TUTORIAL: Make a Pandora's Battery without a homebrew PSP!

Trying to get homebrew running on your PSP? Want to add a screen light to your Game Boy? Trying to figure out how to work your GP2X? By popular demand, discuss it in here! (This forum is for pre-built handhelds, NOT custom made portables!)

Moderator:Moderators

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:46 am

I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:11 pm

jeroen wrote:well cutting it. But i guess that would mess up the battery now would it? So the answer is no.
How would clipping the pin ruin the battery?

A quick dab of solder would fix it right back up.

And since I'm an idiot about this whole Pandora thing let me ask a question.

If you de-solder the pin, you have a Pandora battery? So you don't need to run the Pandora Battery firmware stuff from the command prompt on your PC? You can just insert the battery and run the downgrader on your "Magic Memory stick" ?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 pm

hailrazer wrote:
jeroen wrote:well cutting it. But i guess that would mess up the battery now would it? So the answer is no.
How would clipping the pin ruin the battery?

A quick dab of solder would fix it right back up.

And since I'm an idiot about this whole Pandora thing let me ask a question.

If you de-solder the pin, you have a Pandora battery? So you don't need to run the Pandora Battery firmware stuff from the command prompt on your PC? You can just insert the battery and run the downgrader on your "Magic Memory stick" ?
In theory, yes clipping the pin would work. But you would almost certainly end up touching the two pins together in the process, resulting in a short which damages the microcontroller.

Yes, this will create a Pandora's battery but you still need to run the command prompt stuff to create the Magic Memory Stick. That's not the point of this hack. The point is to be able to use the Pandora's Battery without having another PSP to convert the battery.

-iam

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:52 pm

iam7805 wrote:
In theory, yes clipping the pin would work. But you would almost certainly end up touching the two pins together in the process, resulting in a short which damages the microcontroller.

Yes, this will create a Pandora's battery but you still need to run the command prompt stuff to create the Magic Memory Stick. That's not the point of this hack. The point is to be able to use the Pandora's Battery without having another PSP to convert the battery.

-iam
OK. Now if you already have a Magic Memory Stick. Then you just lift the pin and then insert the memory stick and battery and downgrade your PSP Slim ?

And nobody has yet confirmed/denied that you can resolder the pin and have a regular working battery ?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:49 am

Yes.

I don't know about resoldering the pin, though...

-iam

DSpider

Post by DSpider » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:55 pm

I hope you can shed some light...

1. Is this picture accurate ?

2. What if I were to *accidentally* shortcircuit pins 5 and 6 ? Would that render the battery unusable ?
Even if there's no juice left ? I mean, total 0% after 24h between two powerful speaker magnets ?

3. Can't I just cut it ? :D I know how to use a soldering gun, but I'd preffer NOT to when it comes to screwing around with a battery (past experiences caused a few traumas).

4. What if I isolate all the pins (except pin 5) by applying transparent nail polish, and then cut it ? If you think nail polish is not very effective (which I'm starting to guess myself), can I use a thin plastic surface (like an ID card, credit card, CD, etc) to form a barrier, and then cut it ? That is, if pins 5 and 6 need to be totally separated.

5. A while ago I asked if it's ok to order a pre-made battery. Then someone told me I'd still need a homebrew-enabled PSP (or running the official 1.5) in order to make the Magic Memory Stick. Is that true ? :|
Do I need a card reader or will the files be copied ok while running official firmware ?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:42 pm

iam7805 wrote:

-iam
Um...yeah I did this and you still need a homebrew PSP to run the magic memory stick program.
Hey, sup?

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:28 pm

Kurt_ wrote:
iam7805 wrote:

-iam
Um...yeah I did this and you still need a homebrew PSP to run the magic memory stick program.
What if you have a Memory stick reader on your computer, like I do?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:55 pm

No you don't. As I've said before, if you do a bit of Googling you'll find dumps of the memory stick. You can then write to the memory stick with a reader attached to a USB port (in my case I used the card slots in my Epson printer).

-iam

Bobtentpeg

Post by Bobtentpeg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:03 pm

heres my issue.

I know how to solder adn all that jazz, and I;m very familar with a PSP...but...

my battery has no board like yours shows, its a 3.6 1800mAh Sony Battery Pack, bought from BestBuy.

All it is is a battery and a board on top

I figured out which chip it is that i need to unsolder, my only question is, will it work with a battery that doesnt have the big chip

Britishwookie

Diff bat.

Post by Britishwookie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:09 pm

So I'm still new to this, but i am experienced at soldering so when i herd about this I was very happy, but my problem is my official PSP bat does have different insides here's some pics.

(Bad pic of the Board)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/g ... spmobo.jpg

(Under side of bat Board)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/g ... spbbat.jpg

(Better pic of bat board)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/g ... pspbat.jpg

(Bat cover showing official PSP Bat)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/g ... batcov.jpg

So basically its the same one (I'm guessing) as Bobtentpeg
Question to Bob though does your bat work after you took the cover off?

bz5

Post by bz5 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:11 pm

Bobtentpeg wrote:heres my issue.

I know how to solder adn all that jazz, and I;m very familar with a PSP...but...

my battery has no board like yours shows, its a 3.6 1800mAh Sony Battery Pack, bought from BestBuy.

All it is is a battery and a board on top

I figured out which chip it is that i need to unsolder, my only question is, will it work with a battery that doesnt have the big chip
Yeah, I have the same problem. Battery is a PSP-110 original that came with the PSP, 1800, 3.6, but the board is VERY small, (fits on top of the battery core pack) and there is no IC like the one mentioned in the directions. How many different batteries are there? Someone should post more pictures of their batteries if they got this working so we can identify which battery has a full size board as the OP.

Britishwookie

Post by Britishwookie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:45 pm

hmmm now it seems my bat won't work :cry: after cracking the case any of us who has this smaller board bat get theres to work aftward, and anyone who has a 2200mah bat brave enough to take it apart to see if it has a big or small board (Went to walmart and this was the only psp bat they had and only store open at midnight)

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:57 am

Simple solution to all this: Program = win
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

r1tony

Post by r1tony » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:17 am

Britishwookie wrote:anyone who has a 2200mah bat brave enough to take it apart to see if it has a big or small board (Went to walmart and this was the only psp bat they had and only store open at midnight)
I just bought one at Walmart and cracked it open. It has the small pcb board at top of battery but the ic chip that you need to desolder is right there near the bottom.

I will post up pics after its done charging and desolder pin with results in a bit if you would like.