Help! Xbox 360 USB relocate problem

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

bartock
Help! Xbox 360 USB relocate problem

Post by bartock » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi, I am having a very confusing problem. I desoldered the front USB tower from my 360, and used some wire to relocate it for my xbox portable project. There are no cold joints, and everything appears to be wired correctly. I have took everything apart and re soldered a few times but the usb doesnt work. I get a brief flash of power on my controller, but then nothing. BTW the hard drive connector and front power button were desoldered and relocated the same way and work fine. I have no idea what to do so any help or advise is appreciated.

collinE

Re: Help! Xbox 360 USB relocate problem

Post by collinE » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:44 pm

I guess there's no way for us to know exactly what happened. It's possible that the wire isn't thick enough. Try resoldering some new thicker wire. Its also possible that when you desoldered the port, the pins pulled up the copper shafts in the vias that connected the layers of the board. What guage is the wire that you're using?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

bartock

Post by bartock » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Im using 22gauge wire. its about as thick as the pin headers that came off the usb. Also the copper parts that connect are intact. the solder pads are clean, and I do use flux...like I said its a mystery to me. I suppose just using the 1 usb on the back of the board would be ok, but more functionality is always better.

collinE

Post by collinE » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:46 pm

maybe the port itself is messed up. you could try getting two new USB ports and wiring them up or, on the cheaper side, testing the solder spots on the board with a multimeter to see if the power is running through them.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

itherian

Post by itherian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:56 am

I am having the same problem, I disassembled the usb adapter checking everything. I noticed if I move the usb connector around it finally lets me use the controller and as long as i hold it perfect like that it works.

Tralius
360 GamerTag:Tralius7

Post by Tralius » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:40 pm

How long are you extending the wires? Are you getting power from the USB port? You can check that with a multimeter. If it is getting power you can try twisting the data wires together as the data signals could be getting interference and corrupted. If you are not getting power to the ports you can take the 5V from anywhere else on the board to power it.

NES

Post by NES » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:40 am

I have had the same problem. Im using pretty thick wire and both times everything has been soldered correctly. Maybe its because we both took off the metal shielding?

Tralius
360 GamerTag:Tralius7

Post by Tralius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:11 am

Thick wire isnt the best idea, the thicker the wire the more voltage drop you will get, which may underpower the usb port.

Edit: Yes i could be confused, sorry :oops:
Last edited by Tralius on Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:38 am

Tralius wrote:Thick wire isnt the best idea, the thicker the wire the more voltage drop you will get, which may underpower the usb port.
The thicker the wire the less Resistance it has, hence less voltage drop, you're bass ackwards about that. ;)

To anyone having a problem with this you can try one of two things..

1 - Reinstall the USB ports on the motherboard and see if they still work there, if they do work, then it's your wiring. If not, then you've damaged something on the motherboard, a Via, Trace or component.

2 - Wire them up correctly to start with, and that's not a knock on anyone's soldiering ability, maybe desoldering though as it's more difficult to do without causing damage to the board sometimes. It's only 8 wires and if it's not working then something isn't done right or was damaged when removing the USB ports from the motherboard, as described above.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome