GameBoy Advance SP MOD

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

chainfire95
Re: GameBoy Advance SP MOD

Post by chainfire95 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:37 pm

I'm wiring the original power switch now.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:02 pm

I want to incorporate some LEDs but I don't know where. I was thinking possibly making a very thin see through strip of plastic at the joint so it has a illuminated line all of the way around. Post your thoughts and ideas.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:48 pm

Ok, so I am in the finishing stages before the paint and I have one question. Can I wire up any of these batteries to extend my battery life to the SP, or is there a way to add more batteries if not these ones?

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:19 am

If you look around you can find emergency chargers for the GBA SP that take 4 AA batterys, I was going to use one for the same mod your doing

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:23 pm

As long as they have the same voltage, can't I wire them in parallel with no ill effects?

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:14 pm

Okay, with work and school I've had very little time to work on anything. What would I need to do to use two Sp batteries to double the capacity. Can I simply wire them in parallel?

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 pm

i would think so
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't know about that, maybe, maybe not, I'm no expert, but I believe the protection circuit is designed for a certain number of cells, if you change that, it might not work. I don't know, don't quote me.

Vort

Post by Vort » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:05 pm

I would suggest getting an answer from someone like Palmer (I know I always refer to him for everything xD)
But yeah..you are dealing with Li-On batteries here, you've gotta be careful.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:14 pm

If you want to use the normal GBA SP charging circuit, then you will need to use only one cell. More will work, but not be safe, and may not charge equally.

I used a 2000mah cell phone battery one time, worked fine. I suggest getting a cheap PSP battery off dealextreme.com and using the cell, most of the ones they claim to be "1800mah" or higher are really around 1500mah, which is a good size. More than double the pitiful 600mah the original SP has, not to mention the degradation since you bought it. ;)

Excellent

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:30 am

I finally cleared up some of work and school and got time to work on this a bit.

I picked up some batteries from my local reuse center for dirt cheap, and I'd like your guys input on which I should use.

The original SP battery is a 3.7V with 650mAh by the way.

Obviously they all offer greater battery life, but the two cell phone battery would make me very tight on space, while the camera battery is very small and tactile. What do you guys think?

fgl82

Post by fgl82 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:09 pm

What happened with this project?

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:51 pm

I cracked the custom screen that I had cut so I need to get another one. Overall I have just been too busy with work and school to work on it. Hopefully I will finish it this week since I have break. Ill be sure to post pictures.

fgl82

Post by fgl82 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:22 am

Great! Looking forward to see the pics!

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:27 pm