NES video problems.

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

TSX420J
NES video problems.

Post by TSX420J » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:23 pm

I did a couple searches but none came up for my problem. I saw some other video glitches but my experience is different. I bought a broken nes at a local flea market for 5 dollars. When I brought it home I tested a working game to see what it would do. It powered up but the power light was flashing. I took it apart and saw that the the connector slot and pins on the mobo were pretty corroded. I cleaned them up and used a very good and working cart slot I reconditioned myself. It worked!!! Awesome!! One problem though. The image looks like the colors are off by a little and the image looks like it has a ghost image slightly shifted to the right. I looked at the mobo and noticed a cap that had some powdery white stuff on the top. I replaced it and have the same results. I also tried adjusting the TC-1 but nothing seems to help.

I was wondering if anyone would have any insight as to what might be causing this. Should I order all of the cylinder type caps and replace them? They seem to look fine. I want to use the mobo in my all in one super console mod. http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=49292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a pic I took of the screen. Thanks in advanced!

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: NES video problems.

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Looks like interference from something. Are all the grounds grounded? How good is your video cable?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

TSX420J

Re: NES video problems.

Post by TSX420J » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Metallica Man X wrote:Looks like interference from something. Are all the grounds grounded? How good is your video cable?
The video cable used is a standard RCA cable (very cheap). I have another NES that I also tested with the same cables and game, the image is perfect.

Not sure if all the grounds are grounded, but looking at the mobo I noticed it looked like someone tried to tamper with the AV/Power Box. It has what looks like fresh flux and solder on the solder points. I just noticed that there are two points bridged, WTF!! LOL whoever tampered with it made a mess. Im not sure what those points are for though. Thanks so much for the response, it is greatly appreciated. You da best!!

TSX420J

Re: NES video problems. (solved)

Post by TSX420J » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:16 am

Metallica Man X wrote:Looks like interference from something. Are all the grounds grounded? How good is your video cable?
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOOO!!!! I cleaned up that mess (bridged points) and now it is FIXED!!!! Thanks man!!! Now I hope messing with that TC-1 isnt going to cause future problems. Sorry for pestering you so much but one last question, what effects would rotating the trim of the TC-1 have to the console? I thought I read somewhere that it is video related. I probably am wrong, I read so much that I start to combine stuff I read by accident and end up making stuff up. Thanks again!! You've made my day!!

Edit: Found the thread. But it talks about the snes not nes. lol See.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... acitor-TC1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;