3PS60 Controller, Wired 360 controller in PS3 shell

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:17 am

LoyalistRevolt wrote:I need this for when MGS gets ported to the 360.
You should also get a spindle that can hold 8 or 9 DVDs. :lol:

Interesting fact. A friend of mine found this on google to show some guy at his job that there are people who actually like the PS3 controller. (The other guy was using the PS360 controller to 'prove' that the 360 controller is better.)

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Chapel wrote: You should also get a spindle that can hold 8 or 9 DVDs. :lol:

Interesting fact. A friend of mine found this on google to show some guy at his job that there are people who actually like the PS3 controller. (The other guy was using the PS360 controller to 'prove' that the 360 controller is better.)
There's no reason at all that game couldn't be made to fit on one or two DVD9 discs at the most, they just had the space to waste with the Blu-Ray format and did so. I'm not saying the game is bad at all, saying they just wasted space because they had it is all. ;)

A lot of people prefer the PS controller layout over the 360 one, I just preferred the challenge of trying to stuff a 360 controller into it is all, but some like it for fighting or 3rd person type games over the 360 layout, while they still like the 360 layout for FPS games and hate the PS one. Resistance FoM is much better, IMO, with a PS360 controller than it was with the PS3 one. I went thru the whole thing with the PS3 controller and later on played about 5 min with the PS360, night and day difference, feels like a completely different game, but for a game like MotorStorm either layout is about the same to me.

This controller went to a friend that has played mostly Marvel UA on it practically non stop since he got it weeks ago. ;)
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:53 pm

RDC wrote:
Chapel wrote: You should also get a spindle that can hold 8 or 9 DVDs. :lol:

There's no reason at all that game couldn't be made to fit on one or two DVD9 discs at the most, they just had the space to waste with the Blu-Ray format and did so. I'm not saying the game is bad at all, saying they just wasted space because they had it is all. ;)

A lot of people prefer the PS controller layout over the 360 one, I just preferred the challenge of trying to stuff a 360 controller into it is all, but some like it for fighting or 3rd person type games over the 360 layout, while they still like the 360 layout for FPS games and hate the PS one. Resistance FoM is much better, IMO, with a PS360 controller than it was with the PS3 one. I went thru the whole thing with the PS3 controller and later on played about 5 min with the PS360, night and day difference, feels like a completely different game, but for a game like MotorStorm either layout is about the same to me.

This controller went to a friend that has played mostly Marvel UA on it practically non stop since he got it weeks ago. ;)
I wasn't trying to say that the PS controller wasn't as good as the 360 controller. Rather that your mod has, unfortunately, become ammo for crazy fanboys. I like it though, both controllers have their good points and their bad points and it really depends on what game you are playing.

I guess the next challenge is to combine the best parts of both controllers into a single next gen controller.

RDC

Post by RDC » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:22 pm

Chapel wrote:I wasn't trying to say that the PS controller wasn't as good as the 360 controller. Rather that your mod has, unfortunately, become ammo for crazy fanboys. I like it though, both controllers have their good points and their bad points and it really depends on what game you are playing.

I guess the next challenge is to combine the best parts of both controllers into a single next gen controller.
I agree, either or in my book, just depends on what I feel like playing, just sighting reasons I've been told. ;)

I wouldn't exactly call it ammo for the crazy fanboys, as a true fanboy would prefer the controller of the system they were playing on at the time, but the 3PS60 is definitely something to get some PS3 gamers onto a 360 just like the PS360 is for 360 gamers on the PS3.

That 'next gen' controller would be what? I've stuffed a PS3 D-pad into a 360 shell before and could add in any one of three different tilt boards for that 'gimmick' on the 360 side of things. Then I've put a DualShock 3 into a 360 shell (the only way I plan to touch RFoM2) so that about covered that for the PS3 side except it inherited the 360 D-pad which could be remedied. Not really a lot I'd consider each controller has as a real good 'strong point' that would do well to make just one controller, as some prefer the stick layout of one and some the other. I know I'd leave the 360 D-pad out, it's retched. Though some people really like that thing, for what reason I can't fathom, guess they don't play games that use it much, but they do like it.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:36 pm

RDC wrote:
Chapel wrote:I wasn't trying to say that the PS controller wasn't as good as the 360 controller. Rather that your mod has, unfortunately, become ammo for crazy fanboys. I like it though, both controllers have their good points and their bad points and it really depends on what game you are playing.

I agree, either or in my book, just depends on what I feel like playing, just sighting reasons I've been told. ;)

I wouldn't exactly call it ammo for the crazy fanboys, as a true fanboy would prefer the controller of the system they were playing on at the time, but the 3PS60 is definitely something to get some PS3 gamers onto a 360 just like the PS360 is for 360 gamers on the PS3.

That 'next gen' controller would be what? I've stuffed a PS3 D-pad into a 360 shell before and could add in any one of three different tilt boards for that 'gimmick' on the 360 side of things. Then I've put a DualShock 3 into a 360 shell (the only way I plan to touch RFoM2) so that about covered that for the PS3 side except it inherited the 360 D-pad which could be remedied. Not really a lot I'd consider each controller has as a real good 'strong point' that would do well to make just one controller, as some prefer the stick layout of one and some the other. I know I'd leave the 360 D-pad out, it's retched. Though some people really like that thing, for what reason I can't fathom, guess they don't play games that use it much, but they do like it.
Some kind of controller with x360 trigger buttons and general size but PS3 D-pad and motion control that could work on either system would be quite a project. I couldn't imagine how to improve the controller beyond that.

And yes, I am aware that doing something like that would require rebuilding the controller from nothing. But I think that might be some of the fun of the project.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:20 pm

You've been engadget-imized! http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/31/ben- ... k-3-shell/ Unfortunately, they think you're Ben. :roll:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Ghinn

Post by Ghinn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:15 pm

I love this, and would like to do it myself, but I have a few questions:

1. Do you have to do anything to get the 360 buttons to fit, or are they the same size as the DS3 buttons? Also, do these just take the place of the DS3 buttons (do they make contact the same way), or do you have to use that part of the 360 controller?

2. If I forgo the rumble/LEDs/mini-USB, Can I just stick the 360 board in the shell and have it work? It doesn't have to look pretty, I just need a symmetrical controller with a good d-pad for DDR.

3. Would this work in a DS2 shell? I have at least 2 DS2 controllers that I can stand to tear apart, and would rather not have to buy a DS3 just to scrap most of what I'm paying for.

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:42 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:You've been engadget-imized! http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/31/ben-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... k-3-shell/ Unfortunately, they think you're Ben. :roll:
I set 'em straight, though Hacker is a bit vague, RDC would have sufficed. ;)

Ghinn wrote:I love this, and would like to do it myself, but I have a few questions:

1. Do you have to do anything to get the 360 buttons to fit, or are they the same size as the DS3 buttons? Also, do these just take the place of the DS3 buttons (do they make contact the same way), or do you have to use that part of the 360 controller?

2. If I forgo the rumble/LEDs/mini-USB, Can I just stick the 360 board in the shell and have it work? It doesn't have to look pretty, I just need a symmetrical controller with a good d-pad for DDR.

3. Would this work in a DS2 shell? I have at least 2 DS2 controllers that I can stand to tear apart, and would rather not have to buy a DS3 just to scrap most of what I'm paying for.
Good luck, because from your questions I can tell you're going to need it. ;)

1. The buttons have to be cut and glued together, it's a half and half kinda thing. http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... S60010.jpg The DS3 daughter board (slightly modified) stays in the controller, it's button contacts are what's used.

2. Not at all.

3. Yes and it will be just as much work as this one is pretty much.

Also, if you're going to sacrifice a PS3 controller it MUST be one of the older versions that has the 3 leg POTs, the newer version boards, of which there are tons of now, have 4 leg 'digital' POTs that will not work for doing this unless you get into even more modification than what I did on this one.
Last edited by RDC on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghinn

Post by Ghinn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Yeah, this is sounding like an incredibly involved project. I was hoping for a quick "empty out the DS2, cram in the 360", as I'm only going to be using it for 2 games, but it seems that this is quite beyond the scope of my expertise. That's a damn shame, cause I really want those achievements. Any suggestions for me that don't involve shelling out $100+ for an xfps360? I really just need a controller that's symmetrical, like the DS, and with a d-pad that doesn't suck.

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:03 pm

Ghinn wrote:Yeah, this is sounding like an incredibly involved project. I was hoping for a quick "empty out the DS2, cram in the 360", as I'm only going to be using it for 2 games, but it seems that this is quite beyond the scope of my expertise. That's a damn shame, cause I really want those achievements. Any suggestions for me that don't involve shelling out $100+ for an xfps360? I really just need a controller that's symmetrical, like the DS, and with a d-pad that doesn't suck.
Not really, the only other option ya would have besides this thing or the XFPS is the 360PS controller I'm working on, and there's no easy going on there either. ;)

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=25052" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by RDC on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghinn

Post by Ghinn » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:20 pm

any chance of you selling these? I'd supply the controllers, and like i said, it doesnt have to be pretty. I would love to be able to do stuff like this, but the most I've ever done is replace all the LEDs in my old systems with blue ones, and a color-changing one in a friends dreamcast.

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Ghinn wrote:any chance of you selling these? I'd supply the controllers, and like i said, it doesnt have to be pretty. I would love to be able to do stuff like this, but the most I've ever done is replace all the LEDs in my old systems with blue ones, and a color-changing one in a friends dreamcast.
Define 'these'. Do ya mean the 3PS60 (wired 360 controller in the PS3 shell) or the 360PS (360 controller in the PS layout) Either way it'll be an expensive thing to have done and I'm not sure if I'll be making another of the 360PS ones yet or not, still not done with this one yet. ;) Even if I sat down straight thru from beginning to end it's still a couple days worth of work, and that's if I forgo things like eating and my sanity.

It takes 2 certain versions of controller to make the 3PS60. The older 3 leg POT style PS3 controller (every one out now are the newer 4 legged ones and they're no good for making the 3PS60) and one of the newer CL version 360 controllers.

It takes two (1-1/4 really) 360 controllers and a PS3 controller to make the 360PS. One of the 360 controllers has to be the newer CG version for Wireless or CL for Wired, the other 1/4 is just the top half of the shell, and the PS3 controller can be any version except for the latest DualShock 3 as it has a redesigned daughter board and it isn't viable for use on the 360PS.

So on top of it being time consuming and expensive, like 360/PS3 console expensive, ya have to have all the right controllers to even think of starting the mess. ;)

Shoot me a PM if your serious about having one made up, but like I said it's not cheap because it's not something I can just sit down and cut, glue solder and 'ta-da' it's done, it's a LOT of work to make either one of them.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:21 pm

RDC wrote:and that's if I forgo things like eating and my sanity.
Those things are overrated really.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 pm

Chapel wrote:
RDC wrote:and that's if I forgo things like eating and my sanity.
Those things are overrated really.
agreed. and so is going to the bathroom.

toodles

Post by toodles » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Congratz, Makezine.com linked you, and they even said it was a forum poster and not Ben Heck.
RDC wrote: On topic though, does anyone around here do PCB fabricating? Not that Rat Shack PCB kit kind and nothing like a nice 6-layer motherboard, but anything along the middle lines though, like a 2 layer board? I know there are loads of places online to have that kinda thing done, just wondering if anyone here has had experience with it or would recommend a certain place?
You know I've got experience in it. :) I've been getting most of my boards from goldphoenix.biz:
http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/special_price.php
They're the same place BatchPCB.com (a part of Sparkfun.com) uses. If you're willing to pay the $25-$50 for a single prototype, BatchPCB is not bad. Otherwise, pay the $99 and get the 155 square inch special from golphoenix directly; you can get a ton of boards depending on the size of your design.