Nintendo 64 Motherboard Revisions/Serials Info Request

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361
Re: Nintendo 64 Motherboard Revisions Help/Info Request

Post by Tibia » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:38 pm

You're right, I have them backwards. Sorry. The sheet I wrote everything on is rather difficult to read. I'll edit my earlier post. Thanks for pointing that out!
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Well I got that N64 from a friend who used to live in france, but it is definitely a US version N64. It's labeled NUS and plays US games.

Link83

Post by Link83 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Tibia wrote:You're right, I have them backwards. Sorry. The sheet I wrote everything on is rather difficult to read. I'll edit my earlier post. Thanks for pointing that out!
Hi Tibia,
Thanks for checking, although I must admit im now totally confused! :? Heres what im guessing they should be?:-
NS116506106
NUS-CPU-04 (or -03? Unless the serial is wrong?)

NS168671586
NUS-CPU-05 (or -04?)

NS218256534
NUS-CPU-05

NS25348730 (Missing one digit?)
NUS-CPU-08

NS263307960
NUS-CPU-08

NS263689028
NUS-CPU-08

Perhaps if its not too much trouble could you possibly double check the serial numbers/revisions again sometime? I personally find it easiest to do them one at a time and type them in on a notepad document. I'd just like to be sure they are right before I try and add them to the list :D May I also ask if they are all definitely in their original cases aswell? - Sorry if I seem ungrateful, its isnt my intention :oops:
XCVG wrote:Well I got that N64 from a friend who used to live in france, but it is definitely a US version N64. It's labeled NUS and plays US games.
I totally believe you - I just would like to know where these 'NS6' serial consoles are originally from! Does yours happen to mention Canada on the label or 'CAN'?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At some point im also hoping to try and work out which revisions have which CPU revisions aswell, such as 'CPU-NUS A' or 'CPU-NUS B' - as im sure this would help us work out which consoles would be best for overclocking :)

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:01 pm

It's labeled NUS-001, with NUS-USA/CAN-1 in small letters beside it.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:03 am

The revision 5 board really did have a lower serial number. When I opened it up, it looked like I might have been the first person to do it, as the screws were in pristine shape. I can't verify it though, because I did buy the console used. I'm all for accuracy, so I'd suggest leaving either that one, or both my four and five off your list, since I honestly can't verify their history.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Link83

Post by Link83 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 am

I am sure there probably will be some degree of 'crossover' between the motherboard revisions and serials - after all Nintendo had to switch production at some point, and at that time im sure there would be some slightly later consoles with earlier serials, and slightly earlier consoles with later serials, if you see what I mean!
Its just that the NS116506106/NUS-CPU-05 you have is smack bang in the middle of the NUS-CPU-03 lot - its just seems abit too far out, so I think I will leave that one off the 'proper' list for now, although I will keep it in mind as a possibilty in case a similar such revision/serial pops up in the future.

I'm curious about these two though, should they be switched?:-
NS218256534
NUS-CPU-08

NS263307960
NUS-CPU-05

I would also love to confirm for sure what the NS168671586 console was though, as that is right in the middle of a rather large gap in my serial list - depending on if it is revision 04 or 05 could really make a difference for people wanting to RGB mod their N64 (Or if you have time a quick re-check of them all would be fantastic just to be sure :D also be good to add the missing number off one of the serials)

If im asking too much just let me know and id totally understand. I dont want to seem like a mithering pain, I would just really like to add as many N64 serials as possible to the list whilst keeping it as accurate as I can :)

Anybody have anymore serials/revisions they care to add :?:

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:22 am

I have another N64 but I don't want to open it. It's my 'main' N64.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:12 pm

THREAD NECROMANCY AND DOUBLE POST!

I've opened up my "odd" N64 completely (removed shielding) and it has an AVDC-NUS chip.

scikoolaid

Post by scikoolaid » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Wow, great find for me. I love N64 I've forwhile been looking for mod websites and there just isnt much people have done with it... :( does anyone know where people may sell a n64 shell replacement? custom casing etc..

anyway I actually just opened 2 n64's i got cheap to clean em up. I am highly convinced they havn't been open before because they had some minor damage inside the AC adapter's housing (you know chipped plastic etc) and both had a broken screw receiver when I tried opening them. So it was a fun task to line up the broken plastic and tighten them in place to close them up again.

Enough rabbling. I opened a
NUS-CPU-08
Serial: NS270238981

NUS-CPU-05
Serial: NS245536326

and
NUS-CPU-04 (the 04 is my baby I've always had)
Serial: NS167167462
Don't bother taking my serial its already registered with my nintendo club account :P hah You could take the other 2 tho..

It would seem you only need to see a 08's chipset right? Let me know I'll open it up again and check it out.

Btw Link83, I love your work... keep it up <3

Link83

Post by Link83 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:26 am

scikoolaid wrote: Enough rabbling. I opened a
NUS-CPU-08
Serial: NS270238981

NUS-CPU-05
Serial: NS245536326

and
NUS-CPU-04 (the 04 is my baby I've always had)
Serial: NS167167462
Don't bother taking my serial its already registered with my nintendo club account :P hah You could take the other 2 tho..

It would seem you only need to see a 08's chipset right? Let me know I'll open it up again and check it out.

Btw Link83, I love your work... keep it up <3
Wow thanks very much for the info and your kind words :D I have added all your serials to the list on the second page. Also noticed its your 1st post aswell, so welcome :)

Thanks to your serials we now have an almost clear cut off between the 05 and 06 revisions!:-
NS245536326 No, has 'AVDC-NUS' chip - NUS-CPU-05
NS248893488 No, has 'MAV-NUS' chip - NUS-CPU-06

Also, your NS167167462 serials shows that the NUS-CPU-04 revision continued for quite some time and so gives us a lot of extra serials for people who may want to RGB mod their N64 :)

I would also love some pics of your NUS-CPU-08, but only if its not too much trouble :wink:

btw, scikoolaid if you dont mind me asking does your 'NUS-CPU-05' revision definitely not have a '-1' at the end after the 05? I only ask as in the last few days I have come across something a little interesting!...

I was reading through some old sale threads on assemblergames and came across a thread selling a 'Partner N' N64 Development console - basically these were slightly modified retail N64 systems used in N64 development. Anyway this particular one was a Japanese model which had an NUS-CPU-05-1 revision! Heres a pic:-

It appears that this was a very minor revision and the main change is that they swapped the AVDC-NUS video chip for the MAV-NUS. Now I cant be certain if the revision was definitely released at retail or not, but all other Partner N N64's have always been modified retail systems, so I think its likely this was too. So if your US N64 is defintely just '05' I think we can safely say this revision was exclusive to the Japanese market!

Also, XCVG and anybody else who may be interested, heres a pic of my 'NS6' serial:-

I have checked the other 'black label' with another US N64 I have, and they are exactly the same - no difference at all, so there is no clue where its originally from. For the moment I have added these two 'oddities' to the serial list like this:-

Oddities (Canadian?):-
NS601623141 - NUS-CPU-04 Yes, has 'VDC-NUS' chip - NUS-CPU-04
NS605180732 - NUS-CPU-05 No, has 'AVDC-NUS' chip - NUS-CPU-05

Would be nice to know where they come from though!

I think thats all for now, but if anybody else has more serials to add they are always very much appreciated :) Oh, and I wasnt aware that you could now register N64 serials on your Club Nintendo account, is this a recent thing? You certainly cant do this in Europe. Anyway, I would totally understand if anyone wanted to give their N64 serial, but leave off the last 2 numbers if they are concerned...
Last edited by Link83 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scikoolaid

Post by scikoolaid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:37 pm

Alright, great to hear from you so quickly! :D When I get back from work tonight I'll re-open and remove the heatsinks this time around and also take photos.

On that note, did you ever happen to know about any merchants around the web that made and/or sold n64 case shells or rather, replacement housings? I think eventually I'll probably just get the correct paint (its bookmarked somewhere) and give one of mine a paint job :P

In regards to the club nintendo account, well I already had all my systems' serials submitted with my original Nsider account before they all turned into club nintendo. But I would assume you would be able to, its either the 4 set pin for a game or you put a serial from a system. When I got a gba micro last year it was still open to add to my Nsider account so.. hey, you never know lol

Anyways, more to talk about later.

edit: just remember one thing about the club nintendo thing, registering any system other than the wii (for its warranty extension) doesn't merit you anything, not coins or anything. At least in the USA... You reside in europe?
Last edited by scikoolaid on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

scikoolaid

Post by scikoolaid » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:29 am

alright, I went ahead and opened up the NUS-CPU-08....
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/ ... ln6408.jpg
Serial pic.
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/ ... yn6408.jpg
my god... I needed a picture after all those heatsink screws!! some are very stubborn! have to use a special technique :P
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/ ... 8BOARD.jpg
board pic... I'm not sure if I understood your earlier post. Is the MAV-NUS chip only so far known to be in that 05-1 revision?
Because there it is, in my NUS-CPU-08's board. the whole chips print:
MAV - NUS
BU9906FS
933 198

I saw that other chip called PIF-NUS, could you briefly tell me what that one is?

I checked my NUS-CPU-05
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/ ... N64_05.jpg
yeah I suck at taking pictures... I helped make it more clear.
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/ ... N64_05.jpg

The 08 board was printed in 1999.. crazy huh... this n64 was the dirtiest I've ever seen for its age, at least its not horribly beat up though...(there was a little piece of a wood splinter and little plastic rolled up in the area UNDER the system's connectors -where the cart connects... yeah below that tight rowing of pins) just overall nasty. The 05 is almost like new, it even had never gotten an expansion pak put in, the 'DO NOT REMOVE' sticker was still UNTOUCHED when I got it less than a week ago.

Cool stuff.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:51 pm

Hmmm, there's several oddities. The pawn shop has three N64s. All have 6XXXXXXXXXX (not exact amount of X's) numbers. Perhaps Canada got different numbered N64s?

These N64s throw the whole thing through a loop! We need a new "6X" catagory in the chart!

Link83

Post by Link83 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:43 pm

scikoolaid wrote:On that note, did you ever happen to know about any merchants around the web that made and/or sold n64 case shells or rather, replacement housings? I think eventually I'll probably just get the correct paint (its bookmarked somewhere) and give one of mine a paint job :P
Im afraid I havent seen anything like that :( There are some people round here who make/sell replacement cases for N64 portables, but none that I have seen for the original system, your best bet is just to paint it. There are also some very good plastic dyes available often called 'vinyl dye' that are supposed to be pretty good for getting a nice even finish on plastics, although I havent tried them myself.
scikoolaid wrote:edit: just remember one thing about the club nintendo thing, registering any system other than the wii (for its warranty extension) doesn't merit you anything, not coins or anything. At least in the USA... You reside in europe?
Ah, so theres no benefit for doing it? Just nice to 'add it to your collection list' I suppose! In Europe you can only register games/consoles using a code from a special leaflet that comes inisde box/cases. You enter the code to earn 'stars' on your Club Nintendo account - they have been doing it since the GameCube days, but only recently has anything decent been added to the 'Stars Catalogue' that you 'buy' stuff from.

Thanks very much for all the pictures, they are very much appreciated :)
scikoolaid wrote: I'm not sure if I understood your earlier post. Is the MAV-NUS chip only so far known to be in that 05-1 revision?
Because there it is, in my NUS-CPU-08's board. the whole chips print:
MAV - NUS
BU9906FS
933 198
No sorry I guess I wasnt very clear, the MAV-NUS video chip was thought to have only appeared in N64 consoles with NUS-CPU-06 onwards, right until the very end of production (NUS-CPU-09?) but this Japan only revision shows that it appeared slightly earlier over there on an 'NUS-CPU-05-1' revision, which appears not to have been released in the US as your 05 revision is right before they switched to the 06 revision, so if an 05-1 revision had been released in the US then yours would have been one, if that makes sense!
scikoolaid wrote: I saw that other chip called PIF-NUS, could you briefly tell me what that one is?
Yep, PIF-NUS actually stands for "Peripheral InterFace - Nintendo Ultra Sixtyfour" and it actually controls access/data to all the peripherals the N64 uses, such as controllers, memory cards, rumble paks etc. It also has a security lockout chip inside it so thats why you cant play PAL games on an NTSC console and visa-versa (NTSC consoles from US or Japan are exactly the same and the only reason you cant play Japanese games on a US N64 is because of some plastic tabs in the cartridge slot, which you can easily remove)
scikoolaid wrote: The 08 board was printed in 1999.. crazy huh... this n64 was the dirtiest I've ever seen for its age, at least its not horribly beat up though...(there was a little piece of a wood splinter and little plastic rolled up in the area UNDER the system's connectors -where the cart connects... yeah below that tight rowing of pins) just overall nasty. The 05 is almost like new, it even had never gotten an expansion pak put in, the 'DO NOT REMOVE' sticker was still UNTOUCHED when I got it less than a week ago.
Yeah, I had a late model N64 that had Coke spilt all over it which had gone inside the casing :( Luckily the motherboard wasnt too badly affected apart from a few rust marks here and there. I also got a launch console that was in perfect condition, I guess age has nothing to do with condition, and its just down to how much people care for there consoles...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XCVG wrote:Hmmm, there's several oddities. The pawn shop has three N64s. All have 6XXXXXXXXXX (not exact amount of X's) numbers. Perhaps Canada got different numbered N64s?

These N64s throw the whole thing through a loop! We need a new "6X" catagory in the chart!
Yeah I really think they are likely from Canada - it seems to make the most sense. I guess you would be the person most likely to know/confirm, what with you living there and all :wink:

I have added an extra section to the list, although I only have the two serials so far (Yours and mine)

btw, do you know if the N64 was released in Canada later than the US?

scikoolaid

Post by scikoolaid » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:57 pm

Ah, thanks for the info.

Lol, I just bought another n64 cheap.. it supposedly works only "sometimes" when a game is put in it.. haha just sounds like the person's games are dirty. Its that or the connector needs a little cleaning as well. So that should be another interesting system probably not opened ever too. Another for the list I'm sure :)

Until it arrivals.. lata