Official LOB64 Interface Standard

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

FireTime
PSN Username:FireTime6
Steam ID:aaron_trammel
Re: Official LOB64 Interface Standard

Post by FireTime » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:26 pm

TADAA,

pardon the lighting,(and everything else) made it really quick
(this is what being very board and sitting on the forums brings about)

PureAwsomeness

Post by PureAwsomeness » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:58 pm

just a thought but what if someone made an LOB Slave which would pretty much consist of a screen and a controller? It would be a lot easier then making 2 whole portables.
I would do this myself but first of all I havent even made a portable yet(unless u all that thing i threw together a portable)and second im fat and lazy :mrgreen:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:14 pm

PureAwsomeness wrote:just a thought but what if someone made an LOB Slave which would pretty much consist of a screen and a controller?
lol, that was pretty much the idea of this thread, except he wanted to make his own standard (LOB64 will work fine). Its definitely doable, I'm kinda considering making a portable and a slave or two for my siblings to play with on trips. Maybe just add a LOB64 port to an otherwise stock N64 and plug a few slaves into it....

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Honestly, its been a while, and I really don't see this going anywhere.

So far there's only been one made, and LoB dropped the project(the only n64ps that would get use out of it), so I don't see why this should be stickified, its basically a guide on how to build something you'll never use. Hate to be a downer but thats just the way it seems to me.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:44 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:LoB dropped the project(the only n64ps that would get use out of it)
Brian didn't drop the project - just a few days ago, he said:
Life of Brian wrote:Dual N64 portables
Link
Status: Learned how the electronics work, have totally gutted one N64, haven't touched the second, and still deciding on what to do for the cases.
Goal for completion: End of summer
I think more people will do this as time goes on - if for nothing else other than a relatively small video-out port.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue May 05, 2009 12:33 pm

I'm all for standardization, so I'll probably use it if I ever build an N64p. What bugs me a bit is that there are no buffer pins. What if I want to extend the protocol? Maybe I'll just use a header and build an adaptor. Should be easy enough.

eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:47 pm

That's just the way it worked out. To use more pins would require using something the 9-pin serial cable, 15-pin VGA cable, or 25-pin parallel cable. Compared to Cat-5 ethernet cable, these other cables tend to be shorter, larger, more expensive, and unsightly. I'd rather use two ethernet cables than any of the others.

In a pinch, you could combine the audio onto one pin and free one up for your nefarious purposes. Do you have something in mind, or just pointing out a potential design shortfall?

By the way, has anyone determined or considered what the effective limit is on the length of these cables (before the picture looks terrible or lag becomes an issue)? Not that anyone would use longer lengths (I suspect 10-12 feet would be quite long enough for most people), but can it go for 25 feet? 50? 300?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue May 05, 2009 2:06 pm

The video should be fine with a well shielded cable, along with sound. The controller depends on the brand being used, but my Yobo can get through its original 8' cord, and 3x 10' extensions chained together, so at least 40 feet or so, and probably more.

Excellent

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Tue May 05, 2009 4:26 pm

eagle5953 wrote:That's just the way it worked out. To use more pins would require using something the 9-pin serial cable, 15-pin VGA cable, or 25-pin parallel cable. Compared to Cat-5 ethernet cable, these other cables tend to be shorter, larger, more expensive, and unsightly. I'd rather use two ethernet cables than any of the others.

In a pinch, you could combine the audio onto one pin and free one up for your nefarious purposes. Do you have something in mind, or just pointing out a potential design shortfall?

By the way, has anyone determined or considered what the effective limit is on the length of these cables (before the picture looks terrible or lag becomes an issue)? Not that anyone would use longer lengths (I suspect 10-12 feet would be quite long enough for most people), but can it go for 25 feet? 50? 300?

I've seen people route audio throughout their home with cat5 cable, and even cable routed with cat5 cable. It can allow for each room to have a panel with audio for wall or cieling speakers, a cable jack and who knows what else...

So it will probably get up to very long lengths...:)

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Bookmarking some shopping sites where I'll buy the parts for this idea. Being in Hawaii, I doubt I'll come to MGC any time soon, but it's still a very useful thing to have (especially if I steal Pure's idea and make an LOB slave or two, for playing with family/friends). Heck, I may try to come to one in a few years. I assume I can hook an LED up next to the ethernet port to tell me when it's being used for multiplayer, and have it remain unlit if I don't have it in use?

Honestly, I think anyone that makes a portable N64 should follow this. It's not that complicated. If you're going to put a ton of effort into your portable, you might as well add this in as well. Even if you don't use it, if one day portable N64s become really popular (I can dream!) and more people start making them, people would have more reason to want to play multiplayer.
what is this i don't even

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:53 pm

Posted this in a different thread, but is this possible?

Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:42 am

I'm studying your diagram and trying to think things through - my initial response is that it looks okay to me. Anyone see anything that might cause problems? The only thing I see is that 7.4v is always going to the N64 without a switch of any sort.

Very nice diagram, by the way.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:07 am

Life of Brian wrote:I'm studying your diagram and trying to think things through - my initial response is that it looks okay to me. Anyone see anything that might cause problems? The only thing I see is that 7.4v is always going to the N64 without a switch of any sort.

Very nice diagram, by the way.
If memory serves, the only reason we even discussed the diode was in the matter of connecting two full-fledged, standalone N64 portables together. If your intention is to have one master and one or more slaves, it isn't needed because the actual N64 hardware and game will always be in the master system.

Furthermore, this could be done with an actual physical switch, no? It's not as... elegant as Brian's auto-detecting, but it would be easier for the less-experienced among us.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:35 am

In Mario's diagram, 7.4v is always going to the system as well. In mine, the controller's power line is just hooked directly into the ti card. The system won't turn on unless a game is in and pressing the tact switch down.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

haterz

Post by haterz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:36 am

omg y would u link n64s together like gameboys if theyre home systems?