My xbox laptop has 3 red rings!!!!!!!!!

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

ssmith43654
360 GamerTag:ssmith43654
My xbox laptop has 3 red rings!!!!!!!!!

Post by ssmith43654 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi. I have built an xbox laptop. At the beginning I made a mistake of drawing power from a small mosfet just right of the eject button on the motherboard for a fan. The fan took up too much power, and gave me an e64, so I unplugged it and the console worked fine. Now these two mosfets I believe serve the power for the cpu. And I had damaged one of them. Slowly I noticed games got jerky, and it was going at a lower framerate than normal. Today I made a big mistake.

I got a mosfet from a falcon board, and replaced it for the one in my xbox laptop. I did not know the mosfets were different. I turned it on, and it showed the boot up screen, but then suddenly went into 3 lights with error 0031. I then realised my mistake and replaced the mosfet with one from a jasper board. I turned it on, and it went straight to 3 red lights again. I then tried the other mosfet, and now whatever I do, it does 3 red lights immediately.

There is a another mosfet nexto the one i replaced, and it is connected to it, do you think this one has blown, or do you think I have completely wrecked the motherboard and cpu?

Also, please don't mention reflow/reball, as it is not that type of problem. I am sure it is cause by these mosfets.

I really need help, I am so depresses that this as happened, as I only just bought black ops :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry: :| :x :cry:

Thanks in advance!

Seb Smith
Never Give up; until you succeed...

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: My xbox laptop has 3 red rings!!!!!!!!!

Post by humakabula1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Replacing MOSFETS is hated by all 360 repairers, they are too fiddly..
When replacing them it is necissary to replace with the identical MOSFET from the matching generation of the console, e.g. falcom with falcon etc.

your error code is related with RAM problems, try putting the original MOSFETS back on,
then reflow the RAM.
if you are 100-% sure it is the MOSFETS, get the matching MOSFETS (same positions) from another mobo (same generation)
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:23 am

Hi, thanks for the help! I am 100% sure that its the mosfets, because the motherboard is fine, I cannot do a reflow, the motherboard is fixed in the laptop. There is another mosfet next the one I replaced, that is connected to it. Do you think this one may have also broken? and should I replace this one aswell?

Also, by putting in the wrong mosfet, could I have broken the motherboard, or just damaged the other replaceable mosfets.

When I turn it in, it sounds like power isnt getting to something because of the mosfets, as it goes straight to 3 red rings.

And, If I cannot fix my xbox laptop, I am buying a ps3, I have had so much bad experience with xbox's.

Thanks

Seb Smith

Please take a look at my blog page, where I have built an xbox 360 Laptop - http://seb3.yolasite.com/sebs-blog.php

xboxlegend

Post by xboxlegend » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:57 am

It is most definitely your mosfets. I had the same problem when i bent one of mine and the prong cam off of the mobo. i just put it back and added a little solder and it was fine. just replace BOTH of them and make sure their pointing in the same direction.

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:47 pm

pretty hard to point them in the wrong direction :roll:

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:23 am

Yeah, I will ty that when I get home on monday. Do you think any of the other mosfets will be blown and I will have to replace them?

Thanks

Seb Smith

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Not unless some freak surge went through them all, its should only be the ones your talking about

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:20 pm

just replaced the second mosfet, it did the same thing, it flashes on for about 1 second then displays 3rrod error 0031 without even trying to start up. I am sure it is something to do with a bad power supply to something and those mosfets, but i dont exactly what - it could be anything, maybe a blown capacitor?

also, i didnt mention this because i felt to bad to - but when it gave me 3rrod the first time is was so angry at it, i tried putting 5v into one of the terminals on the mosfet i replaced - and when i turned it on the power supply just turned red. after that it just gave me 3rrod the minute i turned it on, instead of showing the boot up screen and then turning off.

I think i have broken it, feel really bad for doing what I did, also got a really hard maths exam tomorrow that is stressful.

Any good ideas, please dont be afraid to tell me i have fu**ed up my xbox laptop?

I think I might have to abandon my xbox laptop, and put it on the wall as an ornament...

Thanks so far,

Seb Smith

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:17 pm

putting 5v into a MOSFET terminal
well, theres your problem right there.
if you have anything still hooked to MOSFETS, remove the add-ons.

last resort = replace all the MOSFETS. except there are a couple of the underside of the mobo.

how is the mobo attached to the case?

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:41 pm

yeah i know, that was really bad of me doing that. The mobo is screwed down, but it will be quite hard work taking it out. I will take it out, and try replacing all the mosfets on it. if that doesn't work then i can buy another jasper from ebay (the price has gone down rapidly with the new slim models) and replace the motherboard, it will be a lot of work...

hope i can fix it

thanks

seb smith

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:21 am

do you think i should try to fix this motherboard or get a new one straight away?

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:02 am

really down to what you feel like doing, i personally dont like to go down without a fight.

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:09 am

i know me too, but if i were to try and fix it , it would be all connected up to the laptop and would be quite hard. But i am planning to get a new one, and instead of soldering everything straight on this time im gonna use headers, so everything can be plugged in and out easily. With the broken board then out, i can properly fix it, and have it as a spare 360 or an extra board if the one in the laptop breaks (thats if I fix the broken one). There was also a problem with the broken board - the dvd drive didnt read the cd's properly all the time. This is the jasper i plan to get -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBOX-360-ELITE-CO ... 1803wt_985

As I have got some money, I might go ahead and buy it and have it installed in a day or two! (I have already re-installed 3 other xbox motherboard's in the case that broke, so it should take that long!)

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:20 am

DAMN YOU AND YOUR CHEAP CONSOLES!
lol, sorry.

headers are an excellent idea!

ssmith43654

Post by ssmith43654 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:47 am

is the price still high in the us? or did I annoy you by mentioning cheap consoles?

Anyways, i reckon all i need to swap/rewire is the dvd drive, wifi, hard drive, ring of light and power. Everything else just plugs in! And I have an old jasper that i removed the ram from (it was the one that got had 3rrod and cracked ram brick) so I should be able to pull all the mosfets I need from that one, but mosfets are a real pain to replace, their legs are too fragile, and they need heating up for ages to get them to come of the motherboard :oops: :oops:

Oh well