Nintendo 64 Motherboard Revisions/Serials Info Request

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Link83
Re: Nintendo 64 Motherboard Revisions/Serials Info Request

Post by Link83 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:37 am

Thanks very much for the serials/revisions marshallh, I have added them to the list :D
marshallh wrote: What about the AVDC models makes them not RGB moddable?
On the early N64's (NUS-CPU-01 to NUS-CPU-04) the DAC and Video Encoder chip are separate. the DAC is labelled 'VDC-NUS' (Or 'VDC-NUS A') and takes the digital video data directly from the RCP and outputs RGB. This RGB is then sent to the separate 'ENC-NUS' video encoder chip wheres its encoded into Composite and S-Video. It is possible to perform an RGB mod on these consoles because you can tap the RGB signals from inbetween these two chips.

The AVDC-NUS (NUS-CPU-05) combines the DAC and the Video Encoder together into one chip (It actually also combines the Audio DAC aswell) Which means that it converts to RGB internally and then encodes directly into Composite and S-Video - so there is no way for us to tap into the RGB signals anymore :(

The Video/Audio chip progression seems to go like this:-
NUS-CPU-01 to NUS-CPU-04 (Early-ish NTSC N64's)
VDC-NUS - Video DAC
ENC NUS - Video Encoder
BU9480F - Audio DAC

NUS-CPU(P)-01 (Early PAL N64's)
DENC-NUS - Combined Video DAC and Video Encoder
(The DENC-NUS chip was only ever used in PAL consoles)
BU9480F - Audio DAC

NUS-CPU-05 (Mid NTSC N64's)
AVDC-NUS - Combines Video DAC, Video Encoder and Audio DAC into one chip
(The AVDC-NUS was only ever used in NTSC consoles)

NUS-CPU-05-1 onwards (Late NTSC N64's) and NUS-CPU(P)-02 (Late PAL N64's)
MAV-NUS - Combines Video DAC, Video Encoder and Audio DAC into one chip

The AVDC-NUS and MAV-NUS chips seem to share exactly the same pinout. It is my guess that they are both almost identical and only differ in that AVDC-NUS chip can only use NTSC color encoding (Just a guess) whereas the MAV-NUS can do both PAL and NTSC color encoding by making one pin high or low.

Theres is one method that can RGB mod any N64 console, because its basically a replacement DAC and takes the digital video data directly from the RCP. It was invented by Viletim and theres an old thread about it here:-
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2563.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its pretty complex though and requires a programmed CPLD. Heres the assembly procedure (Just look at the end picture!):-
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... embly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gives a great picture though :)
marshallh wrote: It's my dev N64 so I'm not taking it down to the video DAC.
Is it really an actual original development N64? :o Or do you means its one that you dev with yourself?
Last edited by Link83 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dr. Killjoy
360 GamerTag:DrKilljoy59
Steam ID:drkilljoy88

Post by Dr. Killjoy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Wow, it's been forever since I've posted in these forums.

I thought I would contribute a couple of my N64 serials to add to the list:

NS254977622

NUS-CPU-05-1

MAV-NUS
RS5C382
9BS 94

--------------------------------

NS230549744

NUS-CPU-05

MAV-NUS

--------------------------------

The only reason I don't have more info on the second one is because it's my OCed N64 and it would be difficult to get to the Video DAC chip, what with all the wires and such in the way. I do have a picture of the first board to prove that it is in fact an 05-1:

Hope all this helps. I've been looking to get my hands on one of those older systems to do the RGB mod for a while now.

Oh, and one last thing. I'm not sure if it's relevant or already been mentioned, but I noticed that the MAV-NUS chips are label as U1 on the mobo (as opposed to the typical U4).
Check out my FS/T thread!
See my feedback here.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Since all revisions of the N64 mobo all output 7-bit digital RGB from the same pins...

Why not just desolder the VDC-NUS rgb encoder from a dead n64 and solder the left 12 pins onto the left of the MAV or AVDC chip (they all have 24 pins IIRC.)

You might have to connect a couple more vcc/gnd pins but then you'll have analog RGB coming off any N64, regardless of what it had.

The VDC-NUS encoder does the same thing as the mentioned CPLD and massive R2R resistor ladders. And they're free from dead n64s...

Link83

Post by Link83 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks Dr.Killjoy I have added them both to the list. This is actually the first time I have ever heard of the NUS-CPU-05-1 being available outside of Japan :o and its really nice to have expanded the serial numbers for the later revisions.

I realise you cant get to the video chip on your OCed motherboard but im almost positive that if you could it would have an AVDC-NUS video chip and not a MAV-NUS, because so far all NUS-CPU-05 boards have had AVDC-NUS chips, and all NUS-CPU-05-1 boards have had MAV-NUS chips. I could be wrong but im pretty sure the reason Nintendo added the '-01' was to differentiate between the AVDC-NUS and MAV-NUS video chips used as apart from the different video chips there appears to be no other noticeable difference between the two revisions. So I hope you dont mind, but I have changed it to AVDC-NUS for the list.

Also, your NUS-CPU-05-1 serial number is pretty close to the NUS-CPU-08 revision:-
NS254977622 - NUS-CPU-05-1
NS270238981 - NUS-CPU-08
I'm beginning to wonder if there even was an NUS-CPU-06 or NUS-CPU-07 revision...has anybody ever seen one :?:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marshallh, your are correct that you can just use a VDC-NUS chip from a dead N64, but for most people I think its easier and cheaper to just find an early model N64 instead, with the chip already in place. I dont think many people have access to dead N64 motherboards outside of this forum :wink:

Actually, at the top of page 2 of this thread timmeh87 suggested that people should start saving the VDC-NUS chips from dead motherboards.

Oh and the DACs do have different pinouts and pin numbers:-
VDC-NUS/VDC-NUS A = 24pins
DENC-NUS = 24pins (Is wider than the VDC-NUS)
AVDC-NUS = 32pins
MAV-NUS = 32pins

Dr. Killjoy

Post by Dr. Killjoy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Link83 wrote:I realise you cant get to the video chip on your OCed motherboard but im almost positive that if you could it would have an AVDC-NUS video chip and not a MAV-NUS, because so far all NUS-CPU-05 boards have had AVDC-NUS chips, and all NUS-CPU-05-1 boards have had MAV-NUS chips. I could be wrong but im pretty sure the reason Nintendo added the '-01' was to differentiate between the AVDC-NUS and MAV-NUS video chips used as apart from the different video chips there appears to be no other noticeable difference between the two revisions. So I hope you dont mind, but I have changed it to AVDC-NUS for the list.
Yea, that's fine. Come to think of it, I think I do remember it being an AVDC-NUS anyways.

Anyhow, I found another one of my 64's downstairs and thought I'd post another serial.

NS281891694

NUS-CPU-08-1

MAV-NUS
BU9906FS
940 116

It's one of those see-thru green systems. The board says © 1999 Nintendo.
See my feedback here.

Link83

Post by Link83 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks very much Dr. Killjoy, thats the highest N64 serial I have yet come across! :)
Also, I have never even heard of the NUS-CPU-08-1 revision before :o Is there perhaps any chance of some pictures of the motherboard? (Only if its not too much trouble mind)

Also, just realised you mentioned about the video chip being labelled U1 instead of U4, and thought you might like to know why. The 'U' number changed because there were originally three separate chips:-
U1 = BU9480F
U4 = VDC-NUS
U5 = ENC-NUS

As the chips were combined into one, Nintendo used the lowest 'U' number to denote the chip. On PAL N64's you have:-
U1 = BU9480F
U4 = DENC-NUS
(U4 and U5 have been combined, so U5 no longer exists)

and on later NTSC and PAL N64s you only have the U1 chip because all three chips have been combined into just one chip, which then takes the lowest 'U' number from the combined chips:-
U1 = AVDC-NUS or MAV-NUS
(Both U4 and U5 no longer exist)

Sorry if you already knew that, or if its abit boring!
Last edited by Link83 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Killjoy

Post by Dr. Killjoy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Link83 wrote:Also, I have never even heard of the NUS-CPU-08-1 revision before :o Is there perhaps any chance of some pictures of the motherboard? (Only if its not too much trouble mind)
No trouble at all. I have one of the entire board and then a close up of some chips on the right side.

EDIT: Better pics

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/ ... 4_full.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/ ... 4_zoom.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have higher res shots if anyone wants/needs them. However, I'd have to send you them directly because Photobucket doesn't allow that large of file size/resolution, unless you pay for Pro.
Link83 wrote:Sorry if you already knew that, or if its abit boring!
Knowledge is never boring! :D I had my theories behind the labeling change, and your information verified them. Thanks.
Last edited by Dr. Killjoy on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
See my feedback here.

boodle

Post by boodle » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:18 pm

NS175432439 NUS-CPU-04 has VDC-NUS

NS215885478 NUS-CPU-05 has AVDC-NUS

Both have black cases

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Revision 9. This revision has a stamped aluminum heatsink. This is the final and most cost-reduced version possible.

Hell, they even re-used the colored cart shields (green) from earlier batches.

This one is interesting. THe serial number is higher than I've ever seen before. The serial sticker is covering the original sticker, I think. I'd bet that it's a manufacturing refurbd case that they sent out as new N64s. Damn cheap Ninty.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:36 pm

I've got one of those too! I'm afraid to mod it though because it just seems so cheap :lol: It looks almost identical to a PAL n64 though, aside a few minor changes and the PAL n64 missing two caps.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:42 am

would it be less efficent to use one of those heatsinks on an older n64?

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blizzaird

Post by Blizzaird » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:35 am

Just opened my first N64:

Model #: NUS-001(USA)
Serial #: NS245115552
Revision: NUS-CPU-07 (1998)
CPU-NUS A
RCP-NUS
MAV-NUS
RDRAM36-NUS

Is CPU-NUS A overclockable?

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:07 am

Blizzaird wrote:Just opened my first N64:

Model #: NUS-001(USA)
Serial #: NS245115552
Revision: NUS-CPU-07 (1998)
CPU-NUS A
RCP-NUS
MAV-NUS
RDRAM36-NUS

Is CPU-NUS A overclockable?
Yes, but be warned, overclocking doesn't make much of a difference. Basically what it does is eliminate lag in most games. Mario said that it messes with perfect dark too. It definitely doesn't make it go 2.0x speed.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Link83

Post by Link83 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:45 am

Hi everyone,
Firstly I just want to say thanks very much to Dr. Killjoy, boodle, marshallh and Blizzaird for the new serials and pictures :) I have added them all to the first post.

Sorry for not replying/updating this thread in a while - I have been very busy with other things. On my return I was surprised but pleased to find that this thread has now been made a sticky! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marshallh, I am quite intrigued by your NUS-CPU-09 console. Could I just confirm I have the serial right from your picture - 'NS901672245'? (Wasnt sure about the last number)

If you ever get chance to open it again I would love to know what the CPU, RCP and RDAM revisions are (Im pretty sure the video chip is a MAV-NUS, right? I couldnt make out the rest) A picture of the other side of the heatsink would also be really interesting, as I would like to see how Nintendo 'imprinted' through the metal layers to remove the need for heatsink blocks (although I assume the RDRAM still has a heatsink block?)

Its surprising that Nintendo really cut back and used recycled parts for the casing and cartridge slot :shock: If you ever feel brave enough it would be great to peel back the new serial sticker and see what serial number the case originally had.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blizzaird, you are the first person who has a confirmed NUS-CPU-07 revision! Its interesting that the serial number NS245115552 you gave is right in the middle of the NUS-CPU-05 range - I wonder if Nintendo also used a refurbished case for your model or if Nintendo changed production back to the NUS-CPU-05 revision for some reason. Of course it could just be an anomally from the 'change-over' period between revisions.

I dont suppose theres any chance of some pictures of your NUS-CPU-07 revision if its not too much trouble?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eurddrue, thought you might like to know that Marshallh's 'NUS-CPU-09' seems closest to the PAL 'NUS-CPU(P)-02' revision. The 'NUS-CPU(P)-01' is the most common PAL model but is quite different to the NTSC 'NUS-CPU-09'.

For anyone interested here is a picture I found online of the PAL 'NUS-CPU(P)-02' motherboard revision, this was the second and final PAL revision and is actually quite rare as it seems to have only been used in the late transparent colored consoles (called the 'funtastic series' in the USA)

As far as I can tell PAL N64's started to use the 'NUP-CPU(P)-02' revision around serial NUP16000000 onwards, which are all coloured N64's. Nintendo seems to have stopped producing the original black PAL N64's from this point, but did continue to sell old stock of the black model (In the UK at least)

One interesting thing about the PAL 'NUS-CPU(P)-02' which seems to have not been used on NTSC motherboards is that the 'SN74LV125A' chip usually used to buffer the controller inputs (Just to the left of the reset switch and below the PIF-NUS) is replaced by four discrete components instead. I guess it became cheaper at that time to use individual components than one chip, but if thats the case its strange that the same change isnt found on NTSC motherboards :?

I leave you with this interesting low resolution picture of a prototype N64 motherboard from 1995 (I found it online, so if you have a higher resolution version please let me know!):-

Its interesting that the PIF-NUS chip is entirely rotated in the opposite direction from the final released motherboard. Also, it looks like Nintendo might have originally planned to use a different MultiAV port from the SNES?

Dr. Killjoy

Post by Dr. Killjoy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:39 pm

eurddrue wrote:Yes, but be warned, overclocking doesn't make much of a difference. Basically what it does is eliminate lag in most games. Mario said that it messes with perfect dark too. It definitely doesn't make it go 2.0x speed.
Yea, it doesn't change the game speed; it just allows the system to handle more information. For Perfect Dark, the higher speed helps with the lag caused by multiple explosives. However, as Mario and eurddrue said, it does mess with the game a bit. During the cut scenes, the video and subtitle text move faster then the audio, which usually means that the audio gets cut off for each part of a cut scene. But that's not a big deal if you've played the game before and already seen the cut scenes.
See my feedback here.