Bacteria's project - PSone portable: IntoPlay finished: PICS

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:58 pm

option 2. there is way too much goin on up top in option 1. too distracting and off-balanced for my tastes.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:34 pm

Option 1 is nice, because you don't have buttons all over the place.
However, like you said, it does look top-heavy. Obviously, the switches
won't make it physically heavier but visually. Maybe the speakers would
balance it.

Option 2 is good because it spreads things out a bit more, so it doesn't look
too crowded. There isn't as much room at the bottom of the screen,
however, there's still plenty for a couple tact switches. But with this design,
it looks like you have buttons scattered all over the place, and with the
speakers and logo, it'll look bottom-heavy.

Both designs have their flaws. So what to do? Well, there aren't always
only 2 options to a problem. Make up a new option. Why do they have to be
on the front of the case? Do you really use them that much? I think they
would look real nice if you put them on the top of the case, like in your
N64/GBA portable.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:40 pm

Interesting; a split vote so far.

I am leaning onto option 2 for the same reasons as lovablechevy is; CFC Fodder has a good idea, will look at that as an alternative (putting them on the sides at the bottom, in line with the edge of the screen window) and logo bottom middle; or just using option 2 and moving the buttons away from the centre a bit more (although I don't have much space in there).

I will have to experiment tomorrow.

Anyone got thoughts about the speaker grill pattern (feel free to post pics please with your thoughts). Don't want it tacky but want it in keeping with the style of the casing.

Other thing is name. I am a bit stumpted thinking of a useful name for the portables that are good and sensible and preferably a couple of words which would be easily adaptable for the PlayStation, SNES and N64. Can't really use Nintendo or Sony in the names as they aren't.

Also wondering the best way to put a good logo on the case. I can only think of dry transfer lettering, not sure if there is an option.

I have some very minor scratches on the case, so will give it a light sand before spray painting; the paint will be metallic black with tiny silvery flecks, if that helps to visualize.

Mario - I must confess I thought the same thing, you don't often need to adjust the volume or contrast levels, so why have the buttons so visible? Thing is they need to be somewhere, on the top of a case works if the case is flat and not curved (although an on/off switch is ok there, so it might work there); only other option is on the back as you mention, however the back only has enough space for a CD and a CD surround. Means the best place is the front.

As you say, it isn't clear cut.

newguy101

Post by newguy101 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:36 pm

i agree with Option 2, nice work so far btw. with too much at the top it almost makes it look upside down

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:53 pm

newguy101 - :D :D Option 2 it is (or variation of)!

Now, about speaker holes....?

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:59 am

Update for today:

Speaker grills!

No-one came in with an idea, I thought about doing horizontal ones but finished on a different shape!

lovablechevy will hate me for this, but I butchered a Sega Game Gear, which I bought for £2 a few months ago at a car boot sale. Picture didn't work, just got a white screen. Why did I butcher it you ask?... well, for the speaker grill :twisted:

On the case, it is important to "X marks the spot" to locate the center of the position for the speaker holes, and a horizontal line so the speaker template is aligned straight and not at an angle.

Cut it out, flattened the back, then stuck it to the system case with electrical tape, as being plastic tape it sticks really well to the plastic case.

No point drilling downwards, and ruining the holes in the template; used a drill bit in my Dremel which was slightly smaller than the hole, rested the drill bit through the hole, then turned on the Dremel to pass through the case to make the hole. When all holes done, put drill through each hole, turned on the Dremel for half a second and off again, then removed the Dremel and onto the other holes. This ensures each hole is cut in the right place, evenly and without damaging the template.

Did this hole cutting with a bit of trepidation as speaker holes can make or break the looks of a system.

Case secured to desk with more electrical tape to stop it moving about.

Looks nice!

Same for other side:

Done! Used a pencil eraser to remove the CD marker pen marks.

Next job, screen contrast buttons and volume buttons.

Anyone come up with any appropriate names for my projects??

sdh

Post by sdh » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:47 am

Oh yeah, another update! :)
Those speaker grills looks sweet, I'd say that Sega Game Gear had it coming.

EDIT:
Btw, how sturdy is that plastic, does it flex much?

Nhialor

Post by Nhialor » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:42 pm

not to put a downer on it, but is it me or does the D-Pad look a bit off center or mis-angled or something?

Nice grills! Hope u read this before you do your buttons just to consider it, but what about having one set of buttons up the top, and one set down the bnottom, and on the bottom, taking the lettering between the 2. Kinda like this:
[center]
!SCREENSCREENSCREENSCREEN!
````````````````````````````
X PLAYSTAION PORTABLE X

[/center]

Or the name you chose, and have like 2 spaced out at the top also, with the logo, say from a ps2 system. U no plastic one that is on the case?

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... tion-3.jpg

Like the one on there about the eject button. (Couldn't find a picture of it close up on the ps2. But there is one on there too.)

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:57 pm

Nhialor - Pleased you like the speaker holes, first time I tried this particular technique, very pleased it worked out ok.

You were technically right with your observation on the d-pad; the top, right and bottom holes were 9mm wide, the left was 8mm; which of course made the d-pad look off-center (optical illusion) - I just made the left hole 9mm and job done. Also widened them slightly where they all meet in a point.

To prove it is now central to the case:

The contrast and volume buttons are proving to be a issue; top is sensible but makes the system look top heavy, bottom is too tight on space; anyway, how often do you change these settings when set anyway? Think I will put them in the back, out of the way, taking advantage of the curve of a CD disk to have space for them.

Space then on case for a PlayStation logo between the Select and Start buttons and a system name under the screen area. It will look balanced then.

Thinking along these lines for artwork. It will look different as the case will be spray painted in metallic black; below is just an illustration.

Dang, can't think of a suitable name - come on guys, ideas??

How will I get a good quality image printed onto the casing (the PS logo and wording)? Don't really want to use photo paper printed on; not sure alternatives.

HBN

Post by HBN » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:42 pm

I don't know about a name (thinking), but don't use the logo more than once on the front of the system. Its distracting. I think keep the top one. And certainly don't put it in the middle of the word "Playstation". Its supposed to be one word, and separating it like that is just wrong on so many levels (Even though it is technically grammatically correct).

It's looking good. I still stand by putting the vol/contrast on the top, though.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:51 pm

name it the playboy advance :D
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm

HBN - Agree with your comment on the logo only being in one place, on reflection. The top logo looks appropriate as it breaks up the two buttons. Problem is that I will soon be finishing the case and doing the paint job, so need to make a decision.

Still may end up with the buttons at the top (I can't decide!); however the illustration proves that having wording at the bottom of the case stops the system looking unbalanced; so works.

Only name I can come up with is "PSPortable" but that sounds like a PSP. "OneStation" would have been fine but that is the name of a Chinese rip-off system, "PSOneStation" is possible, or perhaps I should just keep "Playstation" or "PlayStation". Oh, I don't know! This is silly, sorting out a name is proving to be one of the harder parts of this project! :roll:

themadhacker - Your posting came as I was compiling this text - "PlayBoy Advance" is quite good, but "Advance" is more for a GBA system; "PlayBoy" sounds quite good actually (might use that if something better doesn't come along); perhaps more wordplay? Other ideas please??

Off to bed now, looking forward to reading comments tomorrow! :D

HBN

Post by HBN » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm

PlayBoy sounds toooooo....Slutty? Seriously, I think that should stick to the magazine. Its an idea that's up to you, but...ehhh....Its not my bowl of soup.

How about Portastation?
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:06 pm

SUPER STATION

Nhialor

Post by Nhialor » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:15 pm

CurveStation? iStation?

It reminds me of a balance board for the wii...:P

The logo would look better stuck on in plastic than painted, but if you are chosing to paint, paint it up the top!