3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:23 am

toodles wrote:Congratz, Makezine.com linked you, and they even said it was a forum poster and not Ben Heck.

You know I've got experience in it. :) I've been getting most of my boards from goldphoenix.biz:
http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/special_price.php
They're the same place BatchPCB.com (a part of Sparkfun.com) uses. If you're willing to pay the $25-$50 for a single prototype, BatchPCB is not bad. Otherwise, pay the $99 and get the 155 square inch special from golphoenix directly; you can get a ton of boards depending on the size of your design.
Kool deal, again. ;)

Thanks for the PCB info Toodles, should have thought to ask ya about it over at SRK. ;)
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

tafro5

Post by tafro5 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:48 pm

Can you post instructions on how to do this
Why are you so sweaty? I was watching cops.

woox

Post by woox » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:42 am

tafro5 wrote:Can you post instructions on how to do this
Yes please or just tell us the genereal outline does not need to be detailed (for PS3 > 360 controller).

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:43 am

LoyalistRevolt wrote:I need this for when MGS gets ported to the 360.
Stop making Hideo Kojima mad :P

braggame

Can you fix the bugs?

Post by braggame » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 am

Can you fix the bugs and mass produce 15 of them for a fee? If so i will buy these for my COD4 tourney at my store. Grand Prize $2000.00
Let me know.

RDC

Re: Can you fix the bugs?

Post by RDC » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Not unless I get a few of the older version boards to make one up, and then get around to investing that huge amount of time into making up a good tutorial, that really takes more time than just making the controller up itself. ;)
woox wrote:Yes please or just tell us the genereal outline does not need to be detailed (for PS3 > 360 controller).
The pics pretty much do that and really to duplicate it you're in for a huge mess and would need a detailed tutorial or run down of what to do. Plus there are a couple different versions of the PS3 controller board that could be used, so it would have to cover that as well. There's a little more info/pics over at the XS forums (the 360 and PS3 Case Hardware Modding sections) where I've posted more info about the controllers and have different alterations I've done with them, and there's useful info in those threads as well about most of what ya have to do to hack down the CL version board and such. It's really one of those things where if ya can follow a 'guideline' kinda tutorial to make it then ya probably don't need it to start with. ;)
braggame wrote:Can you fix the bugs and mass produce 15 of them for a fee? If so i will buy these for my COD4 tourney at my store. Grand Prize $2000.00
Let me know.
What bugs? The headset connector can be installed, just didn't do it on this one, and for playing anything like CoD4 having the Triggers be Analog is really pointless, so technically they would be fine as is unless ya need the headset connector and as mentioned earlier in the thread it's something that can be installed. Making up 15 of these would cost more than the Grand Prize winnings there also, unless I did them all for practically nothing, and not to sound like an arse or anything, but I don't see that happening. ;)
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

tafro5

Post by tafro5 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:09 pm

can you at least post how to use the install the triggers? is there any more pictures, i am probably going to try this;) or how much would you make one for?

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:29 am

I used Transistors (NPN) as switches. The voltage from pulling the Trigger of the PS3 button, because of the way the PS3 daughter board is set up and the common line voltage of the CL board, that turns the Transistor on, then the Transistor essentially shorts the 360 controller's Trigger line to ground so it fires.
Last edited by RDC on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woox

Post by woox » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:41 pm

RDC wrote:I used Transistors (PnP) as switches. The voltage from pulling the Trigger of the PS3 button, because of the way the PS3 daughter board is set up and the common line voltage of the CL board, that turns the Transistor on, then the Transistor essentially shorts the 360 controller's Trigger line to ground so it fires.
Just post more internal pictures then I can figure it out from there or atleast try.

RDC

Post by RDC » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:25 pm

The Transistors are NPN, not PnP like I mentioned before. (edited my previous post)
woox wrote: Just post more internal pictures then I can figure it out from there or atleast try.
This controller is gone, has been for awhile now and there aren't any more internal pics, wish there were since you asked so nicely though. If ya don't know how to wire up a Transistor as a switch a pic isn't going to help ya much there either and since the BCE connections differ from one to another it would be even more pointless.

Base gets wired to the R1/R2 button line on the PS3 board, Emitter to Ground and the Collector goes to the LT/RT line of the 360 board. You'll also need to install 10k pull up Resistors from LT/RT lines to the analog voltage line, those are seen in the second pic. Trust me, if ya can get the rest of it done and working the Triggers are the least of your issues. ;)

If I ever get the parts to make up another one I may go into more detail with more pics, but as of now I've no plans to make another one and if I do I'm going for keeping the analog feature of the Triggers and that requires 2 daughter boards and connectors and will be quite the mess.

@ tafro5 - The cost to make one up depends on how ya want it done and is dependent on getting a hold of one of the older version PS3 controller boards and the newer 360 one. All of the PS3 ones now are the newer style with the 'digital POTs' and can't be used for this mod, so ya can't just run out and snag a PS3 and 360 controller and get right to it.

tafro5

Post by tafro5 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:21 pm

do you have the controller code for the old one's. thanx

RDC

Post by RDC » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:00 pm

tafro5 wrote:do you have the controller code for the old one's. thanx
What code? The only way you'll really know if it's the older version board or not is to take it apart and see it. The only outside thing that may even partly give it away is that they do seem to be the ones in the smoke colored shells though, not the newer black ones that ya can't see thru at all. The older Six-Axis in the smoke shells are your best bet to get the older style board (2 of which I know of) and are the MSU PP4.0 versions, but you'll have to take it apart to tell for sure as that number is on the top of the board, but by then you'll already know as ya can see if it has the 3 legged POTs or the 4 legged POTs from the bottom of the board. ;)

More info on the different board versions here..

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=648322

tafro5

Post by tafro5 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:24 pm

i mean the serial code or whatever it is on the back sticker or is there any third party contollers that will work with this mod

RDC

Post by RDC » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 am

tafro5 wrote:i mean the serial code or whatever it is on the back sticker or is there any third party controllers that will work with this mod
The Six-Axis controller model numbers are the same, because they're the same controller. Ya have to look for the smoke colored shell and go from there.

No idea if any 3rd party controller will work or not, I'd have to tear it down and see first.

xThe_OmegaX

Re: Can you fix the bugs?

Post by xThe_OmegaX » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:57 pm

RDC wrote:
Not unless I get a few of the older version boards to make one up, and then get around to investing that huge amount of time into making up a good tutorial, that really takes more time than just making the controller up itself. ;)
woox wrote:Yes please or just tell us the genereal outline does not need to be detailed (for PS3 > 360 controller).
The pics pretty much do that and really to duplicate it you're in for a huge mess and would need a detailed tutorial or run down of what to do. Plus there are a couple different versions of the PS3 controller board that could be used, so it would have to cover that as well. There's a little more info/pics over at the XS forums (the 360 and PS3 Case Hardware Modding sections) where I've posted more info about the controllers and have different alterations I've done with them, and there's useful info in those threads as well about most of what ya have to do to hack down the CL version board and such. It's really one of those things where if ya can follow a 'guideline' kinda tutorial to make it then ya probably don't need it to start with. ;)
braggame wrote:Can you fix the bugs and mass produce 15 of them for a fee? If so i will buy these for my COD4 tourney at my store. Grand Prize $2000.00
Let me know.
What bugs? The headset connector can be installed, just didn't do it on this one, and for playing anything like CoD4 having the Triggers be Analog is really pointless, so technically they would be fine as is unless ya need the headset connector and as mentioned earlier in the thread it's something that can be installed. Making up 15 of these would cost more than the Grand Prize winnings there also, unless I did them all for practically nothing, and not to sound like an arse or anything, but I don't see that happening. ;)
So How many controllers would you need and if I send them to you could I have the one that comes out of the Tutorial?