GameBoy Advance SP MOD

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

chainfire95
GameBoy Advance SP MOD

Post by chainfire95 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 am

I'm currently working on a project to input the internal workings of my GBA SP into my Gameboy Original case. So far the project has been pretty straightforward. I will be updating my progress on this thread.
Last edited by chainfire95 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

snowpenguin

Re: GameBoy Advance SP MOD

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:12 pm

If you're just looking to use the original buttons, make little boards with tact switches that fit right under the original buttons, then wire the tact switches to the spots on the SP board. Hopefully there's room.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:06 pm

would it be easier to desolder and use the original SP .4mm tact switches, or use normal 6mm switches?
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:08 pm

It's up to you. If you use the SP tacts it will feel like the real thing. If you use normal tacts it will be clicky. If you use mushy tacts it will feel classic.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm just wondering what would be the easiest. Because those pesky little .2mm thick tacts aren't the easiest thing in the world to desolder and run wires to.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:24 pm

I have done this, with my "Power Gameboy". Your best bet is to either use tacts, or wire to the original DMG button board. On the SP, just rip off the tact switches, each one has 4 contacts, two ground, and two button signal. Pretty easy to figure out.

Excellent

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:56 am

would it be better to use this kind of tact switch

Or this kind

And how do I find the grounds on tact switches?

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:30 am

Go with the first ones. Switches aren't polarized, they're just connecting wires. On a tact switch you just put your wires diagonal from eachother. One side of the switch is one pole, and the other side is the other. If you can't tell which way the sides go, just use diagonal contacts.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:44 am

If I want to extend the ports and power switches can i simply use wire extensions?

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:59 pm

UPDATE: Just finished fixing the new extended L and R buttons onto the GB original case.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:48 pm

Any pics? :mrgreen:

Excellent

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:04 am

Pics later
Last edited by chainfire95 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:52 pm

Now i want to use the GB originals headphone jack, how do I do this?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:04 pm

The GBA SP has the headphone lines on the charging port, just wire those to the wires going to the little headphone daughterboard.

Excellent

chainfire95

Post by chainfire95 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:09 pm

the Daughterboard has 4 wires, the charging port has 6 contacts. Pics or diagram?