diagram on the power supply, it has 2 lines with 3.3V, and 2.7A, and another with 12V and 0.8A. This means I need to draw from an AC adapter 12V, and 6.3A. This seems... insane, to say the least. Does this seem correct? Could such a small system require so much amperage?

This also presents another issue, as the switch on the mother board is... complex. Complex as in, 8 pins connect it and the motherboard. Hell. My question is, if i put a switch higher up on the circuit (as in, right after the AC adapter), and made it so the motherboard switch was always on, would it work the same? Or is there something special about that switch that makes it not kill the motherboard?

Any advice you can share is greatly appreciated, and if you want to check my circuit diagram, just ask and I'll post it right away.