PlayMad finished! (page 7)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

G-force

Post by G-force » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:14 am

Arg. :( Tested the system today, and turn out one of the speakers is busted, and the other might not be too far away from dead either. So I need to ask my fellow forum members; does anybody have a pair of speakers from a Hip Gear controller LCD screen that they would sell? Please ship with cardboard or something hard covering the speakers, so the cones don't get mashed. PM me, email, or post here. If you can do this, you'll be my favorite person! I really need 'em.

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:48 am

Dude, I seriously would, but I need them for my portable. Plus, the shipping costs would be huge :(
Sorry bro, all I can offer is moral support!
Someone give him some! I want this portable to be finished :P

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:18 am

Can I first say that your case is looking über awesome? This is the best bondo work I've seen so far :P

As for the speakers, can't you use other speakers. I have a lot, maybe if you gave me the diameter I could search for some.

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:46 am

Gamelver wrote:Wow....Sony, with all its resources, could not have done better :D!

You truly are the Bondo King of Benheck. I'm using bondo for my latest portable, and paint and all that, but I still can't get it to look that good!

Of course, I don't have that nice putty Bondo, but still :P...

I can't wait to see this finished, G-force :D
Just as I can't wait to see how your project is coming! ;)
The only thing I do to make my projects look nice its lots and lots of meticulous sanding and attention to detail. Thats it really. And get the putty already! Everyone is making the switch, be cool, try it out! :P Seriously, its nice stuff.

UPDATE:

It looks like segasonicfan will be sending me some free speakers! Thanks man, I owe you one! It's guys like this that make the modding community the great thing that it is. He's taking the time and effort to ship something on his own time, just to help out another fellow modder. Very cool.

So I keep hearing this project being compared to the Palm Psone, so i thought I'd take another look at it, and I noticed something. No batteries. It's not portable, that I can see. :| In the inside picture, no battery, and there is no mention of a battery anywhere. It's one heck of an awesome case, and great job overall, but to not include batterys is kinda sad. Anybody got more info on this?

DK

Post by DK » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:02 am

I think he made an external battery pack, much like he did on the SuperNES2Go.

" I used the same heat sink the Super NES 2 came with. I just had it cut down to the right shape. Even this smaller heat sink adequately dissipated the heat. No vents were required. The external pocket sized battery pack I built (not pictured) uses ten AA rechargeables and provides a good five hours of playtime. "

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Great, nice one segasonicfan. Can't wait to see this done.

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:11 am

Any more progress G? It's been ages, and I want to admire the project some more :P

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:53 am

Yeah, is there anything else coming?

pfan

G-Force is nearing completion!!!!!

Post by pfan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:04 pm

Heey all, wanted to let you know that I just spoke with G-Force and he is nearly finished with the portable!!! Expect an update soon (in the next few days).

Secondly, I just would like to personally thank G-Force for the incredible amount of effort he's put into making this portable. Why would I do such a thing? Because.....he's been building it for ME!!!! mwahahahahaha!!!!

We started this journey over 5 months ago, and I've watched this thing evolve every step of the way. This is *hands down* the best portable G-Force has ever conceived (IMHO), and (again, IMHO) is superior (in some ways) to all of Ben's PSoneP's.

The final features lineup are as follows:

--PSone screen displays in RGB mode for highest-quality image output
--PSone screen also utilizes Ben's birghtness mod
--1 memory card port
--2nd player controller port
--Composite video output
--CD drive sensor switch (for bootdisc import/"backup" swapping--there was originally going to be an internal modchip, but he ran into complications with it)
--Headphone jack (of course) :P
--AC (wall power) plug
--Full analog support (no dual-shock support, though--we worried about the rumbling damaging the internals of the system)
--The Play Boy (Playstation + Gameboy = Play Boy) name has officially been changed to the "Play-Mad" (Playstation + Sega Nomad = Play-Mad...the reason for the name change was due to the portable's similarities in design and feature set to the Sega Nomad)

So....yah, that's it..expect an official update from G-Force SOON!!!!
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:06 am

Cool, also G-Force how did you do your headphone jack?

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:12 pm

*wakes up after a late night of hot gluing and soldering*

Well, it's almost done. Everything is together and (sorta) working! But I may have spoken too soon, since it's got a few bugs I need to work out.

-When operating on batterys the screen backlight goes out whenever the CD drive starts up. :? I'm hoping just putting an electrolytic capacitor to the power line on the screen, or the 7805 on the screen will make this stop. Any ideas on this guys?

-Screw holding the drive in place is in the way of the sliding laser. I found this only happened on one game, none of the others ever hit, so I never noticed. I just need to sink the screw, but to do that I have to take the whole thing apart again. :(

-The connectors going to the screen are loose. The red of the RGB keeps coming loose. Need to bend it or something.
-The memory card port is a little loose. Epoxy instead of hotglue should fix that.

-some hot glue got into the analog stick casing, making it none too smooth at certain points. I was really careful not to let that happen, and it still did. Drat.

-Need to make Play-Mad stickers! :)

-The brightness down button is not working, must have come loose during packing. Which means the whole screen has to come out to resolder one or two wires. Drat again.

I spent the entire day yesterday on this, from 4PM to 6AM. Today is my day off work, so I'm done working on it for now. Yes, I'm a little annoyed. Everything that could go wrong with this, has. Here's a list, just for fun :P

-The broken speaker conundrum! The speakers from segasonicfan didn't arrive yet, for some reason there was some confusion about shipping. But it happened that I bought a hip gear screen recently, and it showed up pretty fast. So i just opened it up and stole the speakers from that. I'm still hoping to get those speakers though, since now the hip gear screen has none.

-RGB wasn't working. Nothing was showing up on the screen. At first I realized i had forgotten the sync wire. still nothing. I messed and messed with it, still nothing. Then finally I saw that the sync wire was off one pin. :P Because the other pin had been covered with wires, it had tricked me when i was counting over. I moved it over one pin, and it worked.

-The controller used an analog stick casing as a part of a circuit, and I didn't realize that. so I spent hours resoldering things trying to find why the analog stick was going up and down, up and down. Took me a couple days of messing around to finally notice that tiny little detail.

-The rewired backlight circuit EXPLODED. They apparently made the connector to the fluorescent light so that it could go in BACKWARDS. So of course, thats what happened, and when i plugged it in I got to see a nice light and smoke show (went great with the music in the background, would have been cool if not for the horror of it all). Luckily, I had just gotten a new screen in the mail, and I just stole all the parts off of it. I can still use the screen I stole parts off, it will just have to be LED modded.

-had to trim down all the boards to get them to fit. Screen, mother board. Controller boards, and a little nip off the controller board. This thing is the tightest fit. It's nuts.

-The paint, but we already went over that. No more glossy paint for me. Ever.

-Lost the analog button, and had to buy a new controller for it, out of pocket. And the store was way over charging too! :P

-Some of the screen tact switches I was using to replace the old ones didn't work. I got them off junk electronics, so I had to sort through them to find ones that worked.

There was LOTS of other things, but I've forgotten them. Essentially, this is the hardest build for me yet. But it's also the coolest.

Need to find a proper way to post pics.... Photobucket keeps dropping pics like flies in an oven. Any recommendations, or am I stuck upgrading to pro on photobucket?

Cool, also G-Force how did you do your headphone jack?
I just extended the normal headphone jack from it's normal place on the circuit board. Pretty simple that way.

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Do you reckon you could show a diagram.

Use imageshack to upload. Never drops images for me.

pfan

Post by pfan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:30 pm

Last edited by pfan on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:50 pm

pfan wrote:waffleimages.com is easy and hassle-free..
Except that they don't allow linking. :P

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Awesome! I rather like how the paint came out, even if it took so much effort.