GameCube Portable Guide "How To and FAQ"

Moderator:Moderators

GCPX2.0
Re: GameCube Portable Guide "How To and FAQ"

Post by GCPX2.0 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:33 am

hi kasar
i makeing a GCP with while useing your guide , great guide btw
i wanted to ask i have a 6600 mah lithium ion battery how can i hook it up to charge when its wired to the GCp
also will this monitor work with my GCP?
http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-XBox-LCD-D ... ith+screen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its an xbox portable screen.... so will that work?

thanks for the guide i have always wanted to make one this really helped.

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 pm

hey GCPX2.0

thanks for using this guide ^_^

relating your battery question.

I supose the battery voltage is 12v or superior, else it will have some problems with the stock regulator board.

there are some methods to power the whole system with lower voltages, like SS discovered, but it is easier to just put 12v in.

about how to charge it, make sure it have the protection circuit if it requires it.

you can done the charge system by adding a two position switch at the + side of the batteries.

when the switch will be on pos1, the battery + will be connected to the system, and when the switch will be on pos2 the battery + will be connected to a external port (you will connect the charger to that port)

make sure the you wire the battery - to the other pin of the external port.

that two position switch basically make the system to be on play or charging status.

about the screen, well, it doesnt says if it support composite video, or the input voltage.

it may works, but we havent enough info at the link you provided, I suggest you get a PSONE screen, wich are proved to have high quality image, also there is a lot of PSONE documentation at this forums, so you will have good support to wire it to your system, there are also some avalible mods with the psone screen.

note:
I fixed some dead image links and added another image with more info about solderint into traces by using the rasp method

GCPX2.0

Post by GCPX2.0 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:51 pm

The PSone screens are really expensive isnt there any other screen i could use instead. also is there a way i could get a PSone screen for a decent price on one?

kasar

Post by kasar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:02 am

well, after reading this
http://www.made-by-bacteria.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will reconsiderate my opinion about the zenith screen.

try getting that zenith screen, (with the ps1/ps2 inputs) so you can ensure it will work.

you can also give a read to the screen section of this forums, there are a lot of info there :)

GCPX2.0

Post by GCPX2.0 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

when your unsoldering the components on the motherboard did you guys figure out the watts i need for the soldering iron, also i figure ripping them off is to risky so any info would help! :)

kasar

Post by kasar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:22 pm

mmm, I think I used a 35W or 45W soldering iron, not sure.

however I think is not recomended to apply heat more than 1-2 secs at the trace in order to prevent trace peel or any other electronic burning.

that is why is that important to keep the soldering iron head allways clean and plated color, a clean tool do a clean job ^^

remember having a wet sponge while soldering helps to clean the soldering iron head.

GCPX2.0

Post by GCPX2.0 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:35 pm

Is there a way i can use the Gamboy player on the GC portable and is there any extension cable i can use for it?

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

yeah, using the gameboy player is perfectly posible on a portable.

however you will have extra work with wires, space placing it on the case and it will make your portable bigger.

mmm, as far I know there are not any special cable wich allow direct extension from gbplayer conector to gamecube.

but you can do it manually by desoldering the connectors, and soldering wire per wire.

you can probably use an IDE cable

since the IDE cables have have 40 pins and 80 wires

wich are enough for the 36 pins of the gbplayer and gamecube parallel port ^^

you may consider this topic interesting due the pictures and info :)

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... r&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GCPX2.0

Post by GCPX2.0 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:37 pm

It seems the IDE cable im looking at are two wide. if i was to wire them manually with the soldering iron would i be better off or should i use the IDE cable somehow. if i wire them what type of wire can i use? Also I have tons of ethernet cable wires could i use those, rather than just buying different wires?

kasar

Post by kasar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:48 pm

mmm, I tried soldering with ethernet cables and my experience was bad, those cables didnt didnt even pick the tin properly, I remember I used a some kind of cable with several colored cables inside, it worked fine for the DD reallocation and controller hacking.

well, relating the ide cable, I never tried with one of them, some people preffer using them, but I preffer to use a lot of individual and colored wires, to make easier to identify each trace and making it easier.

your choice, just pick the ones you consider more confortable for the task ;)

GCPX2.0

Post by GCPX2.0 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I was looking at the Disk drive mods and i noticed in the one were you can extend the wires it will not work for rev3 DOL-101. so is ther an extension cable between the two reguar ports i could use? also Should i skip the regulator step because i have the DOL-101 or should i still do it and how would i? also How can i play burned games on my portable?

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 pm

mmm, are you sure?

I though all gamecube Disk Drive were the same ones, except the panasonic Q (wich is very rare), the revisions of the gamecube only have a different motherboard (with some ports stripped and with the regulator board integrated in some cases, but no more differences as far I know)

relating the method 4 you are talking about, I'm not sure how I can help you, since I never used that method.

anyway I added today another avalible method to the guide (method 5), it is just a link to the wiikey fusion chip guide.

this is really interesting for portables since it remove the whole Disk drive (big and a pain for every portable) for a small and nice modchip with SD card support, yeah, you can store game images into a SD card and read the games from there without the need of the original disk drive ^^

that method wasnt there when I made my portable, but currently is the best one for smaller portables.

also is better since there will be no laser or moving parts except the fan and rumble inside the portable now ^^

GCPX2.0

Post by GCPX2.0 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:16 am

that sounds a lot easier but is it compatable with the rev 3 DOL-101? relating to the power can i just strip the fan off and the board hook up a battery to the end with the original power source? will i need to take apart a wii to use the fusion?

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:18 am

yeah, as far I know, it is compatible with all gamecubes who have a DD connection (basically all of them ^^)

yeah, you can hook the fan and power switch board directly to the battery, that fan is rated for 12v, I supose it will also handle 14.8v and a little higher maybe, but dont push more since it will spin faster and you may burn it with higher voltages.

however you can remove that small board, it is just for the original power switch.

you can use another switch and hook it to the regulator board by just using wires.

remember every inch of space you save while making a portable is good ^^

oh, another advice

make sure the polarity is correct! (+ and - )
wrong polarity will fry some regulator boards, and if your gamecube is rev C, it may fry the whole motherboard by using the wrong polarity.

no, you dont need a wii at all for this, wiikey fusion is just a modchip designed for the wii (it allow to load backups or pirated games, so it obiusly doesnt come with the wii hardware by default), but it has been proved to work with gamecubes too.

you will need to get the wiikey fusion from some modchip site.

GCPX2.0

Post by GCPX2.0 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Do you know a relyable place where i can get one?