SifuF's Nintendo Sixtyfree LITE-R

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:05 am

Just realised, no memory card in system - some games need it. Some games also need rumble too - if no space for a rumble, then an LED could suffice...

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:39 am

Mario wrote:Mmkay, here it is. The switch on the bottom is in the up position normally, until you press it. Also, the ground on the screen isn't really ground, because all grounds are connected. It's the "ground" for the buttons.

I figured that WAS how he did it... anything else seems kinda overkill.

Say, you're quite the messy painter, aren't you? :P
You'd expect something this messy to be less readable

edit: Hey you're right with the above post. I guess this is why he didn't do it that way...

SifuF

Post by SifuF » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:00 pm

In both of these diagrams, The D-pad would constantly control both the screen and the N64, regardless of whether or not the start/select button was held down. This is because the ground for the switches is common to the screen, N64 and controller.

It can be done many ways. This is the way I did it, with a similar circuit for the brightness.

SifuF

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:16 pm

The forum is slow because of you.
Shame on you, stop being so perfect.

I haven't ever taken any electronics classes, and your diagram doesn't quite make... any sense at all to me. :lol:
Could you tell me what the labels are, and what the triangles and semicircles are?
I understand the grounds, switches, and resistors at least.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:19 pm

Basement Modder, you do realize that -||- means capacitor, right?

also, do tact switches work that way?

edit: I guess not, according to SifuF, though so.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Kyo wrote:Basement Modder, you do realize that -||- means capacitor, right?

also, do tact switches work that way?

edit: I guess not, according to SifuF, though so.
Not in this case :lol:

Crap I forgot about that. I just wanted to clean it up, for I HATE when traces are crossing. I like my diagrams to be clean-cut and a tright angles if you know what I mean. :wink:

SifuF- The dpad wouldn't always control that because the psone screen gnd is disconnected from the n64 controller's gnd in my diagram.

When the start button is pressed, the 2 gnds are joined and thus the dpad will control the psone screen.

Normally, Its just the Start button lead and the psone screen gnd that are connected, rendering nothing

I tried this yesterday with a LED light and some coin batteries. The dpad still controlled the controller, but when the start button was held down, it controlled BOTH.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:00 pm

@ JJhamerstein - Those funny circly things are and gates when both inputs are high the output will be high. In this case dpad and start. The things on the right are transistors which are switched on when the and gate goes high.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:16 pm

SifuF wrote:It can be done many ways. This is the way I did it, with a similar circuit for the brightness.

SifuF
Eh, too much work for me. I'll just do it my way. I need a separate button, and the D-pad will control the game, too, but just I hate those logic gates. Too complicated.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Oh come on, these are real electronics. I think it would be great if we all used more of those. Physics are fun!

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:07 pm

Okay... but I could never get those things to work for me, not even in those step-by-step electronics kits I got when I was 8...

I'll need a better explanation. What ICs should I use?

SifuF

Post by SifuF » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:29 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:
SifuF- The dpad wouldn't always control that because the psone screen gnd is disconnected from the n64 controller's gnd in my diagram.

When the start button is pressed, the 2 gnds are joined and thus the dpad will control the psone screen.

Normally, Its just the Start button lead and the psone screen gnd that are connected, rendering nothing

I tried this yesterday with a LED light and some coin batteries. The dpad still controlled the controller, but when the start button was held down, it controlled BOTH.
Yes, it will work for an LED with a separate power source, but in this case:

The 'volume up' line (for example) is held logic high until it is pulled low (referenced to the screen's supply) by the 'volume up' tact switch, by connecting it to the screen ground.
But the screen ground is already connected to the N64 through the video ground, which is also connected to the controller ground. So the ground is common.

If you made a switch that did disconnected the screen ground from the N64/controller ground, there would be no video while it was pressed.

SifuF

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:38 pm

Then can we have a better explanation on how to do this? Please?

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Ohhhh...I get it now.

Never before realized that common ground meant the WHOLE system+controller
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:12 pm

What I want to know is this - apart from Engadget and Hack-a-Day, what other sites was this project posted onto - there have been over 123k viewings so far.

Perhaps someone could list the other sites this project was posted onto??

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Gizmodo has it.