N64/Gamecube Hybrid?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Muniosi
N64/Gamecube Hybrid?

Post by Muniosi » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Hey all,
I have recently been thinking about making an N64/Gamecube hybrid. I wanted to have a 3-way switch such that when it was in the middle, both systems would be turned off. When you slide it to one side, the Gamecube turns on. Slide it the other way and the N64 turns on. How would I go about doing this? I also wanted to know if I could use a Gamecube controller to control both systems. If this was possible, could I use the power switch to switch between using the controller as a GC controller and an N64 controller?

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll probably not use the GC controller for both consoles. I know, I'm indecisive. :oops:

EDIT2: Made some progress. I haven't actually taken anything apart yet, but I figured out how to plug both systems into one outlet. I have a cable that has two female power outlets and one male. If I plug this into another cable that has one female power outlet and one male computer cable outlet (like this one), I can put the male computer cable port on the outside of the system and use a regular computer cable to power the system.
Last edited by Muniosi on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Re: N64/Gamecube Hybrid?

Post by evilteddy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:36 pm

You could use this for the controller. Do you want to make a portable or just a combined home system?

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:57 pm

I was going to make it portable, but it would probably be easier to make it a home system, wouldn't it? For now, though, I think I will make it portable.

EDIT: Never mind, I'll probably make it a home console because of my non-existent modding skillz. :lol:

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:01 am

Muniosi wrote:I was going to make it portable, but it would probably be easier to make it a home system, wouldn't it? For now, though, I think I will make it portable.

EDIT: Never mind, I'll probably make it a home console because of my non-existent modding skillz. :lol:
If you trim an N64 mobo down and fit it INSIDE a GC case with the GC still in it, you are god.

(Its IS doable, just requires a lot of trimming, rewiring, and casework.)
Cheers,
Basement_Modder