A Start Out N64p

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Nicholas64
A Start Out N64p

Post by Nicholas64 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:40 pm

Well, As you can tell im a new user here, and im just getting into projects and what not, so I wanted to know if i could get tips on how, and what i should do to make My N64p. My general idea was to add a slide in cartridge pack, and Back light the screen to the Project, if thats possible. I dont want to start out with something too complicated, if this is a little tough for a newbie like me, tell me. Anyone know of an easy and good way to do this, And some of the parts i should use?
Im a newbie to this stuff so i wanted to start out with a Portable project, that wouldnt cost me much. I have at least 5 N64's Lying around with the many controllers i have, and this is one of my favorite Nintendo consoles, So this is what i want to start on. :)

Edit: Im very sorry for the 2 topic thing, i guess when i double clicked submit it made 2, the one opposed to this one can be deleted.
Glad Solar Egg is modder, Now im still in line for: Youngest Portabalizer.
Portables soon to come: Ninelevendo64, Sega Nightmare, PSPlayGround.... Image

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:50 pm

My opinion is to start out with something a LOT simpler.

The n64 is one of the harder ones. And it's very easy to fry them.

Try a Nes or Radica first :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

collinE

Post by collinE » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:02 pm

it is tougher to do a N64, but like you said, you've got 5 chances to make one. It's also tough because there are two different voltages going into the N64.

I'm doing one for my first portable and without any previous electronic experience so it's not to say you can't do it, but there are easier consoles to start out with.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

newguy101

Post by newguy101 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:58 pm

well im by no means a expert portable maker but i started with the SNES and i pretty much threw that around and kinda abused it and it never fried, on the other hand i was extremely careful with the n64, and i managed to fry 2 of them so far(not quite done yet) and yes the voltage differences make it a bit harder as well but can be solved with a free TI regulator(search forums and you can find it). when i made my SNESp i had no previous soldering or electronics experience and it wasnt too hard. but snes cost about $40(or about 20-25 for off-brand remake) and you already have a few N64. if cost is the issue i would do N64 portable and just not worry about relocating the cartridge slot or expansion slot until later. hope that helps

Nicholas64

Post by Nicholas64 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:03 pm

So Out of most newbie projects Which is the best one to start out with, mainly in the nintendo category. I have Some what many systems, and pretty much a double of all, or more. ill give a list of what i have so this choice on a starting project could be made easier.

Systems:
-4 N64's
-2Nintendo wii's (One was my sisters, but, she doesn't use it anymore.)
-2 NG-cubes
-1 Sega Genesis
-2 SNES Consoles, (also a favorite, However in there regualr bulky size.)
-1 Platinum Flat PS2
-1 NES Console, thats a b**** to get working.
Portables:
-1 Nintendo DS Lite (Had more but lost em, *Sigh*)
-1 Old GBA
-1 Old Sega Portable, I Have it packed away, cant remember the name but i know i got it, still works fine also.

And thats pretty much it.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:21 pm

The N64 is more likely to fry than many other consoles, and it needs two different voltages, so that makes it more difficult. However, there have been a number of people who have successfully made great N64 portables on their first try. If you're up to the challenge, go for it.

It looks like the N64 would be the cheapest for you to start with, simply because you already have extras.

Just my opinion, though. I'm more into modding and repairing consoles than portabilizing them. lol
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

newguy101

Post by newguy101 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:17 pm

personally i would start with the NES or SNES, with the older the systems, generally, its easier to portablize since all the components arent crowded and complex. it turns up much smaller to use a Nintendo off-brand, top loading system or the redesigned SNES mini system. so unless you wanted a larger portable, or dont want to invest additional money in the smaller systems, i would go with the N64 since you have a few to spare and they arent costly(usually console only about $15 shipped on ebay).

Nicholas64

Post by Nicholas64 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Well, I really wanna go on trying with the N64, But starting out easier would be a GREAT idea. If i get a Bit of experience before i go off onto my N64p Project, i might not end up Frying all 5, (like an idiot). I dont doubt myself, but i wanna choose the smart way to do this. Im thinking about starting with the snes, cuz i enjoy it more then the nes, and i have 2, instead of 1. I will end up with a bigger portable probably, unless i seriously consider buying the more compact version on ebay, Because the 2 I own are the Regular Bulky size. Just talking about this now, is exciting. I can't wait to get into my snes.

newguy101

Post by newguy101 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:34 pm

im not sure in the differences on the board between the original SNES and the mini SNES. they may be different, havent opened up the original version. the only tutorials(and in ben's book) ive seen were for the mini snes. but i havent looked for any for the original, so you may want to search around and make sure its either the similar setup or if there is a separate tutorial, shouldnt be too different, but for someone just starting it could make some confusing differences.

Nicholas64

Post by Nicholas64 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:58 pm

With that, i guess ive got a task at hand, Thanks for the help and stuff. Im thinking of opening a thread, Showing progress and stuff, so i can be open to ideas, and suggestions. Im gonna Get fimilar with my snes and stuff. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. :) I look forward to seeing you guys and your ideas on the thread i plan on opening.

Nicholas64

Post by Nicholas64 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:13 pm

Well, i decided to Sit down and open up my snes, When looking at the bottom, i saw those pesky nintendo screws, any idea on how i can get it open without Damaging the casing, or of course whats inside?

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Look around. There's stickies in four or five places for how to deal with them.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Quetzalcoatlus
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Quetzalcoatlus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:45 pm

If you have one of the later original SNES's, it should have a motherboard that's not all that much larger than that of the SNES mini. You can tell if it's one of the later ones by looking at the eject panel; the earlier ones have "eject" printed on in white, whereas the later ones have it molded into the panel.

Nicholas64

Post by Nicholas64 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:42 pm

Well Yea i have the earlier model. Im working on its casing, Im going to incorparate the Controler design into the case, and im thinking of Using the Ps1 Screen, But if theres a better choice in screening, im open to the suggestions. Basically this is what im working with:

I am hoping i can turn this into a portable.

Edit: Oh and thnx Tibia for the Stickies thing. I ordered A Gamebit Screw driver fromMy local hardware store. I should be in my SNES in no time.

Nicholas64

Post by Nicholas64 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:24 pm

As of right now ive already gotten into my snes and and made some progress with the mother board. Its completely free, and as of now im Following bens instructions from his book, However,.... There are a little variables. Im using the bulky model and bens Instructions were made for the Mini. Anyone have or know where i can get some info on what to do with my Mother board? Remember, ima newbie.