Replace N64 joystick with Gamecube joystick

Moderator:Moderators

Basement_Modder
Portablizer
Re: Replace N64 joystick with Gamecube joystick

Post by Basement_Modder » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:08 pm

As human beings, we all seek self-recognition. Nobody's perfect; we all have our little "bad habits."
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:As human beings, we all seek self-recognition. Nobody's perfect; we all have our little "bad habits."
QFT

:lol:

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:40 am

I modified the first post to make the credit to Electric Rain link to his initial thread with regard to this mod.

limpport

Post by limpport » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:19 pm

neverused wrote:PS2 sticks didn't work for me. SS is right, the resistance must match.
I can confirm this as well.

Unfortunately :cry:

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Since this thread has been sufficiently bumped, I thought I'd share with you my experience with this.

I have a MadCatz N64 controller. It's resistance when centered is about 25k, so it'd need a stick that tops out at 50k. I could not find one - all modern sticks seem to be 5k or 10k centered.

I thought I'd have to buy a controller, but it turned out my youngest brother had a 3-prong SuperPad (same style as Electric Rain). I tested that one, but the stick was so bad, I was getting weird results.

Anyway, I proceeded and attached a thumbstick from a 3rd party XBox controller (a Pelican controller that never wanted to work consistantly). It works fine! I actually can't decide if the stick is a tad oversensitive or if I'm just not used to any kind of quick and accurate response from an N64 stick!

TL;DR - this mod works, and it is totally worth the trouble!

popfan97

Post by popfan97 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

I have a 3rd party gamecube controller that I think could work. I'd use the c-stick if anything. I just need to know a few things. First, look at this picture of the back of the c-stick (it's a big picture):
Spoiler:
Would this be fine how it is, having the joystick mounted on this board, or would I have to desolder just the joystick part? I hope I can just leave that together, but desolder those four grey wires (there are four bundled wires coming out of the c-stick to the motherboard) from the main circuit board. You can see that (i think) the wires are already bridged to turn it into four wires, which hopefully would be fine for me to solder just right to the N64 controller mother board (once I get one!). I'm afraid I might have to get some longer wires if I do that though. Therefore I'd have to desolder the wires completely (right?). (I would need desoldering braid for that too right?) I just don't have a 3rd party n64 controller yet, so I want to know if this will actually work before I invest in one. By the way, the c-stick has something on the sides saying "10k" which I assume and HOPE is the resistence while in the center, supposing I got the "RetroBit" controller recommended. I hope I can be helped! I'm a newbie to all this, so I don't know much...

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Yes, you can leave it on its PCB and no, you don't need a desoldering braid. It's just a single wire, so heat up the joint, and pull the wire out. Simple as that. You can leave the solder blob there or scrape it off with your soldering iron. Or tap the board against your work surface when the solder is molten.

popfan97

Post by popfan97 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks! Also, could someone make up a wiring diagram for connecting my c-stick to the retrobit controller. I've seen some around the forums, but it looks like my wires are bridged differently, so I'm confused. Thanks!

Thielink

Post by Thielink » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Hello ,
I have a problem with this mod. I've already posted my problem on different forum but i didn't got any answer that worked. Here is my problem . I have a third party nintendo 64 controller (the brand yobo :http://i.ebayimg.com/t/3RD-PARTY-CLEAR- ... 64-/00/%24(KGrHqYOKpME5kKiPF%2BiBOc9VyPenw~~_35.JPG ) There are two potentiometer in this controller that are exacltly the same as this one http://kyorune.com/modding/file.php?art=82&file=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I wired up my gamecube joystick to the controller as the old joystick was wired but here is the problem : the joystick look like it isn't enought sensitive ; when i play zelda for exemple the character barely move foward . I tried with 3 different joystick (two that came from the same third party gamecube controller and one that i bought on ebay ) and i tried the mod with 3 different controller ( the yobo one that i mentionned earlier and two that i bought on ebay (they don't have any brand name but they has the same potentiometer as the yobo one )) but the problem is still there . On another forum someone told me to put a resistor like in this guide : http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; But it didn't work . Any solution would be greatly appreciate .

Thank you

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:34 am

Wow. Blast to the past... Please note the date of the last post in this thread, and be prepared for a mod to lock it now. They really don't like it when people bring threads back from the dead.

In the mean time, all I can say for sure is that YMMV with this mod. It seems as though most people have trouble with it. I, apparently, got lucky on the first try with my pot values.

You need to measure the resistances of all four potentiometers with the joystick centered and at both limits of the X and Y axes. So that should be 12 measurements total. This will give some insight as to where your problem lies.

Edit: I like how Ben is getting the credit for this mod... At the bottom of that page you linked to, it says "Written by Kyo. First done by Ben Heckendorn (I believe)." It was first done by me, but, it's all good I guess... too busy to email "Kyo" and complain about something so trivial.