Special edition Pokemon N64=Uber small N64p

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

palmertech
Special edition Pokemon N64=Uber small N64p

Post by palmertech » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Years ago, a special edition N64 was made, the Pikachu/Pokemon special edition bundle. It generally came bundled with Pokemon stadium 2. Problem is, it did not sell all that well, due to the fact that only the most dedicated pokemon fans would buy it (Most people who had/wanted an N64 already had one along with pokemon stadium). Here is a picture of it: Image

As you can see, the case overall is about the same size as a normal N64. However, the cart port is off to the side! This means that it either has a smaller board off to one side, or a larger board. I would suspect a small board; Why would they pay for a larger one with no need? The extra space was likely used for the pikachu plastic form, which had LED lit cheeks (This adds to the small board theory, because the lights are too high to be mounted on the mobo. More likely, it is a small daughterboard).

Another big difference is the lack of an expansion port on the bottom! This means that the cartrThis would allow for a smaller, thinner portable, as well as an easier cart relocation.
idge was wired DIRECTLY to the board, without jumpers.
Considering that this would require a complete board redesign, I would be willing to bet that it has a much smaller, possibly more power efficient mobo.

Now, the real question.... Who here has one? I am trying to get my hands on one to test myself, but it would be fantastic if any forum members could take one apart for pics. I have PMd a few people, but none of them are tech savvy enough to take apart an N64, and they say it has sentimental value. If it would help, I think I could cram a normal N64 board into the pikachu case for whoever would be willing to trade.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? This idea has been in my head for quite a long time, I wanted to use it myself, but I figured that I might as well just help out whoever has more time than me. ;)[/img]

Excellent

Quetzalcoatlus
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Quetzalcoatlus » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:11 pm

I've seen one of those before. I seem to remember it being slightly wider than a regular N64, meaning that it would probably have a regular N64 motherboard.

collinE

Post by collinE » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:16 pm

sorry to burst your bubble.

It's actually the same exact thing as the original except for the case. The case is just expanded to the right so that it can fit a big pikachu onto the front. Compare it to the size of a normal N64 and you'll see everything is in it's correct place, but now it's lopsided. Open it up and it still has the exact same mobo.

That really would have been awesome and made for a really nice portable. :(

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Are you absolutely sure? Have you actually checked it yourself? The fact remains that it lacks an expansion slot, and that would mean for sure it had a board redesign.

Excellent

DK

Post by DK » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Yer, bigger case. Seen a couple in the flesh and they're stonking great big consoles thanks to pikachu. Never really looked at the bottom though so I can't confirm the lack of expansion port.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:19 pm

palmertech wrote:Are you absolutely sure? Have you actually checked it yourself? The fact remains that it lacks an expansion slot, and that would mean for sure it had a board redesign.
Nintendo probably realized by that time that the EXT port wasn't going to be used, so they just put a solid piece of plastic on bottom. Likely saved a few cents over making a door for a slot they knew wouldn't get used.

Nurd!

Post by Nurd! » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:55 pm

I use one of these every day, and It's case is case is the only difference, also the lack of expansion slot.

Oh, and It was Bundled with Hey You! Pikachu! and a squirtle watch,