Introducing the Darth 64....... Youtube Video Added

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:27 pm

Amazing, just amazing :shock: :shock:
Since you dont like the back not being smooth and all looks like ill put myself aside and take it :roll: :roll:
Jk Jk Very nice, the back is not noticeable, it was until you said it was not smooth that I noticed

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:51 am

SonyPortableizer wrote:Amazing, just amazing :shock: :shock:
Since you dont like the back not being smooth and all looks like ill put myself aside and take it :roll: :roll:
Jk Jk Very nice, the back is not noticeable, it was until you said it was not smooth that I noticed
I'll wind up fixing it :)

totokan

Post by totokan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:31 am

I commend you on your excellent portable. Amazing job!
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:38 am

When you say ABS cement, what exactly are you using? Like the stuff in cans for plumbing pipes? Or is there something else? I really like those smooth, solid joints. It looks so much better than hot glue. I imagine you can't peel it out, either. lol

Again, fantastic job. That is some amazing work, and something to be proud of!
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:56 am

Yeah, great stuff!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:01 pm

mothatrucka wrote:When you say ABS cement, what exactly are you using? Like the stuff in cans for plumbing pipes? Or is there something else? I really like those smooth, solid joints. It looks so much better than hot glue. I imagine you can't peel it out, either. lol

Again, fantastic job. That is some amazing work, and something to be proud of!
Yes it's the Abs Cement found at the hardware store for plumbing pipes. I got the black kind as it seems to be a bit thicker.

And it really does fuse plastic together. I originally had a Zenith screen I put in but I didn't like the way it was recessed so I tried to pull it off after 4 days. Wouldn't budge, wouldn't tear no matter how hard I pulled. . Had to cut it off with a hot knife. :shock:

Warp

Post by Warp » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:03 pm

very well done :shock:
it looks very proffessional, it must have been a heartbreak to destroy an Hori controller ? :wink:

the case's form is pretty unconventional but nice

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:19 pm

anotherperson wrote:
Warp wrote:it must have been a heartbreak to destroy an Hori controller ?
Actually I think there is a pretty consistent supply of them on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/DREAM-STARS-JAPAN
Not anymore... Thay all disappeared.

Also wanted to mention I found 2 more Lazer Doodles , so I will be trying for 2 more "probably" N64 portables with different layouts :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:37 pm

OK I just got finished with a Mario 64 play it till the battery dies session.

On a full charge playing Mario 64 , with expansion pack, unmodified screen, and 5000 maH batteries I got just over 3 hours before the screen turned off.

Not bad at all :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

m_lovitt

Post by m_lovitt » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:15 pm

great job with the case I have seen that same game at flea markets and often wondered if it would make a "comfertable" protable home KUDOS
Tattoos, the only thing I collect that I dont have to pack up when I move.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:37 am

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:10 pm

bacteria wrote:EnGadget
Umm yay !! ....... I guess ??

I love some of the comments from people who obviously didn't even read the thread about it. :roll:

Oh well ... I'm now famous and can no longer talk to the likes of you guys. So this will be my last post....... Just kidding. :P
My Portable Systems:

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:17 pm

hailrazer wrote:Oh well ... I'm now famous and can no longer talk to the likes of you guys. So this will be my last post....... Just kidding. :P
Hey man you earned it - that's one killer portable.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

z4xx0r

This is encouragement to register!

Post by z4xx0r » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:17 pm

I honestly did register after reading about your awesome Darth 64 at http://www.geekologie.com/2008/09/guy_m ... ortabl.php. Another recognition of your hard work! I have wanted to do this for a long time, but I don't know how to attach the batteries... or the smart charger, protection circuit, headphone jack, power charging jack, speakers, or the screen.

Darn, I'll be honest again. I've never made a portable, and my N64 is gathering dust at home. Home. Home.

If you or someone else could explain these concepts thoroughly, or send me in the right direction with a tutorial for the n00biest of n00bs, I would be forever in your debt. Or, I'd reeeeally like it at least. Meh, you know what I mean.

Also, is there a more efficient screen available? I'd be fine with dropping a few more dollars on longer battery life.

Thanks, guys! I'll post when I get my porta-64 going. :D

hailrazer

Re: This is encouragement to register!

Post by hailrazer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:47 am

z4xx0r wrote:I honestly did register after reading about your awesome Darth 64 at http://www.geekologie.com/2008/09/guy_m ... ortabl.php. Another recognition of your hard work! I have wanted to do this for a long time, but I don't know how to attach the batteries... or the smart charger, protection circuit, headphone jack, power charging jack, speakers, or the screen.

Darn, I'll be honest again. I've never made a portable, and my N64 is gathering dust at home. Home. Home.

If you or someone else could explain these concepts thoroughly, or send me in the right direction with a tutorial for the n00biest of n00bs, I would be forever in your debt. Or, I'd reeeeally like it at least. Meh, you know what I mean.

Also, is there a more efficient screen available? I'd be fine with dropping a few more dollars on longer battery life.

Thanks, guys! I'll post when I get my porta-64 going. :D
Really all the information you need is on this forum. The sticky on the top of the N64 page has all the info you need to get going. Just look at other members work logs also , because there is a lot of info in those. I mean it's DIY and reading and learning is most of the fun. It's also how you will get ideas on the type of case you will design.

Also you won't find a much better screen than the PSone screen. You might find a more efficient screen but it won't look as nice color/contrast/brightness. You can LED mod the PSOne screen and it would give you another 30 minutes or so play time with the same batteries.

Or you could just pay another $80 and get bigger batteries that will last another 2-3 hours.

Good luck :)
My Portable Systems: