how to wire up bottons/joysticks to controller!! please help

Hacking a [insert console name here] but don't see a "[insert console name here] Hacking" forum? Come on in and post your [insert console name here] questions and build logs!

Moderator:Moderators

HardcoreLewscher
how to wire up bottons/joysticks to controller!! please help

Post by HardcoreLewscher » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:27 am

ok new question after ebaying, i found these 8)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/arcade-BUTTON-red ... 1e578d0dc4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i can see they have 2 metal thing i assume you wire :wink:
so do i basicaly wire them to the little metal bits on the motherboard of a controller to basically act as the rubber buttons?
lastly if so any resistors needed or that or is it just straight wireing between the button and the MotherBoard's contacts?

cheers for help people :)

(basically im planning on making my own arcade machine and wiring up a SEGA saturn in there, got like 50+ games from when i was a child lol, including MK3!! :idea: )
so ill just mount screen in there, have an extension cord in there and have the screen and saturn powered in there but connect the controler to the sega console and mod the controller with the arcade buttons so i need help on how to wire M-B controller to arcade buttons please
Last edited by HardcoreLewscher on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
\¯\/¯/ |¯|)¯) /¯/\¯\ \¯\/¯/
/_/\_\ |_|)_) \_\/_/ /_/\_\
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

rikitheshadow

Re: cost of the arcade buttons and joysticks??

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Depending on what style you get it can range greatly. Not to mention the type of joystick you would like, 8 way joys are very common these days, and mostly everything is convertible from 4 to 8 way.

From jammaboards.com

2 - Competition Style 8 Way Joystick - $8.95 a piece (Basic Joystick)
16 - Horizontal Pushbuttons w/ Microswitch - $1.95 a piece (Standard, color can vary)
2 - Horizontal Pushbuttons Player 1 and Player 2 w/ Microswitch - $2.25 a piece (Specialized White Colored Player1 & Player2 Buttons)

Total comes to like $49.26 (This is all USD) without any wires.
You could always spend a little more, but for 2 players with at least 8 buttons a piece and player 1 and player 2 start buttons its going to cost an average about $50 USD almost wherever you go. I choose jammaboards.com at the moment for some of the cheap deals they have, but you can always try HAPP.

I refer to it as "wherever you go" as MAX, didn't know what i was thinking I suppose.
Last edited by rikitheshadow on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Re: cost of the arcade buttons and joysticks??

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:05 pm

I think I payed around $30.00 for my 2 joysticks, and 14 buttons on ebay. That is including shipping.