Project Trinus build log (+help needed)

Discuss LEGAL mods for your game systems, and turning them into portables!

Moderator:Moderators

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22
Project Trinus build log (+help needed)

Post by griehm » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 pm

OK- here is my project, finally coming together after a year of putting it off. I recently picked up cash and the LCD panel, so I'm well on my to completing this.
I do have some questions at the end, just general stuff, including batteries (yes, batteries) and paint options. Thanks for any help.

Completed-
-PS3 slim obtained
-motherboard cleaned and re-thermal-compounded
-case obtained
-LCD obtained
-LCD controller board bought (shipping)

Still need to get done-
-Case cleaned, painted and drilled for mount + holes for exhaust and connections
-PS3 USB ports desoldered and re-wired, and mount to case
-batteries (ARG)
-hook up LCD controller board
-mount internal components
-pretty it up
-create top case, mount keyboard

First picture- my case. Not yet painted

Second- case internal

Third- PS3 board fitted into case- work out nearly perfectly, the only issue being the Blu Ray drive is SLIGHTLY off to the side. I may mount it behind the LCD for extra room.

Fourth- PS3 board, antennae, and HDD upgrade

Fifth- the LCD panel. From a Dell 6400 or something like that. Some person dropped it off to be recycled, I picked it up for free. Deal of the century, 'specially with that 1440x900 resolution (BF3 doesn't run in 1080p anyways)

Sixth- everything together. I assumed the LCD panel would fit, and I try to never assume. It fit perfectly, with the corners resting perfectly on the rounded inside edges of the case. Couldn't have worked out better. the PS3 fits well, with room to spare. Maybe this is the case to get for a PS3p?

No on with the questions-
-What design should I put on it? I've stuck with a deep purple and black colour combo.
-Would it be useful to mount the DVD drive in the lid, behind the LCD? Is the extra space worth having for batteries?
-How should the batteries be hooked up to the PS3? I'm worried that if I hook it up to the 12 prongs, and I plug it in, the system will get half the power it'll need. (half to batteries, half to system)

Thanks folks. I'll update as I complete things on the check list.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.