Metallica Man's Comission Projekt!

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: Metallica Man's Comission Projekt!

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:05 pm

All righty then! Progress!!! Finally got life out of the way to get something done haha.

I'm guessing the last board was bad...as all I got out of was this:

Fortunately, the new board works great! :)

Got the lockout chip disabled, the RF box removed, the Expansion Slot removed....even got new cart slot action rolling!
Too bad my camera died before I could take a pic of it working before I put it all away for safe storage lol.

Rest assured, it does work ;) I even got to hear the faux stereo sound...and adjusted it a bit too....sounds pretty neat actually lol.

The pots I used for the stereo mod are adjustable only by a small regular screwdriver, so while it's adjusted to my liking, I can set it up so the customer can adjust it to his own liking after he gets it 8)

So with the guts now working, it's time to work on the case!

Workspace was a bit cramped tho...had to work in the shed as all the wood working tools were in there....the garage space being used and abused for the mustang restoration projekt...

The two peices of wood for the case, one for each half ot he unit. Fun fact! These both were molds for previous projekts lol.

Check out that mighty fine angle right there...100% Toaster NES accurate (aligned the saw blade to a toaster case lol).

And there they are....both case halves after a crapload of sanding (my hands hurt)

Next step is to break out my vacuum forming gear...stay tuned! ;)
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Lookin' great! Can't wait 'till it's done!!

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Isn't it, uh how should I put this...

A LITTLE TOO THICK? lol.

Should be good though.

I am going to try to replace my LED modded PSone LCD screen with 5mm LED's at 30000mcd, instead of the stupid 3mm ones in there now at 13000mcd.

mcd means millicandela, and I think you can convert it to lumen's...

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:29 am

Trust me, there's a good reason why those case halves are thick ;)
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm

And the progress continues! woot!

Got the case halves pulled today.....need more sanding to do still, but things look all right!

So here we go!

Got the old vac table fired up and ready to go...tho I ran out of my usual insulating padding, I found a tightly wrapped plastic bag works just as well.

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying proper attention for the first job...and wound up with this monster lol. Believe it or not, it actually makes for a good hat :lol:

No problem tho, as I have plenty of plastic (that particular piece being a left-over from a previous projekt). The next portions pulled nicely without too many troubles.

Then came the cutting down of the parts....the reason for the molds being thicker was to allow plenty of breathing room for when I cut it down. Better to have too much than not enough.

And our parting shot....
Stuffed the guts into the case's bottom half to show how the goodies will fit in there. Everything except for the controller parts are in the case right now, but there's plenty of room for that stuff to fit when it's all assembled.

Getting closer to finishing up the case itself...the next step is to find some paint that matches the original NES colors. The plan is to have the top and bottom halves each be a different color--the same as the original toaster NES.

If anyone knows of any paints that at least come close to the original NES colors, let me know asap so I can get some!

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:33 am

Metallica Man X wrote:there's plenty of room for that stuff to fit when it's all assembled
Of course there is :P

Going good! Hope to see it finished.

For the 'hat', did you have the vacuum on reverse?

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:58 am

Naw, I just left it in the oven too long :lol:

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:04 pm

...and Progress continues! 8) ..makin good time XD

So this day, I commenced to the long and arduous process of making the holes in the case front.

I 'expertly' lined up all my spots to make sure things were centered...and by expertly, I just used a ruler XD

After too much time, I got the screen hole cut and filed to perfection...

And some time later, I got all the button holes cut and filed as well...

With the holes for the screen and controls cut, I can clearly see exactly how much plastic I still need to remove from the egde, so that'll be a nice, easy cut when I get to it.

...still need to make a spot for the speaker, but I haven't decided on how I want the speaker hole to look lol. I'll figure that out soon enough I guess.

I'm still looking for paint. As lame as it is, the local hardware store doesn't carry enough paint variety, so I'm being forced to make a trip to a far more distant place in search of the right colors....

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:39 am

After a rather eventful weekend..it's back to work.

Still no luck finding the right paint for it yet, but I'm going on a trip this weekend to get some exact colors ;)

In the meantime, a minor update:

Just put the two button portions of the controller boards together. Nothing fancy, but an important part just the same lol.

As soon as I locate a stack of the right resistors, I'll set up the main controller board using an original controller chip :)

I do have that clonetroller sitting there, but I opted to work with original hardware, since I can cut that down much smaller than that clone board (it's an early Yobo controller, which as a very convoluted double glop-top setup :? )

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:45 pm

Mmmkay, some more update action!

Got the cart hole cut out of the bottom of the case...Also drilled the holes for the mounting bolts.

A shot with the guts inserted....

Also, I decided to hook up my other guts to make sure they still worked lol
Notice the new cart connector and wiring setup.

Also modified the controller ports. I shaved the rears off as space is somewhat limited where I'm placing them haha.

Still lacking in the paint department though...On my trip over the weekend, I managed to locate a paint that was darn near exact for the top of the case, but I'm still unable to find a paint that matches the bottom half :(

The projekt inches ever closer to completion...only thing that's really holding it back right now is the lack of bottom paint :wtf:

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Still more progress!!!!

Well, I got the holes for the controller ports cut out...the plastic is a little thin around them now, but I plan on adding some additional supports in there to make them super solid.

Then to the backside....got the holes drilled for the A/V, external power input and headphone jacks....as well as two holes for the left/right faux stereo adjustors.

Lastly, all but finished the case front. All that's left now is to shave it down to the right thickness :)

Still searching for paint...haven't found anything yet, but I have some ideas on how to fake it lol.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:33 pm

And the updates continue...

I found that one of the caps on the screen was getting in the way, so I heated that little guy up and extended it out a bit...

Next on the list was back to the case. After doing some stress tests on it, I found that the case bottom may not be rugged enough for this cases needs, so I decided to add some additional support to it. It probably doesn't need it, but better safe than sorry...at least it still looks good :lol:

And our parting shot...showing what will be the final positions for the external power, A/V plugs, and the headphone jack, as well as where the cart connector nuts and bolts.

That's all for now. Hopefully tomorrow will bring the final peice of the puzzle, the needed 47k resistors for the controller lol.

I was hoping to have this done this week. But, as always with the law of portables (take the amount of time you think you can do it in, then triple it), it's not quite getting done within the week lol.

Especially since it still needs to be painted, which'll take at least 2 days (gotta let the paint dry fully you know).

Ah well, at least it's close :lol:

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Not bad! Can't wait 'til it's done!

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:41 pm

That case looks fantastic so far man, great work on it!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Haunted360

Post by Haunted360 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:28 am

Not bad at all.

WHY U NO USE WINDOWS 7? :mrgreen: