nes/snes retro duo! pics, review, hacking info 7/27/10

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:44 am

i got my fc twin and paperboy in the mail last night.

paperboy has the same issues on the retro duo as it does on all other clone hardware. it loads fine, but it does not recognize the controller. the only thing i could get it to recognize was the start and select buttons on controller 2. i wonder what it is about this game that makes it not work? i tried it on the super 8 also, and it did not work there either. does anyone have any theories?

the fc twin with the yobo jewel worked on all my nes games but gauntlet (unlicensed) and paperboy. the only two snes games i tried worked, and they were star fox and super mario rpg.

it's odd to me how very different the fc twin can be from console to console.

i've been sick the past few days, so that has set me back in some things. this weekend i really do hope to measure the draw with my multimeter.

DukeNukenFourEver

Post by DukeNukenFourEver » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:10 am

Maybe people just don't clean their carts properly? They just used to blow in them and now it's all so mixed and varied...

Before I ever play a cart in my FC Twin I make sure to clean it with a q tip and rubbing alcohol ... You can only imagine how much black gunk comes up and I have to use more q tips until it's clean...

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:57 am

DukeNukenFourEver wrote:Maybe people just don't clean their carts properly? They just used to blow in them and now it's all so mixed and varied...

Before I ever play a cart in my FC Twin I make sure to clean it with a q tip and rubbing alcohol ... You can only imagine how much black gunk comes up and I have to use more q tips until it's clean...
that cannot be the reason that paperboy functions this way. especially since a lot of people do clean their carts. i made sure to clean each one before i've tested it. but paperboy has been proven to not work in ANY clone hardware. it will boot, but the controls won't function.

i just found a clone console that paperboy works in. it works on the gn twin.

DukeNukenFourEver

Post by DukeNukenFourEver » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:16 pm

I was talking more about Mario RPG and the likes, but yes, Paperboy is in a league of it's freaking own.

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:27 pm

tried Battletoads today. It freezes towards the end of the second stage.

Joel Schmidt

Post by Joel Schmidt » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:15 pm

nickerous wrote:tried Battletoads today. It freezes towards the end of the second stage.
You neglect to state what system you tried it on. I had already posted that Battletoads freezes on virtually all Famiclones, the only known exception being Yobo's original FC Console. The request was for how it works with the Retro Duo.

As for why certain FC Twins will play some games that others will not, the only thing I can think of is model revisions.

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:52 pm

*looks at topic with the retro duo name*
*looks at post asking how Battletoads plays on said retro duo*
*looks at post stating how Battletoads plays on other famiclones*
*looks at post RE-stating how Battletoads plays on other famiclones and asking again how Battletoads plays on said retro duo which the thread is about*

I tested it on the retro duo.

DukeNukenFourEver

Post by DukeNukenFourEver » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:50 pm

nickerous wrote:I tested it on the retro duo.
Fixed your post. Got to the point, etc.

Also, let's just make our own clone that works with all games.

lovablechevy

Post by lovablechevy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:58 pm

if there is anybody with a retro duo who would like to send me their compatibility lists with the games they own, i will update the list. just pm me with the info if you want! thanks, guys!

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:59 pm

Joel Schmidt wrote:
nickerous wrote:tried Battletoads today. It freezes towards the end of the second stage.
You neglect to state what system you tried it on. I had already posted that Battletoads freezes on virtually all Famiclones, the only known exception being Yobo's original FC Console. The request was for how it works with the Retro Duo.

As for why certain FC Twins will play some games that others will not, the only thing I can think of is model revisions.
well, there seems to be a general consensus that the original FC Twin with no Yobo branding is REV 0 and the newer ones with the Yobo Jewel and Yobo branding on the box is REV 1 since the compatibility claims seem to be consistent for each model. I have heard more than once that mario RPG works with the jeweled model and not with the original. Also, I can confirm that the jeweled model does not have blurring or color muting and the sky in star fox is blue like it should be. The only real advantage of the Retro Duo over the FC Twin at this point seems to be the ability to play Castlevania III and ?Gauntlet? (I'm guessing since the incompatibility stems from the same place). So, I still wouldn't say avoid the FC Twin if you get a good price and don't care about Castlevania III since the Retro Duo tends to cost $10-$15 more.

Ace_1

Post by Ace_1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:14 am

Not to mention that NES audio is MUCH more accurate than the old model, albeit with the triangle and noise channels being too quiet on some games.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:21 am

Of course the 2 boards as opposed to three boards is something else to take into consideration. For simplicity's sake I'd like to work with the Retro Duo if I can find it cheap.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Joel Schmidt

Post by Joel Schmidt » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:45 pm

This conflicts with the email I received from VideoGameCentral.com today, stating that the Retro Duo plays Battletoads with no troubles.
email from videogamecentral wrote: On Mar 5, 2008, at 8:56 AM, VideoGameCentral wrote:

Joel,

When we tested it here, it worked fine. If it freezes it may be because your game was dirty or the cart was loose/bad connection.

We can't guarantee the performance of the Retro Duo with games that are not ours.

Thanks
VGC Game Staff

Joel Schmidt <joelschmidt> wrote:
I'm hearing reports that Battletoads locks up randomly in the second level on the Retro Duo. This conflicts with your statement that the game works fine on the Retro Duo. Can someone there confirm or deny this issue?
Last edited by Joel Schmidt on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:43 pm

Life of Brian wrote:Of course the 2 boards as opposed to three boards is something else to take into consideration. For simplicity's sake I'd like to work with the Retro Duo if I can find it cheap.
on, well sure enough, I was just defending the FC Twin as a console, not a handheld donor.

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Tried Battletoads again just now. Froze again on the second stage, but not in the same place. This time it was just after the first robot. Last time, it was after the second electrical barriers.