No composite video from N64 :( [But now there is :D]

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

limpport
No composite video from N64 :( [But now there is :D]

Post by limpport » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:35 am

Hey all,
I've been working on reducing the size of the N64 mobo, and I think I did something dumb. I wanted to remove the part that had the video/audio plug, so I followed them back to the 2 resistors/resistor and capacitor in series, and soldered directly to the end of them. I can no longer get video, and I can't hear any audio. I tried to be quick and let them cool off after every touch of the iron, but I'm pretty sure I killed them. I know the board isn't dead, because the power light still comes on.

Does anyone know the resistor/capacitor values for the two components in series? I tried to look for an N64 data sheet without success. Would it be easier to replace the resistor/capacitor, or should I just hook it up to the PSone screen with RGB?
Last edited by limpport on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XCVG

Re: No composite video from N64 :(

Post by XCVG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:24 am

You probably knocked one loose, not killed one. I don't think they're that delicate.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:56 am

You can't kill passives (easily). Make sure you didn't rip off any traces.

Also, the LED turning on only means that it's getting 3.3v, it has no effect on whether the board is fried or not.

limpport

Post by limpport » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:04 pm

I've gotten the board to give me audio, but still no video. Does the 12v line support the video?

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:17 pm

Without any 12V there will be no video. It was mentioned by someone as a possible method of suspending a N64. Removing the power on the 12V line stopped the video. I never tried it out myself because the power draw would have only been slightly reduced anyway but I do remember that it is necessary to have the 12V line working to get the video working.

Of course this is all memory so I might be completely wrong.

limpport

Post by limpport » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:56 pm

HA HA HA!!!

After triple checking my connections and resoldering the cartridge slot, I get picture and stereo sound! Thanks for the advice guys. I also have the video and audio wires soldered directly to the capacitors. Once I trace the S Video Y back into the board (in case I want RGB), I can cut off the annoying little corner that caused this whole mess!