Introducing the Darth 64....... Youtube Video Added

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:49 pm

Hey Kyo, thanks for the prompt reply and your nudging me into building my own portable from scratch. For full disclosure, I am an 18 year old college freshman without any formal training. However, I hope to have two friends with experience in aspects of creating a portable (one in case design and one in the inner mechanics) that can help guide me through the process. I am planning on doing my homework this entire winter break and using this site's resources to get the procedure down; if everything goes as plans I'll begin work on this around the end of January.

My want of an N64p mostly stems from my love of the console. I've been an avid gamer since a young age, (around the time of the SNES and GB) but gaming didn't become an integral part of my life until the fateful Christmas of 96 when I saw Mario in 3D for the first time. :D

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Kyo - My cases will not be a case of "here it is, pop everything inside" it will be a case of people cutting everything out, as I did, sanding the unit down and painting it. What people are buying are cases that work, based on a step-by-step guide I will make. It will still be a challenge for people, so they will still get a lot of satisfaction from making it; but they know the end result will work. Making the empty case shells are the hard part, as you know.

Dustin - I will be selling my case kits in the next weeks. Lots of work to do, but getting there! :D

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:25 am

I wasn't saying that, bacteria.

Anyway, Dustin, I'm 18 myself and I can't say I had any formal training, it's really not as hard as you expect it to be. Don't worry- you'll be just fine. There are tons of threads on these forums that contain helpful information, and if you have a question we'll be glad to answer it.

robivy64

Post by robivy64 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:43 pm

Mega ballin'

Rhylin

Post by Rhylin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:20 am

hailrazer wrote:
Nurd! wrote:Cool.
Is it easy to hold?

Aren't those controllers like 35 dollars? :P
It's easy to hold but easier for larger hands :)

No the controllers are $50 shipped. :shock:

Here's what I have invested :

N64 --- $15
Psone Lcd --- $20
Hori GamePad --- $50
Li-Poly batteries --- $75
Paint and supplies --- $35
Epoxy/Abs --- $50

Total ------- $240

LOTS OF TIME !!!!!!!!!!!

where did you buy the controller from

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Rhylin wrote:

where did you buy the controller from
Ebay.

They are sold new and only come up every month or so from a Hong Kong seller.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

NesScotland

Post by NesScotland » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:12 am

Hailrazer - Just spotted this just now. Just want to tell you i think it is awesome!!!

I find that a lot of portables are not to my tastes as they look a bit amateurish or something (not knocking all the hard work people put in i just personally prefer the ones that look like they are factory made - which this one does)

Anyway hopefully i havnt annoyed anyone with this, just wanted to say good work mate.

Eddie

Liuhuparta

Post by Liuhuparta » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:25 am

Could you tell me, where did you bought your batteries and the safety circuit? I'm starting to build something similiar to this and I can't find good batteries.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:37 pm

Liuhuparta wrote:Could you tell me, where did you bought your batteries and the safety circuit? I'm starting to build something similiar to this and I can't find good batteries.
www.batteryspace.com
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Rhylin

Post by Rhylin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:01 pm

whats the voltage needed to run a n64

bgnome

Post by bgnome » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:03 pm

hailrazer wrote:
Liuhuparta wrote:Could you tell me, where did you bought your batteries and the safety circuit? I'm starting to build something similiar to this and I can't find good batteries.
www.batteryspace.com
would you mind being more specific? i am having a hard time finding a decent integrated solution, (11.1v, >3Ah, prot. circuit, charger) for a reasonable price.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:32 am

bgnome wrote:
hailrazer wrote:
www.batteryspace.com
would you mind being more specific? i am having a hard time finding a decent integrated solution, (11.1v, >3Ah, prot. circuit, charger) for a reasonable price.
I mentioned it somewhere. Don't have time to hunt it down. Sorry.
My Portable Systems:

Liuhuparta

Post by Liuhuparta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 pm

I have really hard time finding the right batteries for this project. I can't find the ones that you're using ja secondly I would need the power plug for Finland. We use EU plugs here. Right now it looks like I'm sadly not going to use batteries in my project. Help me!

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Dustin wrote:For full disclosure, I am an 18 year old college freshman without any formal training.
Hey, that's exactly how I got started! Tip #1 - get Ben's book. It will teach you all you need to know about the basic electronics necessary for making portables.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

N64freak

Lazer doodle

Post by N64freak » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:16 pm

i was wondering where i could get a lazer doodle
la la la