DreamTrooper .My next portable started. FINISHED :) Youtube

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:26 pm

Well... it's a labor of love, right? I think li-poly's are the way to go considering the relatively small form-factor of your case.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

khaag

Post by khaag » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:08 am

I'd definitely go for the li-poly's. I mean if you're already spending a whole bunch of your time making this as awesome as possible, you might as well kick the extra hundred bucks out there to make it that much more awesome. It'll be worth it in the long run, no?
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:53 am

Ok I ordered some Li-Polys. :roll:

Here's what I got.

3 - 3.7v 5000maH Li-Poly's: They are only 3"x2.5" and only 3.3oz each.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=4061

1 - 11.1v Smart Charger :
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=4027

1- 11.1v PCB :
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=3228

I hope everyones happy. :P
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:39 pm

We are.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:38 pm

hailrazer wrote:Ok I ordered some Li-Polys. :roll:

Here's what I got.

3 - 3.7v 5000maH Li-Poly's: They are only 3"x2.5" and only 3.3oz each.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=4061

1 - 11.1v Smart Charger :
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=4027

1- 11.1v PCB :
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=3228

I hope everyones happy. :P
Err, did you get the batteries as an impedance matched set? Charging them in series (and probably parallel) without the impedance being the same inside each cell can cause problems.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:01 pm

tom61 wrote:
Err, did you get the batteries as an impedance matched set? Charging them in series (and probably parallel) without the impedance being the same inside each cell can cause problems.
No I just ordered three of the same.

I ordered two of the same in my Darth64 and they charge and run just fine in series together.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 pm

What a fun day :roll:

I wired up all the buttons and the joystick and the d-pad.
But since I put the d-pad and joystick in at an angle I had to re-orient them so they faced up instead of at an angle. Easier said than done.

Now I am trying to put in some triggers. I was going to just use a push button but the triggers are analog. :x So I am having to try to rig up some analog triggers that will work.

I took the triggers out of a third party X-Box controller and the Quantam. Heres what the two triggers look like. Xbox on top, Quantam on bottom.
The Quantam trigger works by using a slider and a magnet. The magnet has a current run through it and then as you pull the trigger it slides the magnet down causing induction which the Dreamcast reads. So I need to use the slider and adapt a way to make it slide using triggers that will fit in my portable.

I then took the magnetic sliders out of the Quantam triggers and I cut the Xbox triggers so the Quantam magnetic sliders will fit on the end.

I am in the midst of abs cementing the sliders lplastic piece to the Xbox triggers end. Then I will epoxy the entire slider to the end of the plastic casing the Xbox trigger fits in.

Maybe it will work. :)

*EDIT* They failed miserably. Turns out the sliders wouldn't work with a trigger mechanism that operates on a curved plane. See below for different triggers that worked :)
Last edited by hailrazer on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Portable Systems:

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:58 am

Hope it does hail, this is looking better than the N64!
We Didn't Start The Fire! Watch!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5pjoRZNzC0
Andrew wrote:{I was so happy} I was singing in my head!
me wrote:What song?
Andrew wrote:All of them

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Well that worked about as good as trying to force a square block in a round hole (without the hammer) :roll:

I decided to try a simpler route. I took off the stock Quantam triggers and epoxied on Saturn triggers instead from a 3D Saturn Controller.

Then I will just epoxy the mechanisms to the inside of the case with a small slot for the triggers to stick through and slide back and forth.

Pics coming when the triggers are done as I've been working on these things for two days now and I stopped taking pics cause I couldn't get anything to work the way I wanted it to. :(
My Portable Systems:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:49 pm

Got the triggers done finally !!!

Used the stock triggers. Took off the triggers themselves and traded them for Saturn triggers from a 3D Saturn controller. I drilled a hole in the triggers and then epoxied them onto the trigger mechanism.

Then I cut slots in the bottom of the case with a dremel and then used small files to square them off nice and good. Then i epoxied the mechanisms inside the case :

And the backside view. :

They work beautifully and I put them where they fit the trigger fingers perfectly when holding the system :D
My Portable Systems:

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:02 pm

Problem :(

I have everything wired up to the Pico PSU and the Dreamcast is working fine. I then have the 12v out to a 7808 which is outputting around 7.89v to my Zenith screen.

Problem is it keeps shutting off after a minute or so.

Tried it with 12v 5000mah batteries and also with a Regulated 12v 4A power box.

Tried it with 2 different Zenith screens.

Tried it with the hack where you put a wire to the 7805 and then to the 5v in pin to keep the screen on.

NOTHINGS WORKING. :evil:

All I have is simple composite hooked up, and no audio or anything else. Screen looks fine and dandy then after 1-2 minutes it shuts off. If I unhook power and hook it back up the screen comes back on and the Dreamcast is still playing the game demo. So it's not the Dreamcast not sending a signal.

Any ideas?
My Portable Systems:

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:09 pm

can the zenith screens handle 7.89v? i thought they ran off 7.4v... so i would suggest gettin the voltage down a bit more... if that's not it, then i have no clue. hope you figure it out soon!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Turbo Tax 1.0

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 am

how hot is the 7808 getting?
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:02 am

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:how hot is the 7808 getting?
It's getting warm but not blazing hot. And it's still outputting the right voltage when the screen turns off.

@Lovablechevy...... I thought the Zenith screen can handle the same as the Psone screen since they are the same.. Up to 8.5v ??
My Portable Systems:

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:03 am

hailrazer wrote:
Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:how hot is the 7808 getting?
It's getting warm but not blazing hot. And it's still outputting the right voltage when the screen turns off.

@Lovablechevy...... I thought the Zenith screen can handle the same as the Psone screen since they are the same.. Up to 8.5v ??
yeah, sorry. i was informed of that last night by rekarp... :oops:
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!