RGB mod any N64 console ..maybe?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lucidPerspective
RGB mod any N64 console ..maybe?

Post by lucidPerspective » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 am

So, I had an idea. :D

You can RGB mod early NTSC consoles, but not Pal ones. The big question that came into my head was "WHY?"

The main processor (MIPS R4300i 64-bit RISC CPU) and the graphics processor (Reality CoProcessor) in the console haven't changed throughout it's life (as far as I am aware). so what happened? I intend to find out.

I plan to design a solution (hopefully) that grabs the video output straight off of the RCP chip. I assume it won't be coming out as RGB so I'll program an IC to take whatever the RCP is outputting and convert it or break the data up into RGB.

I hope it all works out, but I'm diving into unknown territory (I think) so we shall see.

If anyone has any information that might help please post it in this thread :)

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: RGB mod any N64 console ..maybe?

Post by blaze3927 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:52 am

Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:10 am

Yep, already been done. In fact, I'm in the progress of working on an alternate RGB DAC myself, though my circuit won't use a PLC, for those who lack a PLC writer. I've already ordered parts and they're on their way.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:19 am

Haha, thanks for the link blaze :mrgreen: guess, this'll be easier than I thought. like no working out of anything 8) ..takes away all the fun, maybe I should just pretend I didn't see that and re-invent the wheel :P

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:54 pm

It can be done with some French 64s. Also apparently you can transfer some components from a PAL board to a NTSC RGB compatible board to get it working

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:44 pm

It has nothing to do with the RCP.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:It has nothing to do with the RCP.
and "it" would be ...?

I think this whole thread has everything to do with the RCP. data comes out of it and into the DAC.

So you either have to replace the DAC with your own one (or run it in parallel out of the RCP) that takes the info from the RCP and outputs RGB, or you take the video signals from the DAC and run them through your own chip to break it into RGB.

Either way it has everything to do with the RCP :roll:

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Weather you can RGB mod it or not has nothing to do with the RCP. It has to do with what revision of U4 you have, and if you have the wrong one, you can swap it with a hackable one, but that still has nothing to do with the RCP.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:17 pm

All the video data originates from the RCP. The DAC turns it into what the console outputs (composite and/or s-video and/or rgb) ..therefore understanding how the RCP puts out that information and programming your own DAC to use that information to output rgb is possible.

I'd recommend looking at the link blaze posted before posting further. What I suggested doing in my original post has already been done, and proven possible.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:34 pm

True, but if just anybody could program a DAC, we'd be out of business. :P
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:50 pm

You still didn't look at that link did you lol.. He provides the programming code, and installation instructions. You can get 2 of the chips he uses (you only need one) for $9.99GBP (Great Britain Pounds) with free worldwide shipping HERE

tsukasa

Post by tsukasa » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:37 pm

There are 3 channel dacs out there that have built in latches. I'm basing my design off this one.
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 1944581_-1

My only fear is that the RCP won't be able to drive the inputs, in that case i'll need some buffers.

Just tie all the data inputs together, tie the latch clocks to either a shift register as tim did, (or a decimal counter).
Does away with the PLC and the enormous R2R ladder. Probably need an opamp or something to set the range of the signal just right. I think my order got delayed, since I also ordered a different dac that has a common data bus, and thus a smaller footprint, but it was backordered.

I'll probably throw together a replacement audio dac as well, in an attempt to revive the board I fried while working on the portable.

Also,
True, but if just anybody could program a DAC, we'd be out of business. :P
You don't program DACs, the dac is that pile of resistors. You program the plc. And actually, plcs are quite easy to program, just build the cable and hook it up to your parallel port (if you still have one >.>)
You don't even need the plc to do that, just use discrete logic, like this guy.
http://eatenbyagrue.org/new_year%27s_hi ... ution.html

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 pm

tsukasa wrote:You don't program DACs, the dac is that pile of resistors]
Well I learnt something today :D I thought the same thing..

making a way to avoid having that huge resistor ladder would be great, I was considering just using that other guys method, creating a pcb for it, and using surface mount resistors. not the best solution, yours will be if you can pull it off, but it would make the whole thing quite small

spinout
Portablizer

Post by spinout » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Tim (the owner of that site) ships pre-programmed CPLDs to anywhere in the world for $15 AUD.

lucidPerspective

Post by lucidPerspective » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:04 pm

well now.. THAT's affordable! might have to get me one of them