Bacteria's project - PSone portable: IntoPlay finished: PICS

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Once you put the screens motherboard in there won't you have a hard time putting in the buttons perfboard or pcb?

Just asking because i am in the middle of a VERY small PsoneP and that is one of the huge problems, the Psone screen motherboard sticks out over the side of the lcd almost an inch on each side. That makes it hard to put the controls close to the lcd.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

exploding.monkey

Post by exploding.monkey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:02 pm

thats probaly what i'll do, so i dont have anything in the back except for the R and L buttons and the battery.

i don't know, ill figure it out.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:20 pm

hailrazer - No, I have worked it out so it isn't an issue. The 4 button board doesn't have a capacitor on the PSone mobo to block up against, whereas it does on the d-pad side, however that has also been accounted for in my design.

The 4 button controller case part (red section in my pic) is about 3-4mm taller than the PSone screen; one thought I had is, rather than waste space here, is to consider putting the controller mobo in that space; it needs to go somewhere after all. That would conserve height. The PSone screen mobo would go on top of this, and the PSone console mobo on top of that; with the batteries and CD drive on the top layer (batteries can fit alongside the CD drive itself).

The only problem I have, which I have planned for, is that the PSone mobo needs to be trimmed (see earlier posting) at the top of the mobo and a few connections re-wired. Can't be helped.

UPDATE:

I will definitely need to put the PSone controller boards between the PSone screen and the PSone screen mobo. I am using good quality 40mm mylar speakers, they aren't as flat as normal - in fact, they are 16mm thick. This actually isn't an issue, in fact does me a favour in some ways as I don't have to be too worried about the height of the control surrounds and boards. I did a quick test, I should be able to hopefully have everything, including the PSOne console mobo, in a total height of about 22mm (the height of my front section of the case), the PSone console mobo will be upside down, so the CD mechanism can sit on top along with the two batteries; meaning a total height around the 47mm as I originally planned. Logically, it makes no odds anyway having the controller board on top of the screen or a mobo; takes the same space.

Starting to prepare the d-pad area for cutting now, back soon!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:44 am

Work log for today:

Placed a couple of speakers in place to get an idea of size. The speakers can't lay flat, too big, even though they are only 40mm ones (8 ohm, 1 watt); they will lay at a slight angle. No problem, as the speaker holes when made will do the job.

Made the d-pad central in the casing (yes, you guessed it, using the d-pad from the PSone controller!). Used CD marker pen to draw the outlines.

Blu-Tack is ideal to hold components in place for this purpose.

When the initial holes were cut out and the basic shape done, turned case over to repeat process, so I know exactly what to cut out.

After a fair bit of work using small files and also engraving tool (side cutter), got to this:

Time to trim down the d-pad holder section, as done before:

to:

After sanding the tip of one of my fingers on the electric sander (ouch), came up with a better idea, put the component on a foam sanding block to hold it in place whilst the electric sander did the job. Far safer! :roll:

The hole for the joystick is cut out from the old controller, there is no space for the joystick surround and anyway, I need some space for the shoulder buttons. I therefore need to craft a joystick holder.

The corners of the PSone screen are drawn in place to gauge where the joystick hole can go. Space is really tight, only have a couple of millimeters to play with.

Outline drawn for holes, after trimming the joystick hole circle to a minimum. I will probably have to trim off most of the bottom of the joystick cap later, as the dome will get in the way of the screen otherwise. Not a problem, the dome isn't needed, there are other ways to make the hole look a solid colour, as you will see in my build.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am

Last project work for today:

Needed to put in Start and Select buttons, no space at the bottom of the PSone screen, anyway, looks nice on the top.

Here goes more cutouts from the PSone conttroller case:

Get it in center above PSone screen

Holes cut (triangle and rectangle)

Here we are so far - components placed in their positions; the PSone screen controls and headphone jack will go at the back of the system, as the on/off switch may well go.

Need to get the shoulder buttons done and the speaker grills next.

I think you can see, making a portable with a 5" PSone screen doesn't get smaller than this, if at all.

sdh

Post by sdh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:59 am

Lookin' good! :)

Nhialor

Post by Nhialor » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:41 am

that is absoloutly ridicilious.

It looks unbelievable, absolutely amazing. Fair play man. And I appreciate that you are documentating it for us all. I love these ones. I am planning my first mod atm. Actually had ur design down as one of my own, was a shock to see that the two of us came up with the same idea. But I chose a different design in the end.

I can't wait for tomorrow's update.

Also, is it not a bit dodgy trimming the mother board? I don't know all that much about modding, but like, what if u cut through something you need? I know you can re-attach it, but would it not be really hard?

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:25 am

Nhialor - Yeah, of course you did... Image

It isn't dodgy trimming a board down as long as you know what you are trimming - either a section where the top and bottom of a board are both grounding areas; or in the case of the PSone screen mobo where there just a few traces to rewire, which feed to the coil bit (don't know what the component is called, but without it the screen doesn't light up). People doing an LED mod can remove that area anyway, I need to keep it but just rewire it lightly.

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm

bacteria wrote:It isn't dodgy trimming a board down as long as you know what you are trimming - either a section where the top and bottom of a board are both grounding areas; or in the case of the PSone screen mobo where there just a few traces to rewire, which feed to the coil bit (don't know what the component is called, but without it the screen doesn't light up). People doing an LED mod can remove that area anyway, I need to keep it but just rewire it lightly.
It is a transformer and it jumps the voltage WAY up to power the orignial cathode backlight.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:35 am

Yes, of course, a transformer; forgot its name!

Between night shifts at moment, need to get back to sleep. Have half the day tomorrow for project work, so will give some updates again then.

What I will add today, although I haven't put them into the casing yet, is that I am using four of these tact switches to control the screen brightness and system volume levels. I used them on my Mini project, they are very good: 6mm tacts, but have tops which pop onto the tact switch to become integrated. This makes it far, far easier to mount them into a case!

BTW - just got some more of these, they are all you need to make holes in your case like I have done:

When I sell my cases, my plan is to provide the following in the kit:

* Front and back system cases (one of each). People can then cut out the holes to suit what they want, although I intend to trace outlines on the cases so people can easily adopt my design and cut out the holes.

* Instruction booklet, probably A5 in size.

* UK 1p coin - it is virtually exactly the same size as a joystick cut-out hole, so very handy!

* 4 x the tactile 6mm switches with caps, as per pic above - buyer chooses them in red or black or two of each colour.

* 2 x 40mm mylar 1 watt 8 ohm speakers. This is depending on my sources providing them ok, but I don't see an issue.

The reason for providing the speakers is that they are very good ones, stock PSone speakers don't fit in my case. The tact switches are unusual, and cheap, so makes sense to supply some of these as the space in the case is very tight and these tact switches make sense. I may also provide a switch too for on/off; not sure yet.

That way, all the buyer needs to provide are two or three Playstation controllers, a PSone console, PSone screen, memory card, batteries and charger, switch. They will also need all the tools needed for the project (sanding paper, Dremel, soldering tools and bits, etc, etc).

I will have a go at making the contents as a vacuum formed clear package, to look a bit like a "shop quality" item, although the only place anyone can buy them is via my website, and payment via PayPal (worldwide) or other options if UK.

I'm going to be reasonable with the sale price, but need to make suitable profit on it to warrant my time, effort and costs; and recoup my development costs of course.

FEEDBACK please (x2):

A:

Deciding if I put two of them to the left of the Start/Select buttons (top of case on front) for the screen contrast and two on the right for volume; or put all four on the bottom of the case.

Which do you think is best?

Option 2 looks conventional and balanced as there are buttons all over the case including top and bottom; however having the buttons at the bottom looks like a stock PSone screen control.

Option 1 looks snazzy but a bit top heavy.

Both options have merits, one way to use option 2 and keep it looking balanced of course is to put a system logo there.

Thoughts and preferences, guys and gals??

(Option 1)

(Option2)

Interested to see what you think. Don't forget of course the speaker holes will be also drilled into the casing on the bottom left and right of the system casing.

B:

Talking of the speaker holes, not sure if making a diamond shape, hexagon, rectangle, rounded corner square, triangle shape to make the grill holes.

Please feel free to use your graphics program to update my pic to show what speaker grill design you think will look best for this portable and on option 1 or 2 pic! :D
Last edited by bacteria on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdh

Post by sdh » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:59 am

I think option 2 looks better, it seems more symmetrical and balanced as you said. This also keeps the controller and screen buttons seperated.

HBN

Post by HBN » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:14 am

I'm for option one. I like two, don't get me wrong, but with the buttons all around the frame of the system, it appears to be more cluttered.

Besides, I've always fancied the idea of moving those buttons to the top... >.>. It looks nice to me.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:40 am

What about putting two on each side of the screen, near the bottom, going vertically? Adjust down/up would make a good bit of sense then, at least to me, and could help bring a bit more uniformity to the case (provided a logo or some such at the bottom of the screen).

colosalblack

Post by colosalblack » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:40 am

Wow i like where this is going! mmm opinion 1 appeals more to me like HBN said

Nhialor

Post by Nhialor » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:49 pm

I prefer option 1, option 2 is nice, but it looks sleek and kinda like the PSP, but on the top instead of the bottom.

Ur right...just slap a company logo on the bottom and it's a peach!

And I swear about the design, drew it in school, it's slightly different, but I'll show u 2m, scan it in :P

BTW, I'm new to all this, taking in topics and stuff, thinking of making a portable retro duo, so I apologize if I ask too many Q's :P