nes/snes retro duo! pics, review, hacking info 7/27/10

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

pixelbomb

Post by pixelbomb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:49 pm

Hey Joel Schmidt,

wow you bought 3 retros at once? 79.99@ slackers thats insane lol. Which play n trade store did you get the retros from? the one i got mine from told me that innex is actually sold out of the retros right now and will be 2-3 weeks till they get more in for stores...i need to get 2 for my friend and his girlfriend haha, thanks

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:53 pm

pixelbomb wrote:i need to get 2 for my friend and his girlfriend haha, thanks
just do a search on the net for one. i was able to find one for $44 shipped. look at all places like ebay, amazon, half.com, etc... just look around! most stores will probably be sold out at the moment.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

pixelbomb

Post by pixelbomb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi LovableChevy,

Thanks , i might just do that. I just like to support the local game stores , for some reason hehe. with that said, all 3 Stores around here are all sold out and back ordered...

thers a new review up on youtube about the retro duo.. dont know if its anyone that posted here ,but found it interesting and pretty good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xZBN5c7V2G4

Joel Schmidt

Post by Joel Schmidt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Life of Brian wrote:
Joel Schmidt wrote:Incidentally, for anyone wanting a good laugh today. The company Slackers has decided to sell the Retro Duo for $79.99 and is telling customers they should make reservations as it is an extremely rare system and sells out almost immediately. :shock: :lol: :roll:
Yikes! What a ripoff!

I really do want a Retro Duo now. If I ever come across one cheaply enough I'll snap that sucker up and have it built into a portable in no time...
That's Slackers for you. They believe in the "older systems and games should be sold for more because of the laws of supply and demand" rule. a good example is Mega Man X2. They are selling it for $70 at one of their stores.... yet I've seen it on ebay for $30-50.

As for a Retro Duo... well PnT here is selling them for $44.99. There IS a 20% discount card too.... it is supposed to be used in person, but maybe I could convince the owner to apply it for you. At the very least (if and when he gets more), it'd probably cover the cost of shipping.
pixelbomb wrote:Hey Joel Schmidt,

wow you bought 3 retros at once? 79.99@ slackers thats insane lol. Which play n trade store did you get the retros from? the one i got mine from told me that innex is actually sold out of the retros right now and will be 2-3 weeks till they get more in for stores...i need to get 2 for my friend and his girlfriend haha, thanks
I didn't buy them.... I have a FC Dual and aside from the case design, is almost the exact same thing as the Retro Duo. The store owner left them sealed and in the back room until I could get up there. I was the only one that even knew they had come in... not even the other employee knew yet. So I can personally vouch that they had not been used prior to my testing of Battletoads. I think they only have one right now and that one is mine :) an employee bought one after I finished and the owner has purchased one for use as a permanent display/test unit.

PS: anyone want to help me come up with an ad to promote Play N Trade's prices versus Slackers? :twisted:
Last edited by Joel Schmidt on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Joel Schmidt

Post by Joel Schmidt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:02 pm

pixelbomb

Post by pixelbomb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:03 pm

i guess theyre out too then , i was about to ask if they shared inventory with other play n trades and could bring one to cali. thats a good price though, they charge 49.99 here,

but nothing beats 79.99 LOL

i could stand outside that store and sell them for 69.99

Joel Schmidt

Post by Joel Schmidt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:13 pm

pixelbomb wrote:i guess theyre out too then , i was about to ask if they shared inventory with other play n trades and could bring one to cali. thats a good price though, they charge 49.99 here,

but nothing beats 79.99 LOL

i could stand outside that store and sell them for 69.99
hehehe :P Go for it. I've been "accidentally" leaving 20% off discount cards in "random" spots at some of the Slackers stores ;)

Honestly, I have no clue how many he tried to order. We were getting rather fed up with Innex. They kept claiming the order had been sent and even sent a FedEx tracking number that later turned out to be bogus (for two days it said it had been shipped but then suddenly came up as invalid).

pixelbomb

Post by pixelbomb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:28 pm

yikes.. that sucks.. sounds a bit like a shipping problem more than anything though if the packaged tracked at first and then didnt.
the pnt stores i talked to around here all raved about their service, so i guess it varies.

DukeNukenFourEver

Post by DukeNukenFourEver » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:13 am

I'm just gunna buy a white system to go with my black controllers. If this one breaks down on me I'll just cling to my Twin for life, since that will make it the only clone to work out for me decently.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:16 am

DukeNukenFourEver wrote:I'm just gunna buy a white system to go with my black controllers. If this one breaks down on me I'll just cling to my Twin for life, since that will make it the only clone to work out for me decently.
sorry! i just realized i never said anything in reference to your pictures! i can't see anything that is wrong with it. at least not that would be wrong with the nes side. there does look like a weird blob on one of the snes chips, but you said that side works great... *shrugs*

i really hope the next one works out better for you!
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 am

I ordered my Retro Duo yesterday :D

$43 shipped! Woohoo!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 am

Life of Brian wrote:I ordered my Retro Duo yesterday :D

$43 shipped! Woohoo!
oh no! i better hurry up and finish mine...

which color did you get? and where did you order from? are you just planning on ripping it apart for a portable? and will it be a dual portable or just another snes...?

*gets excited to see someone else mod retroduo* :lol:

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 pm

So many questions! I wanted the red and black one, but they cost more from the same seller! I got it off of Amazon. I haven't decided if I'll tackle a dual portable first or not.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:03 pm

I don't know if anyone here has seen this yet, but it wouldn't hurt to include it: Digital Press forums Retro Duo information

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:25 am

thanks for posting that link, LoB! i don't know why i didn't think to do that... i gave them this link... oh well!

so i finally got battletoads in the mail last night. didn't have time to test it yet. but, the game looked pretty dirty. so, i'll clean it up real nice and test it out tonight. see if i can settle this score of it working or not. 8)