making my own Power Base Converter

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63
making my own Power Base Converter

Post by com64 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi there!

I'm planning on making my own Power Base converter, but I don't have all of the parts just yet.

I need to find a 50 pin IDC edge connector. Does anyone know where to find one of these? I live in North Vancouver, Canada... I'd prefer to buy one from either a retailer in Canada, or a retailer that ships to Canada without a hefty shipping fee.

I also need a Genesis game that I will not miss at all. Have any suggestions?
Finally: the surface!

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: making my own Power Base Converter

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Typically, sports games are very easy to find and are inexpensive. I'd recommend one of those.

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:07 pm

eagle5953 wrote:Typically, sports games are very easy to find and are inexpensive. I'd recommend one of those.
yeah, i was thinking about something like RBI Baseball.
Finally: the surface!

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:36 pm

I've managed to build a Power Base Converter and can tell you it's a MAJOR pain in the ***, especially with all the wires. It's a f-ing mess. But once it works, it works very well.

Like Eagle5953 said, just get a Sports game or any other game you don't care about. Be sure it has all the pins on the card-edge, as some cartridges are missing pins.

Good luck on your little project. Tell us how your homemade Power Base Converter turns out.

jpx72

Post by jpx72 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:28 am

Good luck, I've made mine long ago pic1pic2 but I have to open the SMS cartridge and stick only the PCB inside because the connector is too long on one side... :wtf:

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 pm

This actually intriguing. I had a few things fall off my storage wall and I was hit with an empty 32x case and it gave me an idea. Much like Newton stumbling upon the law of gravity, I came up with an idea to do this. The bottom "cartridge" part of the 32x looks like it would be adequate for this project. It's a hollow cart shape with a flat top: perfect. If you add in the cart pcb and an edge reader, you'd be set. The only issue is those card games....
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs