While I'm waiting on a few parts to come in, I thought I'd start up a small and quick project (hopefully) that I should have done by the end of the week. I acquired a GBA in a bulk buy from a friend of mine a few months ago and it came with a very scratched up screen and a few dings in it. Worked great though. So I ordered in a replacement screen covering (screen was fine, covering was scratched up pretty good) and was about to swap it when I got to thinking how much I hate how dark the GBA screen is. With no back light, it made for impossible viewing in dark or reflective areas.
So I decided to do an LED mod using 3MM white LEDs, 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom. Of course where to put them was a problem as well as what I was going to use to power them. So that led to the update of the systems batteries in which now there is a 7.4V 2000ma Li-Ion battery with a 7805 regulator in it's place. Yes I will be putting in a recharge jack, probably mini USB to recharge the batteries. This should also greatly increase play time even with 4 LEDs going.
So getting as far as I could today as I do not have the proper resistor to power the LEDs correctly, I got the LED's in place, the battery placed and the case halves painted. Again, a nice Red, White and Black.
Hopefully the resistors will be in this week and I can finish this off so I can start back up on my desk. Just waiting for some more parts for that one as well. But I'll keep you updated as I go! Enjoy!