Rebuilt SNES controller w/ 4021 IC's - schematic correct?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian
Rebuilt SNES controller w/ 4021 IC's - schematic correct?

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:38 am

I'm asking anyone who knows from experience - is this picture correct? It's from gamesx.com, FYI. I built this, and it's not working for unknown magical reasons. Rather than ripping it apart and trying again, I'd like to ask a quick question - am I right in assuming that the IC's are shown from a top-down perspective? If not, then I just wired everything in a mirror image :?

Actually, now that I think of it, has anybody successfully copied Ben's instructions for rebuilding the SNES controller with two 4021 IC's? I know it's been attempted, but who's actually got it working perfectly? If it's you, then hook me up with the info! This is the last step in making my SNESp, and rebuilding it like this is all that I have room for in my case (so please don't tell me just to use the SNES controller board). Thanks!

dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:34 am

I believe Turbo has his controller for his original built from the 4021 IC's

I really dont know I wasn't too worried about this part just yet so check the extremtech thing

*EDIT*
here is the link
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:44 am

That schematic is correct. And the ICs are displayed from the top down.

If your like me, you probably just wired something to a pin above/below where it's suppose to go. :P :lol:
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks for the replies, guys. I do have Ben's book, but in trying to build the circuit myself I found the pic from gamesx was easier to follow. Hmm, well, time to troubleshoot...

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:21 pm

There is an easier and smaller way than using 2 4021 ICs. Use one SNES controller IC. Just the IC. It works.
Hey, sup?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:35 pm

No resistors?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:25 pm

None needed. Just follow the directions in the wiki, that's what I did and it worked on my first try. And NOTHING works on my first try for me.
Hey, sup?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:57 pm

Well that makes things a heck of a lot easier. I assumed that you needed the resistors and doodads on the SNES controller board, and so didn't bother messing with that IC. I'm a careful enough person at soldering that I think I can do it with some success. I guess Ben just suggested it in his book because a lot of his audience is beginners, and often times beginners = horrible at soldering. But hey, we were all beginners once. I was comparing some of my earliest soldering jobs to my current ones recently, and I never realized how much I've improved over the last year.

I think I'll just hot glue the IC on top of some perfboard and anchor the wires to that, and just use some leads to bridge the connections. It'll be easier to fix things later if I need to.

Tighe
360 GamerTag:Tighe Lory

Re: Rebuilt SNES controller w/ 4021 IC's - schematic correct?

Post by Tighe » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 am

Life of Brian wrote:I'm asking anyone who knows from experience - is this picture correct? It's from gamesx.com, FYI. I built this, and it's not working for unknown magical reasons. Rather than ripping it apart and trying again, I'd like to ask a quick question - am I right in assuming that the IC's are shown from a top-down perspective? If not, then I just wired everything in a mirror image :?

Actually, now that I think of it, has anybody successfully copied Ben's instructions for rebuilding the SNES controller with two 4021 IC's? I know it's been attempted, but who's actually got it working perfectly? If it's you, then hook me up with the info! This is the last step in making my SNESp, and rebuilding it like this is all that I have room for in my case (so please don't tell me just to use the SNES controller board). Thanks!

I am building a replacement Virtual Boy controller, can I assume that the 4 pins that are only connected to ground via 10k resistors would be the second d-pad on the VB?

Here is the project I will be using it in:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=180916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Tighe

thoralmighty

Post by thoralmighty » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:40 am

would be the second d-pad on the VB?
good question. i have no idea((

Tighe
360 GamerTag:Tighe Lory

Post by Tighe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:18 am

thoralmighty wrote:
would be the second d-pad on the VB?
good question. i have no idea((
Thanks! I got it figured out now.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;