GameCube Portable Guide "How To and FAQ"

Moderator:Moderators

shinigami679
Re: GameCube Portable Guide "How To and FAQ"

Post by shinigami679 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:39 pm

kasar wrote:
shinigami679 wrote:wait but how do i hook up the power if i alrdeady soldered the thing that connects to the fan the power button and the power jack?
huh?

well, its hard to see or know where you soldered if you dont provide pics.

with my previus post, I was just telling you to power on the system and test if the last steep worked, the method to power on the system depends of what you removed or what not, all you need is provide the power to the system by plug on the power cord, soldering it, or power the system using batteries ..... your choice ^^
ok i finished connecting them i was pretty stupid but now im not sure how to cut up the controller circuit board for the buttons can u explain how to and what tools?

kasar

Post by kasar » Sun May 16, 2010 5:04 pm

shinigami679 wrote:im not sure how to cut up the controller circuit board for the buttons can u explain how to and what tools?
for that reason I used two controllers, I had cut one so I just got the " buttom " parts

I cut it into some parts," D pad", "joystick" ,"C joystick", A B X Y buttoms, and R and L buttom, the z buttom I just added a tact switch like I did with the start buttom.

then I just soldered them to the another one, and I desoldered the joysticks and L/R buttoms from the another controllers to prevent multiple joysticks and triggers wich may cause problems.

all I did it was like a extension from the wires to another buttoms and joysticks to make them fit in my custom case.

I just did it like this steep of my guide :D
my crappy guide :D wrote:Image
it will look like this.

you also will need reallocate the joystick if your custom portable case controller reallocation require it.

for L and R triggers, just desolder them and wire back them using wires.
,z buttom is easy to reallocate, just wire a tact switch. about the C joystick you probably will need replace the short wires it got by default for longer ones. (Use colored wires make the job easier)

you can also use this for custom L/R triggers

IMPORTANT:remember to note the correct pins of each part you desoldered!

shinigami679

Post by shinigami679 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 pm

kasar wrote:
shinigami679 wrote:im not sure how to cut up the controller circuit board for the buttons can u explain how to and what tools?
for that reason I used two controllers, I had cut one so I just got the " buttom " parts

I cut it into some parts," D pad", "joystick" ,"C joystick", A B X Y buttoms, and R and L buttom, the z buttom I just added a tact switch like I did with the start buttom.

then I just soldered them to the another one, and I desoldered the joysticks and L/R buttoms from the another controllers to prevent multiple joysticks and triggers wich may cause problems.

all I did it was like a extension from the wires to another buttoms and joysticks to make them fit in my custom case.

I just did it like this steep of my guide :D
my crappy guide :D wrote:Image
it will look like this.

you also will need reallocate the joystick if your custom portable case controller reallocation require it.

for L and R triggers, just desolder them and wire back them using wires.
,z buttom is easy to reallocate, just wire a tact switch. about the C joystick you probably will need replace the short wires it got by default for longer ones. (Use colored wires make the job easier)

you can also use this for custom L/R triggers

IMPORTANT:remember to note the correct pins of each part you desoldered!
can you show me how to cut it up and i also want to be able to plug in my controller port so i can add it on if i want to play with other people

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri May 21, 2010 3:33 am

shinigami679 wrote:can you show me how to cut it up and i also want to be able to plug in my controller port so i can add it on if i want to play with other people
in the case you want to use two controllers like I did, pick the second controller board and look for this

you can see there some buttom locations and the wires I found from the buttoms to some soldering points.

you can just rasp in the middle of the traces, you also will need to rasp at the "black point area" to get the ground and solder the black wire there.

about where to cut, try to cut closer just to get the buttoms and a little extra space to solder the wires without put the wires under the buttoms plastic, cause if you do, the buttoms respose will not be good for your portable. :D

about the way to put the internal controller and the external controller at the same time, I updated the guide, check under the rumble selection mod.

just take in mind, you also will need to solder the controller ports to be able to plug controllers, and if you plug a controller into a determined port, that port must be free (the internal controller must be set on another port or be disabled, else it will not work nice,2x controllers into 1 line = not good :D)

shinigami679

Post by shinigami679 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 pm

kasar wrote:
shinigami679 wrote:can you show me how to cut it up and i also want to be able to plug in my controller port so i can add it on if i want to play with other people
in the case you want to use two controllers like I did, pick the second controller board and look for this

you can see there some buttom locations and the wires I found from the buttoms to some soldering points.

you can just rasp in the middle of the traces, you also will need to rasp at the "black point area" to get the ground and solder the black wire there.

about where to cut, try to cut closer just to get the buttoms and a little extra space to solder the wires without put the wires under the buttoms plastic, cause if you do, the buttoms respose will not be good for your portable. :D

about the way to put the internal controller and the external controller at the same time, I updated the guide, check under the rumble selection mod.

just take in mind, you also will need to solder the controller ports to be able to plug controllers, and if you plug a controller into a determined port, that port must be free (the internal controller must be set on another port or be disabled, else it will not work nice,2x controllers into 1 line = not good :D)

could i send u a picture of what i think your trying to say but i dont know how too ?

kasar

Post by kasar » Sun May 23, 2010 4:36 pm

shinigami679 wrote:could i send u a picture of what i think your trying to say but i dont know how too ?
sure ^_^, send that pic ;)

reapr

questions about the gamecube portable how to F&Q guide

Post by reapr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:03 pm

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

um according to this topic, I want to know he he found some stuff out of it

point in being this paragraph,

step 3 - reallocating regulator board

this step will let you join back the regulator board to the Gc by wires and allowing a very slim design for a portable, how long the wires will be depends of the place you will want to allocate the parts into the portable case. there are different ways to do this . (Note, if your gamecube don´t have a regulator board under the Motherboard,It means it is integrated, and seems you can skip this step)

DEFAULT WAY : wire all pins

Custom way: This options give the gamecube power on only by 5 wires!
less soldering, more free espace inside

pin 22 of the regulator board have 5v, and pins 22 and 11 from the motherboard need it, just "bridge" (join with soldering iron) the pins 22 and 11 from the motherboard and connect them to the pin 22 of the regulator board using a wire.

the pin 21 of the regulator board gives 12v and the pin 10 of the motherboard needs 12v, just connect it using a wire

the pin 12 of the regulator board give "ground" and pin 1 of the motherboard needs ground, just connect then (use a fat wire at this step cause lot of power need pass through, other member and me noticed video problems if not doing this)

bridge pins 16,17 and 18 at regulator board, and wire them to pins 6,7,16,17,18,19 of the motherboard wich need o be bridged to the system get 3,4v

bridge pins 2 and 13 from the MOBO and wire them to pin 13 of the regulator board to the system get 5v

im somewhat confused on how he actually figured out what pin was what, i et that there numbered but i mean what did he do to iure this info out it doesnt tell you so yeah

also on the heat sink on top of the mother board i screwed it off and it keeps and slipping off, theres this gray stickiy rubber glue on the bottom, is there a way i can buy more of this stuff to refasten the heat sink on top of everything, cause like i said the thing wont stay put

The Smooth

Re: questions about the gamecube portable how to F&Q guide

Post by The Smooth » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:44 am

reapr wrote:im somewhat confused on how he actually figured out what pin was what, i et that there numbered but i mean what did he do to iure this info out it doesnt tell you so yeah

also on the heat sink on top of the mother board i screwed it off and it keeps and slipping off, theres this gray stickiy rubber glue on the bottom, is there a way i can buy more of this stuff to refasten the heat sink on top of everything, cause like i said the thing wont stay put
I'm pretty sure Shockslayer found it out... by using a multimetre (very handy)
You can get some gluey stuff (same stuff people use on cpus when building computers (name escapes me)) to replace the grey stuff. It's actually recommended since it will probably conduct the heat to the heat sink better.
Let's just say my portable has got loads of win!!! *hint *hint
Transformice is so addictive!

thomasbradley

Post by thomasbradley » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:02 pm

About how much will keeping the rumble feature effect the battery life? Basically is it worth it to keep the rumble?
"Well Ronnie, this just became a two tie job!"

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:56 pm

thomasbradley wrote:About how much will keeping the rumble feature effect the battery life? Basically is it worth it to keep the rumble?

depends, rumble motors suck a lot of power, for that reason I added a switch to change rumble modes.

for example, the "led rumble" need very little ammount of power, and if you are into a dark room the effect is cool (I added a blue bright led wich is quite visible)

the another option is just turn down the rumble.

anyway this is very customizable, as example, you can use a beep speaker instead a led or mottors, I just created this mod for fun.

regarding your main question, the led mode is quite low battery ussage, I use it most when battery mode, I switch to rumble motors sometimes when AC adapter is present.

and if I just got bored of rumble, I turn the entire function off with the switch.

:lol:

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Great Guide! If I want to wire in a headphone jack, do I attach both the right and left audio signal wires to one side, and ground to the other side of the jack?

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:20 am

I didnt added a headphone jack to my portable yet, but I supose you have to connect one audio channel to each pin, and you will have to put togheter the ground to make it fit at the headphones jack

http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.escol.com.my/Datasheets_spec ... pinout.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anyway you can ask/search at this forum, I'm almost sure someone already has been made the headphones jack at their portable

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:04 pm

okay thanks that diagram helped. I was looking at a microphone line in jack, so a headphone fit, but it only had two connectors. I realized later that headphones have three places that they connect.

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:50 pm

unicycler17 wrote:okay thanks that diagram helped. I was looking at a microphone line in jack, so a headphone fit, but it only had two connectors. I realized later that headphones have three places that they connect.
well, there are also some old mono headphones with just 2 places. but today most of them are stereo, so I would go for an stereo jack pinout :)

kasar

Post by kasar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:28 pm

I edited the guide with some images and questions Gamerlolwind51649 sent to me relating this guide.

this will give a little extra support to the controller parts and diagrams, especially while using non official controllers.

I also fixed some images/links and added more info and aditional links.