Hailrazer's 2nd N64 - The Kamikaze64

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

neverused
Re: Hailrazer's 2nd N64 - The Kamikaze64

Post by neverused » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:40 am

One thing to note about ABS cement is the fact that there are usually bubbles inside of it, so when you sand it, it will reveal holes underneath.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:13 pm

neverused wrote:One thing to note about ABS cement is the fact that there are usually bubbles inside of it, so when you sand it, it will reveal holes underneath.
Yes that is why I use it to bond and fuse, then bumper filler to finish. 8)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:00 pm

The "rough" fill in coat of HardSet Filler is done :

Time to fill in the speaker holes, button holes, and do the second coat of Flex Filler.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Second coat of flex filler done. One more small coat over the button holes and I'm ready to put in some buttons and thumbsticks :)

My Portable Systems:

Designer noob

Post by Designer noob » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:19 pm

what is it your using to fill in the holes? flexfiller?
The N64/GBA Remix
Image ............................................................................................................................................. Xbox360 WVI

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:32 pm

Designer noob wrote:what is it your using to fill in the holes? flexfiller?
This for the big gaps :
http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merch ... ode=2020-T

And this for the small holes, pinholes, low spots :
http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/merch ... ode=2000-T
My Portable Systems:

Designer noob

Post by Designer noob » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:35 pm

so, this just pretty much just let epoxy, bondo, or ABS cement right? If not whats the difference.
The N64/GBA Remix
Image ............................................................................................................................................. Xbox360 WVI

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 pm

Designer noob wrote:so, this just pretty much just let epoxy, bondo, or ABS cement right? If not whats the difference.
No there is a huge difference between all three.

There is no such thing as just "epoxy". Epoxy has a resin and a hardener. The resin is different depending on what the manufacturer decides he wants to bond. So you have epoxy made for wood, made for metal, made for plastic, etc.

The epoxy I use is specifically designed to bond to plastic, flex easily without cracking , and withstand pretty high temps.

JBWeld on the other hand is designed to bond to metal.

Now Abs cement is used to "melt" or "fuse" together abs plastics. It actually does melt to the plastic and thus fuses it together permanently. The problem with it is that when it dries, the acetone in it dries out leaving airholes. Thus it can be used to melt the plastic together but it shouldn't be used to fill large gaps and it's not meant to be sanded and painted.

Bondo is sort of like epoxy but it is more of a two part putty. It is used mainly to adhere to metal, but it will adhere to plastic. Bondo's problem is that it doesn't have a flex agent in it so it will crack when flexed or stressed.
My Portable Systems:

Designer noob

Post by Designer noob » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:59 am

Is your material easy to sand? I will put some epoxy down and when it drys it is very hard to sand. Also, when you sand it it comes out in junks not tiny tiny layers. So, its almost impossible to sand. Its almost like its not binding to the plastic.

I am going back to lowes tomorrow to get some new bonding agent. I am wondering is your stuff sold there and if not whats the next best thing from http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Quessing, I should probably get more expensive stuff. Only 7 bucks.
The N64/GBA Remix

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:51 pm

I have used lot's of different epoxies and they all did what you are describing. That's why I went with a more expensive one that is actually made to bond to plastic. It sands super smooth and feathers out perfectly.

Now for an update. I decided to do the expansion pack relocation. It was a big fat pain in the butt. 36 tiny wires. Each one had to be stripped on both ends while being held with tweezers. Then I had to solder them using tweezers and a lighted magnifying glass.

Got the whole thing done, triple checked everything, turned it on, .......... and NOTHING.... :evil:

Checked for shorts and found none. Was about to give up and I found it, one tiny loose wire. :oops:
Soldered it back on and perfection. :lol:

Now if anybody says anything except words of awe and praise for my work, I will hunt them down and beat them with a dead cold blooded penguin.

Stayed tuned for more.................When I can actually see again. :D
My Portable Systems:

neverused

Post by neverused » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:04 pm

hailrazer wrote:Now if anybody says anything except words of awe and praise for my work, I will hunt them down and beat them with a dead cold blooded penguin.
I personally think it looks like some pretty shoddy work... (Sorry Snowpenguine, you're the only penguine I know of on this site, so you're going to be the first to go after my comment) :lol:

No, in all honesty that has to be one of the cleanest relocations I have seen on this site. Beautiful work.

BENFTW

Post by BENFTW » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:41 pm

That's amazing! Great work! I wanted to relocate the cart slot on my portable, but... I'm not as awesome as you hailraizer! :mrgreen:
Last edited by BENFTW on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:59 pm

hailrazer wrote:Now if anybody says anything except words of awe and praise for my work, I will hunt them down and beat them with a dead cold blooded penguin.
So, if anyone says anything mean, you'll kill ME?

:cry:
neverused wrote:I personally think it looks like some pretty shoddy work... (Sorry Snowpenguin, you're the only penguine I know of on this site, so you're going to be the first to go after my comment) :lol:
Don't forget stuntpenguin007 8)

Designer noob

Post by Designer noob » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Last couple fo questions,

How long does it last? Do, you have to buy a new flex filler every portable (if its a frakencase).

Also, do you have to mix yours? I see that each box comes with a black cap and white cap.
The N64/GBA Remix

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Designer noob wrote:Last couple fo questions,

How long does it last? Do, you have to buy a new flex filler every portable (if its a frakencase).

Also, do you have to mix yours? I see that each box comes with a black cap and white cap.
I bought one box of each and I have built 4 portables so far and I still have about half of each left.

Yes you mix it, it's an epoxy, thats how they work :)
snowpenguin wrote: So, if anyone says anything mean, you'll kill ME?
:cry:
Of course not, I have plenty of penguins at my disposal. LOL
My Portable Systems: