xbox 360 and ps3 desktop

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

paccoinca
PSN Username:paccoinca
xbox 360 and ps3 desktop

Post by paccoinca » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:14 pm

lets start at the beginning, im building a what im calling a super console. it wil be a desktop tower that will house a ps3 and a 360. my question to you guys will i be able to use the computer power supply to power both consoles or should i use indivdual supplies. heres whats in my head,if i can power them with a common supply but use seperate power buttons or should i use just their normal cords and power them that way seperately? thanks for your info!!

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Re: xbox 360 and ps3 desktop

Post by griehm » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:50 pm

First, you have to realize that nothing works with anything. What I mean by that is you can't plug a PC power supply into a PS3. the cords don't fit, and you might miss a connection if you don't have experience with this type of modding and cause an electrical fire. not good.

Yes, you would want to go with separate cables in this case, unless you would be willing to open a power supply and figure out the voltages on each line. The you'd need to make sure the power supply can handle the power draw and not light.

Something else you could try and do is have one connection and have a switch which changes the power input from one console to the other. This would mean, however, that you can't play both at one time. I wouldn't recommend both at the same time either- the combined heat would be horrendous.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

griehm

Post by griehm » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:54 pm

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=44675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consider that too- just goes to show the work you need to put in to make a nice mod.
And it's just an Xbox. you'd need to find a way to mount the PS3 on the other side.

paccoinca
PSN Username:paccoinca

Post by paccoinca » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:13 pm

so i couldnt take the wires from a cpu psu use a pinout guide and just wire it to the ps3 and 360. i have seen them done on youtube for testing purposes, just wondering about for permanent use if it is possible. i want to thank you for you input didny think anyone would.

Helma04

Post by Helma04 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:01 am

I currently own a 4gb Xbox 360 Slim, 160gb PS3 and a PC with the following specs:

Intel i5 3.2 GHz CPU
2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
MSI H61 SKT B3 i5/i7 Motherboard
Onboard Graphics (no video card)
Windows 7 Premium 64-bit OS
Hooked up to a 23" Dell PC monitor via VGA/D-SUB

The Xbox 360 I've had since January. The games I have for it are Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, Tekken 6, Burnout Paradise, WWE vs Smackdown 2010 and a couple of downloaded games. I have it hooked up to the 23" Dell PC monitor via HDMI. I also have a Gold Account, but very rarely play games online (prefer offline).

The PS3 I got only two months ago and I only own Little Big Planet and Batman Arkham Asylum for it. I play this on my 32" Samsung LCD TV.

The PC is also quite new (had to replace my old PC that gave in 4 months ago). At the moment I do not own any games for it.

I feel that I've spent WAY too much money the last time and think owning so many things is a luxury. I feel I could either:

A) Sell my Xbox and upgrade my PC so I can play games like Crysis 2 on it

B) Sell my PS3 and upgrade my PC

C) Sell both my gaming consoles and upgrade my PC and buy some games (not too keen on this option though)

D) Sell my PC since I'm only using it for internet, e-mail, chatting, listening to music, etc. at the moment

E) Do nothing and leave it as is

What do you think?

griehm

Post by griehm » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:39 pm

Keep the PS3, unless you needed the money. Xbox's do not go for too much, especially if you were looking to grab a good GFX card for that PC of yours.
If you are OK with PC gaming, then by all means do it, but you'll need to stretch the cash you get from the systems-
-GFX card- you can't game without (unless you play Minecraft, which runs OK on HD3000). Get anything above a GTX 285 and you're good.
-RAM- you'll definitely need to get more. 2GB will be swallowed by Windows easily. 8GB is good, and can be cheap if you get it on sale. I got some 1600MHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance for $30.
-CPU- I'm not sure which gen/ what version you have- Quad core? perfect, you'll be more than OK. Dual core? OK, but look into saving for a new chip.

So with this info you may not be looking at getting many games for the PC if you sell the consoles and upgrade.

Oh and start a new thread, do not reply to this. There's a PC gaming board you can go to for additional support.