DreamTrooper .My next portable started. FINISHED :) Youtube

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:40 pm

hailrazer wrote: I was thinking of using momentary push buttons on the sides of the back. These :
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_ ... 454t98.jpg
Or round ones like these:
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_ ... 417t98.jpg

Ideas ? )
My vote is go with the round ones. I haven't laid my hands on the round ones, but I'm not fond of the square ones myself.

How about slight black added to either make the Punisher logo, or a Hollow from Bleach (anime)?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:39 am

collinE wrote:Hate the red buttons imo. egh. Lots of portablizers here love'm but I can't stand them. Makes me think of the ugly side of frankencasing.
What about them don't you like ?
SonyPortableizer wrote:By any chance is this the battery your using?
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=2387
I think it is , but this is the actual kit I bought
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=1494
tom61 wrote:
My vote is go with the round ones. I haven't laid my hands on the round ones, but I'm not fond of the square ones myself.

How about slight black added to either make the Punisher logo, or a Hollow from Bleach (anime)?
I have both the round and the square so I could use either. What don't you like about the square ones ?

I am going to put the Dreamcast Logo on the front where the Lazer Doodle sticker was , with the amber LED shining through it . It should look pretty good :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:00 am

hailrazer wrote:What about them don't you like ?
They remind me of those old movies with Godzilla or aliens from space. The military guys in the "control room" sit with their large headphones and big metal computers with wonky lights that make sounds like R2D2. They always have those BIG RED BUTTONS! :lol:
Last edited by collinE on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:02 am

That gives me an idea for a case mod...

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:47 am

hailrazer wrote:
tom61 wrote:

I have both the round and the square so I could use either. What don't you like about the square ones ?
Not aesthetically pleasing. Also, I don't like the feel that much, they're better than the rectangular ones, but not by much.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Another question for everyone.

Is the D-Pad necessary ?

I was thinking that the joystick might be enough. Is there a real reason to keep the d-pad?
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:52 pm

hailrazer wrote:Another question for everyone.

Is the D-Pad necessary ?

I was thinking that the joystick might be enough. Is there a real reason to keep the d-pad?
Yes, a few commercial games and many homebrew emus use the D-Pad and Joystick for different things.

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:07 pm

hailrazer wrote:Another question for everyone.

Is the D-Pad necessary ?

One word.

Shenmue.

No D-Pad, no ability to move. The joystick only controls the camera in it.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:34 pm

What about the VMU?

It's needed on some games isn't it ? Like Sports Games to pick plays ?

I want to incorporate it so you can see the screen but I am running out of room.

Right now it is just hardwired inside the unit without it's screen , but I could put it on the outside if there was a reason to ????
My Portable Systems:

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:47 pm

Well the screen's hella small, it couldn't be that hard to find room for it if you already have the rest of the card in there.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:Well the screen's hella small, it couldn't be that hard to find room for it if you already have the rest of the card in there.
No the screen attaches to the VMU via small traces that just set on the PCB. So the screen HAS to be attached to the VMU and you need the VMU case to hold it together. So I would have to integrate the entire VMU into the front of the case NOT just the screen. So it would take up a decent amount of room.

I think I'll just leave the screen out as there really isn't much need for it.
My Portable Systems:

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 pm

hailrazer wrote:What about the VMU?

It's needed on some games isn't it ? Like Sports Games to pick plays ?

I want to incorporate it so you can see the screen but I am running out of room.

Right now it is just hardwired inside the unit without it's screen , but I could put it on the outside if there was a reason to ????
Also used in Skies of Arcadia to help find Chams(an on-screen icon replaced the VMU on the Gamecube version). Though not required, Silent Scope had the rifle view on the VMU. Probably are good reasons to use the screen, depending on the games you want to play.

Rather than having it permanently mounted on the front you could have a slot on top to plug it in, that way it'd easily removable for mini games. Perhaps having a VMU inside in slot 2 all the time for storage, then plug in the VMU for slot one in the top when the game calls for it.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Went ahead and added the D-Pad.

Still debating the VMU .......

Wired the GD-Rom. I had to use a heat gun and heat up the two connectors while twisting with pliers. Popped both of them right off. Then I wired those small-a$$ 50 wires. :shock:

Went to hook it up and nothing but a red flash from the led. Tripled checked everything tried again and nothing. So I said screw it for a few days.

Bought another Dreamcast and hooked up the power supply / controller ports/ and voila it worked.

I decided I still didn't like the wire job so I unhooked all 50 wires and re-did them. Hooked everything up and the same darn one red flash and nothing.

Then I noticed it. I had the power supply on upside down. Yea with everything apart it can easily be done. :roll: Thank goodness these Dreamcast are tough.

Flipped it around and everything is perfect. 8)

I now have the front done ad painted and am working on the back cover for the Gd-rom. Yea what fun. :P
My Portable Systems:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:59 pm

hailrazer wrote:Haha LOB said "doodle". :lol:

Well I got the case cut out and the screen abs cemented in. I put it up higher than my last one so I have more room for the joystick/d-pad/buttons higher up.

Oh and I'm thinking about painting this one white.... It fits the Dreamcast theme better I think.

Come over to the light side of the force. :)
Maybe it should be the Stormcast as stormtroopers have white helmets? Just make it a glossy white to give it that nice shine.

edit: I'm an idiot and didn't read the whole thread. flame on.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 am

Almost finished with the front. Just a spot or two to finish up and then the final coat of paint :)

My Portable Systems: