Nintendo 64 Motherboard Revisions/Serials Info Request

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

kibble
Re: Nintendo 64 Motherboard Revisions/Serials Info Request

Post by kibble » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:21 am

Finally got around to taking pics of my boards: Here they are in order from earliest to most recent:

Only the last 7 numbers of the serial are legible as the rest of the sticker is partially torn on the first one:

Model #: NUS-001(USA)
Serial #: XXXX3142687
Rev. : NUS-CPU-03 1996
Contains VDC-NUS BU9801F and ENC-NUS

Serial #: NS208495233
Rev. : NUS-CPU-05 1997
Contains AVDC-NUS BU9805FS

Serial #: NS292228809
Rev. : NUS-CPU-08-01 1999
Contains MAV-NUS MN70016N3E3

Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Link83

Post by Link83 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks very much kibble, really great pictures and very nice to see the motherboard progression of the N64. Its very much appreciated and I have added them to my small but growing N64 photo collection :D

I'm also working on a list of the main chips for each N64 revision, so everyone please feel free to post any info you may have. Hopefully I will be adding the info to this thread at some point once I have tidied it up and improved it - I just need to find some spare time!

Blizzaird

Post by Blizzaird » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:37 am

Link83 wrote:Blizzaird, you are the first person who has a confirmed NUS-CPU-07 revision! Its interesting that the serial number NS245115552 you gave is right in the middle of the NUS-CPU-05 range - I wonder if Nintendo also used a refurbished case for your model or if Nintendo changed production back to the NUS-CPU-05 revision for some reason. Of course it could just be an anomally from the 'change-over' period between revisions.

I dont suppose theres any chance of some pictures of your NUS-CPU-07 revision if its not too much trouble?
I'd love to but I don't have a camera at the moment and I don't think a crappy cellphone will give you anything clear enough to be useful. I double checked the serial number, no mistake there, I'm pretty sure it hadn't been opened before, and I don't have any other N64s it could have gotten swapped with. I'm guessing case and board production just wasn't very well synchronized, especially with the latter revisions.

EDIT: If it's any help it looks pretty much exactly like kibble's revision 05 (layout of caps and the small chips and such) but, like his 08-1, it has one RAM chip instead of two.
eurddrue wrote: Yes, but be warned, overclocking doesn't make much of a difference. Basically what it does is eliminate lag in most games. Mario said that it messes with perfect dark too. It definitely doesn't make it go 2.0x speed.
That's really all I want it to do :) and I'm putting a switch on it for games it doesn't play nice with.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 pm

I found another N64 that has an NS9- serial number for sale here. I probably won't buy it, but it's interesting nonetheless.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:13 pm

Sorry for the double post...

NS279164397 NUS-CPU-08

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:27 pm

I was taking apart my dev 64 the rest of the way. Amazingly there is a MAV-NUS in there!!!

NS245848030, it's already on the list. NUS-CPU-05. This seems to disprove a theory or two.

M Moogle

Post by M Moogle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:38 pm

NS100086232
NUS-CPU-02
Attachments
SNC00849.jpg
SNC00849.jpg (137.85KiB)Viewed 15697 times
SNC00848.jpg
SNC00848.jpg (123.4KiB)Viewed 15697 times

Link83

Post by Link83 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:51 am

Hi all, Sorry for the delay of this update (I have been really busy the past couple of months :() and thanks to all hose who have replied since my last post including; Blizzaird, eagle5953, marshallh and M Moogle :D

Blizzaird - Thanks very much for the info. If you do ever get a camera I would love some pictures of your NUS-CPU-07 motherboard if its not too much trouble. Your still the only person to have reported an NUS-CPU-07 revision so I am quite curious to see what it looked like.

esagle5953 - Thanks for the sale link, its a shame the seller only ships to the US as otherwise I would have been quite interested in buying it. I have also added your serial number to the list - thanks very much :)

marshallh - Thats really interesting about the MAV-NUS, I really thought that it was only added from NUS-CPU-05-1 onwards, but I was obviously mistaken :oops: This almost totally confirms that the AVDC-NUS and MAV-NUS chips are pin-compatible, considering that they were both used on exactly the same motherboard revision (Maybe they are both the same chip with just a name change?) btw Is it a 'real' dev N64?
If you ever have chance I would love some more details about your NUS-CPU-09 revision as mentioned in my post on the previous page, but I wouldn't want to pull you away from your cart emulator project :)

M Moogle - That is the earliest US N64 I have even seen or heard of! I never even knew the NUS-CPU-02 had been released in the US. All other US launch consoles I have read about have been NUS-CPU-03 so I really didn't think that the NUS-CPU-02 revision had made it to the US at all, but am happy to be told otherwise. Its certainly a very low serial number and must have been in the first batch of US consoles - did you buy it on launch day?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that I have just totally revised my first post, including:-

- Removed the 'Yes' or 'No' bit after every serial number which showed if it that revision could or could not be RGB modded - this has simplified the list into only serials and revisions as the Yes/No part wasnt really necessary (In the process I had to remove a handful of serial numbers which never included the motherboard revision code) Instead I have included an 'RGB Mod Keychart' at the bottom of the list so the RGB mod info is still there, just differently arranged :wink:

- I have currently removed the French N64 serials as they were not really very helpful. I will however probably add them back soon along with some European N64 serial/revision numbers.

- Added an entire new section about N64 motherboard revisions and their main chips - I had been planning on doing this for a while but never got round to it. I could do with help double checking my info and filling in any blanks (I am not positive about the RDRAM revisions between NUS-CPU-04 to NUS-CPU-09) Still no sign of an NUS-CPU-06 :?

- I also added a 'Notes' section to each revision with any interesting/useful info I could think of about that particular revision - if you can think of anything more to add to these please let me know.

Thats all for now, please keep posting your serials/revisions (and any other info about the chip names/revisions if you can) I hope everyone finds the extra first post info useful :)
Last edited by Link83 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

M Moogle

Post by M Moogle » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:01 am

Link83 wrote: M Moogle - That is the earliest US N64 I have even seen or heard of! I never even know the NUS-CPU-02 had been released in the US. All other US launch consoles I have read about have been NUS-CPU-03 so I really didn't think that the NUS-CPU-02 revision had made it to the US at all, but am happy to be told otherwise. Its certainly a very low serial number and must have been in the first batch of US consoles - did you buy it on launch day?
Actually, this N64 has been around about a month before they were released to stores in the US. It was supposed to end up in a store display, but it didn't quite make it :wink:. It was pretty cool as a kid seeing Mario 64 before anyone else had it.

Link83

Post by Link83 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:09 am

M Moogle wrote:
Link83 wrote: M Moogle - That is the earliest US N64 I have even seen or heard of! I never even know the NUS-CPU-02 had been released in the US. All other US launch consoles I have read about have been NUS-CPU-03 so I really didn't think that the NUS-CPU-02 revision had made it to the US at all, but am happy to be told otherwise. Its certainly a very low serial number and must have been in the first batch of US consoles - did you buy it on launch day?
Actually, this N64 has been around about a month before they were released to stores in the US. It was supposed to end up in a store display, but it didn't quite make it :wink:. It was pretty cool as a kid seeing Mario 64 before anyone else had it.
Thanks very much for the info :o That must have been really awesome for you as a kid :) It also explains why I hadn't heard of a US NUS-CPU-02 before.

Does this store display N64 console have anything else 'special' about it? (Pre-production or unusual/different stickers/labels on the base?) and did it come with any other interesting kiosks items like Nintendo kiosk set-up leaflets, or pre-production packaging? If so is there any chance of some pictures? 8)

...I dont think we are ever going to get an earlier US serial number than yours - an N64 used in store display kiosks sent out a month before launch!

M Moogle

Post by M Moogle » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:28 am

Link83 wrote:
M Moogle wrote:
Thanks very much for the info :o That must have been really awesome for you as a kid :)
Does this kiosk N64 console have anything else 'special' about it? (Pre-production or unusual/different stickers/labels on the base?) and did it come with any other interesting kiosks items like Nintendo kiosk set-up leaflets, or pre-production packaging? If so is there any chance of some pictures? 8)
It has "not for resale" or something like that stamped/melted into the plastic on the bottom, and the Mario 64 cartridge has a NFR sticker on it. I'll double check when I get home from work. Other than that it looks and acts exactly the same as any other N64 I've ever used.
I also have a Gameboy DemoBoy laying around somewhere that I'm starting to think is really rare - Google tells me of lots of "Demoboy II"s but mine is definitely different than those.

Link83

Post by Link83 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:40 pm

M Moogle wrote: It has "not for resale" or something like that stamped/melted into the plastic on the bottom, and the Mario 64 cartridge has a NFR sticker on it. I'll double check when I get home from work. Other than that it looks and acts exactly the same as any other N64 I've ever used.
I also have a Gameboy DemoBoy laying around somewhere that I'm starting to think is really rare - Google tells me of lots of "Demoboy II"s but mine is definitely different than those.
Wow that sounds pretty cool 8) I would love to see a picture of the bottom of your N64 if its not too much trouble? (The Gameboy DemoBoy sounds interesting as well but I dont know anything about it)

M Moogle

Post by M Moogle » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Here's some pics of the bottom and the Mario 64 cartridge.
SNC00853.jpg
SNC00853.jpg (128.57KiB)Viewed 15648 times
SNC00854.jpg
SNC00854.jpg (109.71KiB)Viewed 15648 times
SNC00855.jpg
SNC00855.jpg (56.67KiB)Viewed 15648 times

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:19 pm

^ that is awesome! :D
NUS-001
Serial # NS205730658
Rev 5
AVDC chip

mako321

Post by mako321 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:20 pm

I don't get it :?: my n64 has the green cart door even though it's a grey system, but even though it was supposed to be a rev 9 board, I opened it and found a rev 5 board... :?