How to charge a battery?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

ihakr
How to charge a battery?

Post by ihakr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:17 pm

I have noticed that everyone uses rechargeable batteries for their pN64's. I got a battery from an old portable DVD player. I have built the step down regulator and I have gotten my N64 to run on the battery! Now I just need to know how to charge the battery. There is some kind of circuit board on the battery. I am not sure if this is the "smart charging" circuit or just a regulator to keep the power output constant. I want to know where I can wire in the jack for the charger. (or do I have to order a new one? (or get a completely new battery))

Thanks for the help!

P.S. You'll see my progress work log when I have enough progress to post it. (And I'm still thinking of a name for it)
Attachments
Optimized-IMG_20110219_194844.jpg
Picture of the battery board
Optimized-IMG_20110219_194844.jpg (50.73KiB)Viewed 5231 times
Last edited by ihakr on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Hot to charge a battery?

Post by hailrazer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Usually the charger connects to the same point as the load. So the same points on the board that the N64 is hooked up to.

"Usually" :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:31 pm

hailrazer wrote:Usually the charger connects to the same point as the load. So the same points on the board that the N64 is hooked up to.

So if that is how it "usually" works, how will I know when the battery is charged? I just did a continuity test on the multimeter, the DC in on the dvd player did not go to any of the pins for the battery connector. Is this a sign that the charging circuit lies within the portable DVD player and not on the circuit board?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm

ihakr wrote:
hailrazer wrote:Usually the charger connects to the same point as the load. So the same points on the board that the N64 is hooked up to.

So if that is how it "usually" works, how will I know when the battery is charged? I just did a continuity test on the multimeter, the DC in on the dvd player did not go to any of the pins for the battery connector. Is this a sign that the charging circuit lies within the portable DVD player and not on the circuit board?
Well there might be a circuit in the dvd player that allows for playing and charging at the same time. So the dc input goes to it, and that decides whether it powers the system or powers the system and charges the battery.

Does the circuit board attached to the battery have lights on it ?
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:43 pm

hailrazer wrote: Does the circuit board attached to the battery have lights on it ?
No it doesn't; the LEDs are on the DVD Player PCB. Would I be better off buying a different battery?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:46 pm

ihakr wrote:
hailrazer wrote: Does the circuit board attached to the battery have lights on it ?
No it doesn't; the LEDs are on the DVD Player PCB. Would I be better off buying a different battery?
You can or you can buy a smart charger and pcb for that battery.

http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor74vli ... limit.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... isted.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Portable Systems:

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 pm

hailrazer wrote:
You can or you can buy a smart charger and pcb for that battery.

http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor74vli ... limit.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... isted.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okay I might do that. If I used that PCB, would I disconnect the current one from the current battery?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm

ihakr wrote: Okay I might do that. If I used that PCB, would I disconnect the current one from the current battery?
Yes sir :)
My Portable Systems:

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 pm

hailrazer wrote: Yes sir :)