Few questions about Famiclones

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

rexdragoon
Few questions about Famiclones

Post by rexdragoon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am

Hi All!
Well after lurking here for awhile, I've decided to start my own project, and what better place to start, than with the NES, what with all the cheap clones lying around.

Now, I love using actual cartridges, however, NES cartridges ARE rather notoriously bulky, and well inconvenient to take on the go. My idea was to use on of those Famiclones that are advertised as having tonnes of games built in, primarily those "Super Mecha Fun Joy Joy" things that are built into N64-type controllers. I've seen pictures of the motherboards on these things, and they seem to be the smallest of all famiclones, so I would assume they wouldn't draw very much power.

1)Assuming I pair one of these with a smallish LCD screen, say, 3 inches or so, would I be able to get somewhat good battery life off of maybe a couple of these?

Now as I said, the built in games are part of the draw of these units, but I began to wonder how in fact, this is implemented.

2)Is it possible, assuming I have access (which I do/can get) to some sort of ROM burner, to customize the games included? Or is this some, weird proprietary interface?

this brings me to my next question...

3)With the fact that the NES has been notoriously difficult to create a universal flash cart for, due to the abundance of different mappers, how do such systems handle this? Given the fact they are cheap knock-offs, my gut-feeling is that they simply only used games that didn't require a mapper and/or cloned one of the simpler ones like MMC1 or something, and stuck to stuff for that, however, you know never know.

Now, I know technically illegal electronics aren't known for quality so assuming the compatibility/quality is too low on one of these systems...

4)Could I adapt the "multi-ROM" to work with another famiclone? I'm guessing they're probably just clones themselves of older multi Pirate carts, but once again, there have been stranger occurences ...

And lastly...

5)Does anyone have any definitive data on what is the Famiclone with the smallest PCB and/or lowest power draw?

I hope I'm not forgetting anything, or that my questions are too n00bish/asked too much...
Anyway, thanks in advance!

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Re: Few questions about Famiclones

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:35 pm

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's the only flash cart for the NES that I know of.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"