Tyson's 50c DS housing mods [pics]

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

tysonDS
Tyson's 50c DS housing mods [pics]

Post by tysonDS » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 pm

Hi guys,

I couldn't find a replacement housing in the city today and I needed some dremel practice anyway, so here's my 50c DVD case.

The good news is, I managed to fit a DS Lite into a SNES cartridge... Proving that it can be done! And Super Mario World no less :yess:

(you have to shave a fair bit off the sides of the DS mobo to get it to fit tho, it's pretty snug)

It's still a WIP. I'm trying to find a good hinge to use on the SNES cart, so that when you open it the top LCD will be there as well.

I hope it all works out with enough room, cause using a SNES console as a DS docking cradle for your DS Lite would be so cool. :tup:

I've been thinking about putting my Nintendo SingleScreen in a Super Gameboy Cartridge. The extra height and the large curves on the cartridge make it extremely comfortable to hold.

When held with the flat back facing forward, the curves on the back make it a dream to hold. Plus I can also insert in a Gameboy game for looks :winker:

Another one, I think I haven't posted, my GBO Flask.

I was working on a backlight mod for my Gameboy original, but I broke the ribbon cable. :boxed:

I decided to make this instead. Pretty simple mod.

GBO provided a lot of good times when I was kid, it's gonna provide some good times now too.

8)

Pics of my black Lego SNES to come soon, but the lego didn't cost 50c :cry:

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:49 pm

nice gbo flask!
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Nice idea on the GBO flask, but mine are all too big for me to get away with that. lol
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:12 am

That's from the CrocoDoc game! I have that!

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Tyson, your entire post made me laugh.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

tysonDS

Post by tysonDS » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:22 pm

*thumbs up* Crocodile's Dentist rocks :wink:

I got all 3 when i was in Singapore, the keyring one, the coffee table one and the giant one.

They actually make the best drinking game, very easy to get drunk if you don't know which tooth to push!

Sorry I haven't posted any new pics (I have more experiments to post up) but recently I finished putting an SP frontlight in my original GBA and an 8hz overclock in, and somehow got myself addicted to pokemon.
(Jesus, nobody tell any hot girls I'm playing pokemon okay...)

Although I have only been modding 4 weeks now, I counted up how many units I have gutted/killed :(

2 GB DMG's, 1 GBP, 1 GBA, 1 GBA SP, 1 DS, 1 PSP, 1 SNES and a Palm.

On the flip-side, I have ended up with:

A DS that can fit in DVD Cover or SNES Cartridge (wip)
The same DS can accept SNES Controller or 6 Button Arcade Stick via GBA Slot port.
1 GBA original with overspeed and frontlighting.
1 Lego SNES
1 Halo/Metallic painted SNES
A DS with a PSP joystick and Xbox controller grips.

Still disappointed I killed those 3 Gameboys though. Each time I was on the finishing step of the Backlighting (Foil, Frosted Plastic and LED's almost in place) before I killed the ribbon cables. Ugh

I feel bad cause I feel like I've killed a piece of 20 year old gaming history!

But 3 or 4 GB's for 1 Backlit GB would be ok ;)

I think in future, when I want to backlight something, instead I will just buy a replacement DS Phat top screen for $16 and remove the front light guide and use that instead.

I have one Black GBA original that I killed the mobo on, I would really like to hack up an old mobile phone and put it in there, and hookup the D-pad to D-pad, and the B & A to Call and Disconnect. (How would I write an SMS though??)

Update: My brother just gave me his Purple Gamecube and said "Go ahead, kill it". Not sure if I should portable it, but I am going to Malaysia in 2 weeks time.

Do you think I can buy one of those LCD's cheap there? (I can so see where all my holiday spending money is going.. hehehe).

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 am

Ha! A similar thing happened to me. My brother came in the room, gave me his old gameboy pocket and said "here, you wanna put this on ebay as well?" and I was like "sure"

I then proceeded to open it up. I think I'll overclock it.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:26 pm

Howd u get it to work without the top screen attached? Mine just blinks and powers off. :?
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

tysonDS

Post by tysonDS » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:51 pm

^ you have to do an override, very simple, there's this little chip and you have to bridge the connection of 2 pins using a piece of wire.

I'm sorry I can't remember exactly which pins, but I found the pic of the pins on acidmods.
I am a case modder trying to be a portablizer. Will get there one day. :)