nes/snes portable - finished page 14

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: nes/snes portable - coming soon!

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 am

Diminuendo wrote:if you mind me asking, how did you do the sholder buttons? can they be removed or are they pernamently stuck in there?
they are not permanently stuck in there. i wanted them to be blue so they haven't been placed yet. as you can see in the above pic of the inside back of the case. ;)
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:34 pm

so how do you get them in or out? I wanna know so I can do it myself

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Diminuendo wrote:so how do you get them in or out? I wanna know so I can do it myself
well, i just put it all together... and then i can take it all out... it's really quite self explanatory. pics describe it better:

the board kinda snaps into place and then doesn't move. to get it out, i have to pry a little screwdriver up under the one side so that it can slide out up over the plastic lip.

and it retains the feeling of an actual snes shoulder button. :)
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:56 pm

If this gets finished how many Duo portables will have been made? I think mine was one of the firsts but I lost track afterward.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:25 am

Rekarp wrote:If this gets finished how many Duo portables will have been made? I think mine was one of the firsts but I lost track afterward.
if? thanks for the vote of confidence there rekarp... :wtf:

and i also have no clue how many were made. yours is the only one i remember. will mine be the first with both slots being parallel with the case? your snes carts were perpendicular, right?

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:32 am

lovablechevy wrote:
Rekarp wrote:If this gets finished how many Duo portables will have been made? I think mine was one of the firsts but I lost track afterward.
if? thanks for the vote of confidence there rekarp... :wtf:

and i also have no clue how many were made. yours is the only one i remember. will mine be the first with both slots being parallel with the case? your snes carts were perpendicular, right?
Perpendicular. Only way I could get everything to fit.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:13 pm

What method do you use when applying decals?

I want to know so I can steal it, lol.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:08 pm

:wtf:

so, i was gonna get this all finished up today. i got to where i only had to mount the charging jack & the headphone jack and then close her up. i decide to flip the power switch just to make sure...

batteries stopped working and snes side stopped working. *sigh* batteries i'm pretty sure i know what's wrong. not a hard fix, just annoying. snes side... no clue. and i'm not looking forward to ripping it all apart to try to figure it out either.

at any rate, here are some pics from today:

AdumUp
360 GamerTag:AdumUp
Steam ID:AdumUp

Post by AdumUp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 am

Wow! This is turning out very well.
Hurry up and finish I'm really excited to see this finally completed :D

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 am

AdumUp wrote:Wow! This is turning out very well.
Hurry up and finish I'm really excited to see this finally completed :D
soon, my friend. soon.

pictureless update:
so, i fixed the batteries (3 of the 4 terminal connections had come loose...) and figured out what was wrong with the snes side. long story short, i had warped the cart slot. so, swapped it with a new one, and all is good again. except 1 game. so, i gotta look back over that... must be 1 loose wire or cold joint or something... *shrugs*

vbs is taking up all my evenings this week. but, as soon as i get time, i will get this baby finished once and for all. :)

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:33 pm

it's all done!!!!

news thread

oh, and for those wondering, this capacitor connected to the power switch IS important.
that is what was not allowing super mario rpg to work. i was nearly at my whits end trying to figure out why it wasn't working. on a whim, i decided to hook that little thing back up that i had heard from many wasn't important. and BOOM! game booted instantly. so, contrary to popular belief, it is a very important thing to have!

krptodr
PSN Username:krptodr

Re: nes/snes portable - finished page 14

Post by krptodr » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 am

WOW! i just read this entire 14 page post and I am inspired and want to give it a try.

This will be my first portable as well.. I then plan to do a gamecube mod..

But I have to ask.. in the end was it worth the effort Chevy? Do you use your portable? Does the system still work great(IE Batteries/Charging)?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:14 am

krptodr wrote:WOW! i just read this entire 14 page post and I am inspired and want to give it a try.

This will be my first portable as well.. I then plan to do a gamecube mod..

But I have to ask.. in the end was it worth the effort Chevy? Do you use your portable? Does the system still work great(IE Batteries/Charging)?
that is a lot of reading to do! cheers to you for going through it all! lol!

please please please please do not use the zn-40 with a retro duo if you plan to keep both sides. it really did just cause me a lot of strife. it's just too dang thin.

of course it was worth it! i haven't used it much yet. but i also only just finished it this past saturday. so 4 days ago. and i do work full time. so i've not had much time to mess around with it. i had to open it back up to fix an led issue, but otherwise, yes, it still all works great. i usually at least play through 3 levels of super mario world a night before going to bed. i still need to have a marathon session to measure battery life.

Hifeno

Post by Hifeno » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:22 pm

Maniac Mansion was my favorite NES game when I was a kid.

This is awesome.
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;