PlayMad finished! (page 7)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

G-force

Post by G-force » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Working on the back of the case this time.

I don't know if you ever noticed, but the newer playstation controllers have large R2 and L2 buttons. Nice for a controller, but not so much for a portable where handgrip space is limited. The old ones, the kind with no analog sticks, have smaller R2 and L2 buttons. So I bought one of those from a pawn shop, the guy charged me way too much ($5) but oh well.

Dremeled the plastic off the controller, then sanded them flat.

Then I cut holes in back case for them. The first time, I cut the holes too high, and it wasn't as comfy as I thought it would be. :( luckily I had another back-half for the case due to the case screw-up, and I got it right the second time! No pic, but you can see the cutouts in the lower pics.

I wanted to see the battery pack on it. The holder is made of two 3AA holder's, which I will wire in series later. They had two holes on each holder for putting screws through, so I put them on the case, then marked through the holes, drilled though the marks, then screwed them onto the case.
Nice. That'll work.

These steps are kinda unorganizd, but this is how I did it :P Anyways, I glued the R1,2,L1,2 button plastic on the back.

So I needed to mount that laser drive! It took me a while to figure out how to do it nicely. First I needed to get rid of the excess plastic on the drive.
So I took the grey plastic cover off:

Then dremeled.

Before:
After:

There were these little screw post looking things, three of them, so I drilled through them and stuck a screw through. I also cut places for the laser cables to go through.

Then I drilled holes in the case to match the screws. I used extra nuts to add more height to it.

The CD will spin slightly above the battery holder.

Thats where I'm at right now. Still more to do, but thats a lot of it. I plan to put the memory card holder in the empty space next to the CD laser.

The power and CD lid switches will be put above the R1,2,L1,2 buttons.

Oh yeah, I sanded the spot putty. Needs another layer still.

More to come! :D

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:42 pm

Looking even better. I want to talk to you about this.

Contact me:

AIM: Rellizate
MSN: meltdown10@hotmail.co.uk

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Nice case.

I ordered one Tuesday and it came in today.

It's going to make a nice Snes/Nes Fami Twin portable methinks. :lol:

Thanks for the find :)

And I like your work so far. Very professional.

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:49 am

what color is this baby gonna be painted?

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:35 am

how much are you selling this thing for?

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:10 pm

@ hailraizer: It's a nice case. A little tricky, since it's not a simple shape, but it's decent. Good luck on the portable! looking forward to it.

@shmagoogin77: Gloss black. It may or may not resemble a PSP when it's finished.

@dudex77: The client payed for the parts ($90), and is then paying me for the work ($130-ish).
I end up getting payed about minimum wage when it comes down to it, but it's fun, so it's worth it.
Also, this thing has been majorly delayed due to life in general, and the client has been very good about the delay. I had warned about how school would slow this down, but it was worse than I had thought. I'm hoping to get it done very soon here.

pfan

Post by pfan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:32 pm

any new updates?? =)
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:31 am

Yep! :)

After adding another layer of spot putty and then sanding it down, the rest of the case was sanded with 320 grit sandpaper.

I also glued/bondoed the bottom screw posts from the Ps1 LCD screen casing onto the case for added screen support. Just in case hot glue doesnt work to well.

The case was then washed with water and dried. Meanwhile I shook up the can of automotive primer/filler (made by dupli-color). The stuff is nice. It goes on thick so it will fill all those hairline scratches, and then you can just sand it down.

First primer coat:
Another pic in the sunlight. (this makes the primer look grey, when it is in fact black. Go figure, it looked better under fake light :| )

The back half of the case is going to get some attention from the can of primer as soon as the bondo dries and is sanded.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:24 am

wow what a beast next time you post pics have one with you holding it so i can see the relative size of it and where are the memory cards going?

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:31 pm

How did I miss this?! Freakin amazing work man, keep it up I want to see it finished

pfan

Post by pfan » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 pm

dudex77 wrote:wow what a beast next time you post pics have one with you holding it so i can see the relative size of it and where are the memory cards going?
Hey, I did some sleuthing through g-force's photobucket pics and came across this:

Hope that's what you were looking for ^_^

EDiT: Would Jones or Ben mid stickying this thread? I think it's definitely sticky-worthy. =)
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:59 pm

NICE!

I can't wait to see this one finished!
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:09 am

Thanks guys! Its coming along real nice now, should be finished at the end of the month. 8)

More work on the back this time. I put marine putty on the button casing to help them meld into the case better, and feel smoother. Also put some in the slight hole depressions that were on the case. Then after dremeling most of it off, I sanded it with very course 60 grade sandpaper. Then once it was close I switched to 120 grade sandpaper.

Then I needed to cut out holes for two switches, the ones that would be used for the CD lid and power (Got them from radio shack, two in a pack for a few bucks.) I started by drilling two holes with a dremel, then cutting out the plastic inbetween.
I also had to flatten a slight bump in the case with my mighty dremel. The bump died.

I used a utility knife to get the rectangular shape I needed for the switches. But I kinda overcut in a few places since the plastic is really soft. So I used spot putty to fill in the tiny bits.

I waited for it to dry over night, then cut/sanded the excess putty off. I also sanded the rest of the putty on the button casing.

Then it was all sanded with smooth 320 grit sandpaper. After washing and drying, a coat of primer was put on.

I'm too tired to think of what I have to do next. Most likely it involves a lot of sanding, painting, soldering, hotglueing, etc. More to come tomorrow!

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:15 am

Wow, that's amazing.
!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:57 am

Rellizate wrote:Wow, that's amazing.
!
What he said. The paint looks cool, and you can't even tell it was bondo'd.