nes/snes portable - finished page 14

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: nes/snes portable - dead - see page 11

Post by bacteria » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Kurt_ wrote:I have to laugh at that. It's just funny. This is why you always use protection, people!
Nothing funny about seeing her system go up in smoke. Don't be so cruel.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Don't be so law-enforcey.
Hey, sup?

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:44 pm

Kurt_ wrote:This is why you always use protection, people!
Yep don't be spreading those STDs (Super Thermal Destruction) Lithium Batteries.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Wow, that's pretty funny. You had me for a second.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Damn, I'm still bummed this happened to you. I was thinking about using Li-po's in an upcoming project, but I kinda want to just stick with my NiMH now. Maybe even my alkaline rechargables. They're rated at 2500 mAh.

Glad you weren't there when it happened. That could have been really catastrophic.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Erlex
Steam ID:Pelican417

Post by Erlex » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 pm

Wow, joke or not you really freaked me out. Now I am afraid if I even look at my cheap chinese Li-poly batteries the wrong way they will explode. I have a protection circuit, but is this something that I should seriously be concerned about?

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:28 pm

thanks for the kind words from most of you. i'm just so glad that it waited to do it till i had it where it was. i had it stored in a closet before then, surrounded by all my other project stuff. that would have been a much worse outcome. also very glad i didn't have my computer anywhere near it.

it's just so discouraging. i finally had it all figured out how to finish it and was totally motivated. and now this. :(

*sigh...*

bacteria: i actually wasn't in the same room when it happened. i was in my kitchen cooking, and the handyduo was in my guest room upstairs. i'm not sure what it looked or sounded like. i was blasting some music at the time. i just smelled something not right and started searching for where it was coming from.

kurt: it's rather hurtful of you to say that this makes you laugh. i have lost a lot of money, time, and hard work due to this. i did do everything correctly for preventing this from happening. i don't know what happened. maybe something was faulty.

sorry it took me a while to reply. i just haven't had the desire to get on the forums much today. hopefully at some point i'll get the courage and desire again to finish one of my other projects.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Erlex

Post by Erlex » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:39 pm

lovablechevy wrote:kurt: it's rather hurtful of you to say that this makes you laugh.
I am sure he dint mean anything by it. I think everyone is just a little shocked. I mean, something like this doesn't happen very often, and it's extremely unfortunate that something like this should happen to you. You sure dint deserve it.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Oh, so it actually did happen? Sorry, I don't trust anything anyone says on April 1st.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:27 am

I must admit, probably for unfounded reasons, but I am hesitant to go Li-po route as you tend to buy them separately buy a protection circuit. With Li-ions, they are attached to the battery in question as a small board, so if using them, you just relocate the batteries. You know the protection circuit is designed for the job as they are provided with the cells. Also, like with some recent laptops, their Li-po's exploded, and the laptops were recalled. Due to this uncertainty, I have been staying with the Li-ion round cells. I haven't heard of camcorders exploding when being recharged, which is my logic.

Is this inaccurate or unfair to Li-po's - are Li-po's as stable as Li-ions or are they not? Which is more likely to explode (if you are unlucky)?

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:13 am

Li-Po batteries are actually LESS likely to explode. Usually they blow up because stupid people plug them into ni-cd chargers and stuff like that. And Li-ion cells don't always come with protection circuits.

Most of the Lipo batteries you use (sadly I haven't used one yet) are originally for model airplanes. They have no protection. Protection is provided by the motor controller (overdischarge) and by the charger (overcharge). Most newish packs need a balancer as well (balance and additional overcharge).

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:55 am

Oh no chevy! That's terrible! The case was so perfect, too. I don't even want to imagine how angry and frustrated I would be if one of my projects blew up, especially one that had as much bondo work as yours.

Thank God you're okay - imagine if you had been working on it at the time.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Erlex

Post by Erlex » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:49 am

Life of Brian wrote:Thank God you're okay - imagine if you had been working on it at the time.
Yeah no kidding.
http://www.rcstuff.us/battery/lipo/lipo_DNA.html

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:55 am

Wow, I guess when I start working with my batteries it will probably be in my carport, far away from the rest of my stuff....

/agree with Brian, that could have been very bad if you were tinkering when they went off....
There is no black or white but rather a million shades of gray...

HBN

Post by HBN » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Holy mother of copulate... I can't imagine this. Sure, I've had my problems, as we all know. And as we all have at one point or another. I just don't know what to say, Chev. At least you weren't working on it, like LoB said. If you need to talk, you know how to get a hole of me. I'm usually on this brick (Referring to my laptop) most of the day. Hell, check your PM's next chance you get. Theres something in there for you if you want to make use of it.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!