Here are my main questions about N64P!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Here are my main questions about N64P!

Post by thewise1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Topic Number 1:

I am completely new to making cases, I don't even know what vacuum forming is, I think it has something to do with molding plastic.

I want to know where I can get a good case for an n64p. I've seen many guides on the net and I think I can do it. The only problem is getting the case, I think I could just put it in a plastic box when I build it to get the general size.

I don't know how to make a case, and I don't know where I could get one. I heard you could buy one from benhecks website.

Even if I got hold of a perfect case I don't know how to drill out all the holes or use that stuff you put on the case then sand it and paint it. I don't know how to paint a case either.

Topic Number 2:

How could I cool the n64 after I build it, I saw SifuFs n64p and I just wanted one, I would like a case like that but black, but I saw it had no ventilation holes, I was thinking of a fan but I don't want to suck the battery dry. I was talking to my friend about it today and he said the 64 can actually get pretty hot, he was playing a 99 stock fight on smash bros and he went to turn it off and he burned his hand. (not blister burning but it hurts)

Topic Number 3:

I want to know a guide to see where I can trim the motherboard and where I can't I really want to model my 64 after sifuf's, his looks perfect and extremely small.

Topic Number 4:

I would like to know a list of all the parts I need.
I know I need an n64, psone screen, but I want to know the best battery for use.

I don't really know any of the parts to get, like that mini power supply I need some resistors for, and the power plug itself that will work with the battery, I suppose the one from wherever I got the battery from would work but I'm not sure.

DONE

I know it's a tall order of questions but I need o know all of these. I'm basically trying to make one like SiFuF's: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=27519

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:45 pm

SifuF is an experienced modder, firstly.

The reason what he did was so monumental was that work to that degree of complexity had never been done before by the modding community.
It takes lots of experience to be able to attain that level of awesome.

That said, there are many things in his piece that are less than desirable, mainly the lack of internal batteries.

My advice to you:
Read the stickies, all of your how-to questions are answered there.
Use Bacteria's site, it's an excellent hold-your-hand resource

The N64 doesn't necessarily need an extra cooling system if you keep the original heat dispersal metal plating. You can add different heatsinks, and use a fan though.

Feel free to ask questions, but see if you can't find the answers yourself first.
No one will hold your hand.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:09 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:SifuF is an experienced modder, firstly.

The reason what he did was so monumental was that work to that degree of complexity had never been done before by the modding community.

That said, there are many things in his piece that are less than desirable, mainly the lack of internal batteries.

My advice to you:

The N64 doesn't necessarily need an extra cooling system if you keep the original heat dispersal metal plating. You can add different heatsinks, and use a fan though.

Feel free to ask questions, but see if you can't find the answers yourself first.
Of course it would be hard to obtain his level of awesomeness, frankly I just want to try my best at making one. The problem is I have no way of gaining experience in modding. I just don't know where to learn how to do it. I wasn't expecting to make one like his immediately, but at least make one.

Sorry about my post seeming very whiny I just couldn't find the answers. And it was easier to ask than read. I don't need someone to hold my hand, I just feel safer when someone does. lol

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:07 pm

The only road to wisdom is that of experience.

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:05 pm

jjhammerstein wrote:The only road to wisdom is that of experience.
Lol, my name doesn't suit me (yet)

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 pm

As mentioned to someone else recently, my existing case (see PSone section) will be suitable also for making an N64p, with INTERNAL game cart.

Within a fortnight or thereabouts from finishing my PSone portable (IntoPlay), documenting it on my site, publicising on the net and offering kits for sale, I will work on the N64p version (iNto-64) and do the same with that.

By the time you have been tinkering with soldering techniques, dremel techniques, etc; you can buy my kit if you like; having seen how I make it all fit in the existing case. It will be far cheaper and more attractive as a final product than "the alternative" you mention, also I will ship worldwide not just US.

In the PSone forum here, on page 28/29 you will also see I managed successfully to reduce the board of the PSone screen down - I trimmed 7mm off the board bottom, could have taken about another 12mm on top of that with a little more work if I had wanted too - same as SifuF did. It actually isn't difficult, and I gave a guide on the pages I just referred to - have a look. If I was using an LED modded screen, the top section could have been removed too (I don't need to though).

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:19 pm

or you could get the ZN-45 case for free from Polycase. Order it as a sample and they don't charge you. If you go to the NEWS section of these forums you can see a few of the N64 portables made with this case.

You'll most likely need a dremel for cutting/drilling holes. The cheapest I've seen is like $25 for a crappy but effective one. There's quite a few other things you'll need, but if you browse the worklogs of N64p's here, then you'll probably get answers to many of your questions.

Also, you can check out youtube for videos on how to solder or spraypaint... or just about anything else.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:57 am

jjhammerstein wrote:SifuF is an experienced modder, firstly.

My advice to you:

Oh sure, don't mention the site I made... :P

Anyway yeah, if you want to do what SifuF did, it's not impossible, but you'll have to be really patient, careful, good at soldering and you need to have some steady hands. As a first project - probably not a good idea.

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 am

bacteria wrote:As mentioned to someone else recently, my existing case (see PSone section) will be suitable also for making an N64p, with INTERNAL game cart.

Within a fortnight or thereabouts from finishing my PSone portable (IntoPlay), documenting it on my site, publicising on the net and offering kits for sale, I will work on the N64p version (iNto-64) and do the same with that.
Where are these kits you speak of?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 am

not yet available

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:50 am

deviouskoopa wrote:
bacteria wrote:As mentioned to someone else recently, my existing case (see PSone section) will be suitable also for making an N64p, with INTERNAL game cart.

Where are these kits you speak of?
(as detailed in 2nd paragraph - once my PSone project is finished I will be preparing the kits - assuming my clay molds, now fully dry and rock hard, hold up).

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 pm

Marshall has been superceded. There used to be posts from people who saw the L64 and wanted to make one but now SifuF has the honor of drawing people wanting to make a n64p.

Really all the information is in the stickies and if that doesn't make sense Bacteria's site and if its not there try Kyo's. Read old topics and links from the stickies and then reread them. All the information should be there.

As for cases I want to see one made out of lego :lol: . You'd need to glue the pieces together to make it structural but if you custom ordered all the right pieces and made a colour scheme you stuck to it could actually look pretty good. Play around with L-cad if you don't believe me.

timewarp

Post by timewarp » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 pm

evilteddy wrote:As for cases I want to see one made out of lego :lol: . You'd need to glue the pieces together to make it structural but if you custom ordered all the right pieces and made a colour scheme you stuck to it could actually look pretty good. Play around with L-cad if you don't believe me.
After the incredible soreness I've gotten in my fingers just assembling a lego boat, I'm not too sure I'd want to hold a lego portable for any considerable length of time. :lol:

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:32 pm

It would also be a good bit thicker than you might want.
But this is actually a really good idea.....
Hmmmmmmmmmm....
SS should so this.